PDA

View Full Version : Moderation of Quotes

David Knudsen
23rd December 2009, 11:37 AM
Feedback in the last few days has been that many of you do not like the moderation of posts which have quoted the entire post directly above.

Please use this poll to indicate your preference for moderation of the posts or not, and feel free to reply with any constructive discussion on the topic.

Philip Argy
23rd December 2009, 12:09 PM
In my opinion it's pretty simple - where quoting is needed for context or to avoid ambiguity, quote the text. Where the reply is to the whole of the immediately preceding post (like this one) it's a waste of screen real estate and time to have to scroll through a re-quote of what would usually already be on the same screen. :)

Anthony T
23rd December 2009, 02:43 PM
Moderate as required.

Those posts which are quoted multiple times that come with pictures should get the flick.

However if the content of text posts is relevent, let the post be made.

Owen H
23rd December 2009, 02:47 PM
I'm with Philip.

If the quote is appropriate and adds to understanding, then leave it. For example a one or two line post that is purely question. If it is just a pure regurgitation of the entire long post for the sake of it, then yes it should be actively discouraged.

Discretion is required, and a polite PM to the person guilty would probably sort it out, and should be used in preference to the hard line moderation which we've been seeing recently, especially for those who aren't frequent offenders and may have done it by accident.

As an aside, I'd say that the problem wasn't what was moderated.

Andrew McLaughlin
23rd December 2009, 04:13 PM
Feedback in the last few days has been that many of you do not like the moderation of posts which have quoted the entire post directly above.

In the last few days?!?!?:rolleyes:

I would suggest it's not necessarily the moderation or deleting of quotes that is the issue, but rather the in-bold comments that replace them that people do not like! Perhaps the poll should have a third option - No they should be moderated if necessary but without the childish in-bold scolding comments attached!

David Knudsen
23rd December 2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Andrew, obviously our intention isn't to come across as childish, but more so to let the poster (and other users) know that quoting the whole above post isn't necessary. I apologise to anyone who feels any of the moderators comments may have been childish or offensive.

If the poll decides that future moderation of quoted posts will be required, we won't be leaving comments, we will just delete them as required and send PM's to users who continue to "offend".

Geoff W
23rd December 2009, 04:39 PM
Andrew,

I think your point maybe valid, however going though all these posts every day must drive the mods nuts! It is free!

I have never been reprimanded by the mods, as I am sure LOTS of others havent been either.

After you have read a post or two when the "bolded messages" have been there, surely you will get the message.

I mean my comment sincerely and am NOT IN ANY WAY having a go at anyone who may have been in my language "bolded".

Kind regards,

Geoff

Craig Murray
23rd December 2009, 08:07 PM
Yes they should be moderated.

In this day and age, across many forums, people choose to press the quote button to reply to a post rather than editing the post down only to what requires being quoted.

I mean if I wanted to quote Geoff W above, I can press the quote button and do this:

Andrew,

I think your point maybe valid, however going though all these posts every day must drive the mods nuts! It is free!

I have never been reprimanded by the mods, as I am sure LOTS of others havent been either.

After you have read a post or two when the "bolded messages" have been there, surely you will get the message.

I mean my comment sincerely and am NOT IN ANY WAY having a go at anyone who may have been in my language "bolded".

Kind regards,

Geoff

Or I can choose to edit it PRIOR to pressing "Submit Reply" and quote only what is required, ie:

However in most cases it is never generally necessary to quote the person who appears directly above your post when read by others.

Personally, I think the "Reply with Quote" button should be removed and users manually insert anything they believe need to be quoted.

We have a great board and I believe it's professional appearance is something we should all strive to preserve.

Now go on, someone quote this entire post........ :D

Rhys Xanthis
23rd December 2009, 08:15 PM
If the whole post is about a single issue and you are replying to that, then don't quote.

