PDA

View Full Version : Fokker F27/50 21/12?

Kent Broadhead
22nd December 2009, 12:18 PM
This has been bugging me since yesterday, approx. 1600. Could i really have seen a F27/50 tracking SW following takeoff, or did I just look at a 340B form a strange angle?

Kent

NickN
22nd December 2009, 12:51 PM
Alliance had an F50 into Sydney the last few days you more than likely did see a F50.

David C
22nd December 2009, 01:04 PM
You probably saw a S340 , the RXA178 from Sydney bound for Orange which departed at about 1602Hrs .... can't help with the rego though .

Dave C

Peter Agatsiotis
22nd December 2009, 01:23 PM
Kent, you weren't 'seeing things'; VH-FKV was there on Sunday (at the GA outside the Hawker hangar).

My SBS log picked it up at 16:09; probably returning to Adelaide.

The Saab David noted was probably VH-OLL which I have at 16:04.

phil.l
22nd December 2009, 01:38 PM
Pete do you know what time it was there on sunday,i was there in the morning didn`t see then.(VH-FKV)

Peter Agatsiotis
22nd December 2009, 01:52 PM
I got there just after 3pm. Merv said it had already been in and out earlier.

My SBS log has it 8:05 to 8:20 (no heights!)
1:05pm to 1:26pm 17400 down to 13500
2:09pm to 2:27pm down to 4200 (which is when it arrived before I saw it)

So looks like the SBS didn't pick it up between 8:20 and 1:05pm

HTH
Peter

phil.l
22nd December 2009, 01:53 PM
Cheers Pete.

Kent Broadhead
22nd December 2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys. I only saw it briefly side-on ( I was in Marrickville), so only just caught the nose as it banked, but the the wingspan seemed too wide for any of the 340s or DHC8s, and then it had a low, horizontal rear control surface. Didn't see the nacelles, hence my F27/50 ref.

BTW, my first commercial flight was in an F27, and the Ansett Express F50s were much nicer than the opposition for regional flights in the 90s....

Kent

Raymond Rowe
22nd December 2009, 06:20 PM
The F27 were the ultimate aircraft to fly in on short hops.Once flew from ASP-DRW just for the fun of it.

Anthony T
22nd December 2009, 06:47 PM
Never got the chance to go fly on a F27, went with a scout group once in the mid '70's and went for a walk through on one, also a DC-9 with the scoutmaster who worked for Ansett.

I used to like riding about on the tugs at MEL with my dad, and raid the BA VC-10 for pommy newspapers, beer (for my dad) and chocolate bars (for me). :D

Grahame Hutchison
22nd December 2009, 07:25 PM
I remember flying Sydney - Melbourne in an East West F27 and I was sitting in the window seat aligned with the prop, which looked a little to close for comfort to me. This was in the days of the two airline policy (TAA and Ansett) and East West had to stop at Albury so they were not competing directly. From memory it was about 3hr all up and we had to do a go around in Melbourne because of low cloud and fog.

Still enjoyed that flight and another East West F27 flight from Sydney to Tamworth. Some years later I also did the Ansett F50 from Sydney to Wagga Wagga, returning in the Baron to Bankstown as we did not finish our work in time. To top of the Fokker trifecta, I also manager a few flights in East West F28, again Sydney - Melbourne.

Kent Broadhead
22nd December 2009, 07:33 PM
OK, if we're all reminiscing.....:)

That first F27 flight was a "mystery flight" to...... Wagga Wagga, with Airlines of NSW. Oh for the days of being invited into the cockpit on descent (I was about 8).

My most recent F50 flight was in 1998, KLM Cityhopper, Norwich to AMS

Kent

Greg McDonald
22nd December 2009, 08:10 PM
My first ever flight was on a F27 from Maryborough to Bundaberg. I remember I saved all my pocket money for the flights and had some serious talking to do before my parents would let me go by myself (I was about 12 I think). Cost was $72 each way and that was a heap of money back in '73. My memory now sucks but I still remember every minute of that flight!!

Mark D
22nd December 2009, 09:00 PM
OK, if we're all reminiscing.....:)

That first F27 flight was a "mystery flight" to...... Wagga Wagga, with Airlines of NSW. Oh for the days of being invited into the cockpit on descent (I was about 8).

As a trainee ATC in (well let's not go there... before a lot of you were born!) I did a week with East-West on cockpit rides. the F27 was a lot of fun to fly by the look of it and the jump seat was a fun place to be. I have interesting memories of a SY - AY (maybe WG but I think AY) flight, AY was fogged in (hardly a surprise in winter I think) and so they shot a few interesting approaches (local knowledge is good) before giving up and diverting to Corowa. The crew (& me) dug in and offloaded the bags onto the baggage trolley (the only indication that it was a diversion field) before the coach from AY with the outbound passengers and the ground agent arrived.
Ahh the good old days of a 'family' or small type operator. The interaction between the tech & cabin crews was great, they all knew each other & got on well.

Adam P.
22nd December 2009, 09:32 PM
AY was fogged in (hardly a surprise in winter I think)
Nothing's changed there!