PDA

View Full Version : something loud and ANZAC Day

Nick W.
24th April 2008, 12:35 PM
Hey All,

Just then (1231 GMT+10) I heard a loud jet go over sydney. Sounded like it came from the south towards the north, and initially I thought it was just a 727 on final for 16R, but the sound was very high-pitched, and continued to rumble for a minute afterwards, not in the direction of SYD. I suspect it would have been a military aircraft, but does anyone have any more info?

Would like to know, sounded very nice. Perhaps something preparing for ANZAC day tomorrow?

On that note, does anyone have any info for ANZAC day movements (i.e. flybys, etc) over the CBD tomorrow? I'm marching, and would like to know if I should be expecting anything!

Cheers,

Nick

Matt R
24th April 2008, 12:41 PM
I heard them, took a look out my office window to see the tails of a pair of fighters headed west over darling harbour. They may have been Hawks, but I didn't get a good look at them.

Bernie P
24th April 2008, 12:42 PM
Hey All,

Just then (1231 GMT+10) I heard a loud jet go over sydney.

Hey Nick,
I work IN the city, and heard NOTHING :p I am, actaully, sitting next to the Harbour and I have an office window that overlooks the Domain... Not even a wisper over the traffic noise going past! :confused:

Matt R
24th April 2008, 12:46 PM
Hey Nick,
I work IN the city, and heard NOTHING :p I am, actaully, sitting next to the Harbour and I have an office window that overlooks the Domain... Not even a wisper over the traffic noise going past! :confused:

I'm on Level 29 at the darling harbour end of market street, my office faces south (nice view of the airport!) and they went past my window.

Bernie P
24th April 2008, 12:50 PM
I'm on Level 29 at the darling harbour end of market street, my office faces south (nice view of the airport!) and they went past my window.

Oh dear, lucky you... :o

Sometimes, we get it good here, and others.... not so!:cool:

Matt R
24th April 2008, 12:55 PM
I get to see the Blackhawks doing the practise assaults too :)

Back when APEC was on, our HR manager had the crap scared out of her by the Hornets, pity that was on the other side of the office :(

Bernie P
24th April 2008, 12:57 PM
I get to see the Blackhawks doing the practise assaults too :)

Back when APEC was on, our HR manager had the crap scared out of her by the Hornets, pity that was on the other side of the office :(

We actually had APEC in here at work! :p Not to mention the Black Hawks sitting above us...

Seth Jaworski
24th April 2008, 01:13 PM
It was announced on 2GB that it was a pair of Hornets flying over as part of the commemoration service they were holding for the HMAS Sydney. Just had a look at smh.com.au and they are reporting the fly over as performed by 3 Hawks, so take your pick.

Nick W.
24th April 2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks, guys! Brilliant info.

I'm at Hunters Hill and heard them crystal clear!

Will most likely be on the news tonight, then.

Nick

Matt R
24th April 2008, 01:51 PM
It was for the HMAS Sydney service.

http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/Snowdontpl.cfm?CurrentId=7620

The service concluded with a flyover by three Royal Australian Air Force Hawk 127 aircraft.

Well I was right about the Hawks, I just didn't see the third one :)

Andrew C
24th April 2008, 02:32 PM
any fly pasts on ANZAC day over Sydney??

Andrew C
24th April 2008, 07:29 PM
Here is some information on fly pasts.
RAAF FA/18 HORNET AND HAWK AIRCRAFT FLYPASTS OVER ANZAC DAY SERVICES

What: Royal Australian Air Force FA/18 Hornet and Hawk aircraft, from RAAF Base Williamtown, near Newcastle, will be involved in flypast activities across NSW and ACT as part of the 2008 ANZAC Day commemorations.

The flypasts will be conducted over the locations below at a height of 1,000-1,500 feet and at speeds between 350-400kts.

When: Friday, 25 April 2008.

Flight Paths and Timings:

3 x FA/18 Hornet aircraft from Number 2 Operational Conversion Unit
09:30 Doyalson Wyee: Doyalson RSL Club, Pacific Highway
09:40 Belmont: corner of Pacific Highway and Ada Street
10:00 Newcastle: Newcastle Civic Park
10:35 Kempsey-Macleay: Belgrave Street, over Pacific Highway Bridge
10:48 Tea Gardens: Tea Gardens Memorial, Marine Drive
10:50 Nelson Bay: Nelson Bay Marina

4 x Hawk aircraft from Number 76 Squadron
11:00 Kangaroo Valley: Main Street (11:30-1200 Showground)
11:54 Canberra: War Memorial

1 x FA/18 Hornet from Number 2 Operational Conversion Unit
11:50 Catherine Hill Bay: Pacific Hwy and Swansea Channel intersection
12:15 The Entrance-Long Jetty: The Cenotaph, The Entrance
12:30 Old Bar Beach: Old Bar Beach Road to Club Old Bar

1 x FA/18 Hornet from Number 2 Operational Conversion Unit
15:15 Sydney: ANZ Stadium – Vertical Climb over stadium prior to NRL game kick-off.

MEDIA NOTE:
Assistance from the media is sought in notifying residents of this activity.

Media Contact:
Flight Lieutenant Justine Harman (RAAF Base Williamtown): 02 492 86818 or 0408 608386
Defence Media Liaison: 02 6265 3343 or 0408 498 664

Issued by Coordination and Public Affairs, Department of Defence, Canberra, ACT
Phone: 02 6265 3343 Fax: 02 6265 6946
Media releases area available by email if you register at the Online Media Room Homepage

Nick W.
24th April 2008, 09:49 PM
Bit of a bummer we're not going to get a hell of a lot over the CBD.

Cheers for the info, Andrew!

N