But if there is something SPECIFIC in the post above and it is more than one sentence long, then quote but edit the quotation right down to only what you want to reply/answer/make a point about.

eg from Craig's post above:

Personally, I think the "Reply with Quote" button should be removed and users manually insert anything they believe need to be quoted.

The only problem with this is I'm not sure if a lot here are familiar with the inner workings of vbulletin and how to insert various scripts into their posts manually.

Rod Sloan
24th December 2009, 04:21 PM
Yes they should be moderated.

In this day and age, across many forums, people choose to press the quote button to reply to a post rather than editing the post down only to what requires being quoted.

I mean if I wanted to quote Geoff W above, I can press the quote button and do this:

Or I can choose to edit it PRIOR to pressing "Submit Reply" and quote only what is required, ie:

However in most cases it is never generally necessary to quote the person who appears directly above your post when read by others.

We have a great board and I believe it's professional appearance is something we should all strive to preserve.

Now go on, someone quote this entire post........ :D

Done. Didn't wanna let ya down Craig :):rolleyes: But it seems the 'quote' function did some moderating of its own.

Rod Sloan
24th December 2009, 04:23 PM
The quote feature would be far improved if it were modified so that the quote is limited to selected text only. It is done that way on a number of other forums.

Here here

Matt_L
24th December 2009, 05:40 PM
Have to agree with Andrew here.

Whilst some should be moderated- it is currently being overdone imho, and the bold messages left under a users name and post are very childish and in my opinion totally unnecessary.

Fair few people have left because of the politics like this, so why not let the ball roll unless a topic gets out of hand for example or someone is quoting a whole post of a page;)

Grant Smith
24th December 2009, 07:16 PM
Whilst some should be moderated- it is currently being overdone imho, and the bold messages left under a users name and post are very childish and in my opinion totally unnecessary.

Fair few people have left because of the politics like this, so why not let the ball roll unless a topic gets out of hand for example or someone is quoting a whole post of a page;)

Matt,

It may in some instances be overdone, but you, as a repeat offender should appreciate the mods tolerance of your antics.

Whilst to some degree I can understand the mods concerns a certain few repeat offenders, this issue, along with the literacy levels on the board will continue to be a thorn in the side.

My opinion only,

Name and shame the repeat offenders, but give peace a chance and let those who infringe rarely to have the opportunity to rectify their path to righteousness.

Peace be with you :D

Philip Argy
25th December 2009, 06:54 AM
Quote only the quotable, and moderate in moderation, if I may be so bold.

And after this anniversary of the three wise men, please all have an awesome twenty-ten!

:)

Gerard M
1st January 2010, 06:46 PM
I didn't have a problem with the mods previous methods of cracking down on the quotes because it just gets to the point when people don't use the reply button and just go straight to quote. You get ridiculous quotes like # 33 in Anthony's thread "You dont see this any more". Those are the ones that really need to be sorted out, as we don't need the photos to be quoted when they are one post above and cluttering up a perfecty good thread!! So keep up the good work mods.

1st January 2010, 06:53 PM
Those are the ones that really need to be sorted out, as we don't need the photos to be quoted when they are one post above and cluttering up a perfecty good thread!! So keep up the good work mods.

Duly noted Gerard, and cleaned up ;) - Thanks for the kind comment.

Andrew McLaughlin
1st January 2010, 06:56 PM
Looks like this thread has been 'moderated' as well...

:confused::confused::confused:

Owen H
1st January 2010, 06:58 PM
I was in the middle of a post asking for this thread to be moderated, which seems to have happened... I have had some faith in this board restored.

Kurt A
1st January 2010, 07:13 PM
Andrew,

Yes, certain comments unrelated to this threads' existence weren't appropriate to remain, hence the removal of some posts, to keep this thread somewhat 'on-topic'.

And, as you will appreciate, we've pretty much left this thread open for slather on the Moderator's, not for user's to flame other users ;)

And as Philip so diligently put it, and consistent with our messaging here (http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=4621), we'll continue to do our best to moderate in moderation, and also take a zero tolerance policy when necessary.