http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/Jet8595/100_4873.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/Jet8595/100_4860_1.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/Jet8595/100_4883.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/Jet8595/100_4874.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/Jet8595/100_4857_1.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/Jet8595/100_4868_1.jpg

Dan Collins
24th December 2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks for sharing Todd! Bankstown is a pretty good place to spot, especially for Runway 11 ops (as I've noticed).

Your photo of JWY is the favourite for me of the bunch :)

Dan

Todd Steele
24th December 2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks Dan, were you flying JWY on that day?;)

Dan Collins
24th December 2009, 01:45 PM
Nah mate, I'm only flying 152's at the moment.

Dan

Todd Steele
24th December 2009, 02:04 PM
Ah, thanks, next time i see one i'll try and get a photo:cool:

Matt_L
24th December 2009, 08:38 PM
haha still quite a few 152s at bankstown... nice photos Todd..

I always enjoyed watching movements from there, especially when you have Dick Smith or one of the local bizjets roar out from runway centre on a clear day!

Todd Steele
25th December 2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks Matt:cool:

Maikha Ly
27th December 2009, 04:30 PM
Awesome photos!

Whenever I was in Sydney, I always made the time to spend some at Bankstown spotting GA traffic, which is easier and closer to where I was compared to YSSY.

Hoping to spend more time out there now I'm in Sydney more often, are there any particular 'special' movements one could photograph out there? I'm hoping to get shots of planes like any Bankstown based Fairchild Metros and anything beyond single-engined aircraft.

Thanks! :)

Todd Steele
27th December 2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the comment:cool: The amazing Sky Cranes are there often as well as Convair 580's and the Metro's, sometime Bizjet's come and go:cool: Hope that helps;)

Stephen Brown
27th December 2009, 09:39 PM
Awesome photos!
Thanks! :)

Ahh No, not really.

Maikha Ly
27th December 2009, 09:51 PM
I'm sorry I don't follow.

The first and last two photographs were of particular interest to me. If you don't think otherwise, I guess it's each to their own. :)

Todd Steele
28th December 2009, 08:54 AM
Ahh No, not really.

Oh i'm sorry:mad:

Stephen Brown
28th December 2009, 09:07 AM
Todd,

If your going to post your photos in a public forum you will have to expect and accept criticism.

I'm not going to **** in your pocket and tell you they are fantastic when they aren't. If you want to be a better photographer take it on board and look to improve your technique.

I see you have started to upload to Jetphotos. If someone tells you they are 'awesome' photos when they aren't, you may try to upload them thinking that they are worthy of the database. You will only be met with disappointment and you will have wasted the screeners time. (and for full disclosure, I am a JP screener).

Brendon I.
28th December 2009, 12:06 PM
Oh i'm sorry:mad:

Todd, I understand your frustration. A hard bunch to please on here sometimes when all you intended to do was share a few photos from a bit of spotting at Bankstown. Maybe you won't win any awards or have the photos accepted to JetPhotos but who cares? Yes, it is a public forum so maybe we should expect a bit of criticism but you would hope that it is constructive and that you may be able to learn something from it.

Ahh No, not really.

Yes it is criticism , hardly constructive though. Wont do anything to improve anyones technique.

Stephen Brown
28th December 2009, 12:15 PM
There's just to much wrong with them to point out all the faults. If you don't want people to comment on them, don't post them inline, set up a Flickr account and just link to that.

If somebody's going to say that their 'awesome' (a much abused and overused word) then I'm going to say they aren't.

If he wants help he should ask.

And Brendon, they have been numerous occasions where pics have been posted here and people have gushed over them, and no one has said a word against them.

Drew H
28th December 2009, 12:30 PM
I, at least, enjoyed your photo's Todd, regardless of quality.

Dan Collins
28th December 2009, 12:43 PM
Tricky situation here. From what I can see, Todd posted the photos and simply asked us to 'enjoy'. Whilst this is a public forum, he didn't ask for critique so he didn't set himself up to expect any (but perhaps, should have).

Then, Stephen's comment seemed to be in reply to Maikha's earlier post which led him to explain that he didn't like Todd's photos.

That's all fine, but Todd only posted 5 photos, I thought one in particular was quite good - I'm no professional photographer, I don't have any pics submitted on jetphotos or airliners, but sheesh, it's a forum to post up stuff and let people take a look - Todd may not have had any intention to post these to Jetphotos at all. I know they've been posted on other aviation forums though - and why not? Regardless of your own thoughts, Todd's obviously proud of them to show other aviation minded enthusiasts.

You posted that Todd can ask for help if he wants, but he never asked for your critique in the first place yet you chose to provide one - albeit a very vague one. It's fine that you don't want to blow sunshine or provide a positive comment if you don't feel it's warranted, but a little more explanation would've provided some encouragement to Todd for further improvement. How else is he supposed to improve should he want to share his photos again?

Maybe some pointers on one of the photos would've been more helpful if you didn't want to tackle the entire suite. I think anything could have been more helpful than a simple 'not really'.

Anyway, whatever... yes we should expect criticism, and so should those who provide it - even as I expect to receive some for this. But be mindful, this place could become quite dull if suddenly no one wants to post their photos anymore (extreme, but you get the point.)

Dan

Todd Steele
28th December 2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys:cool: If you don't like the photos don't comment, I have only started photography for a year now so i am new to this:cool: These weren't even edited, while i guess most of yours are Stephen?:D

matthew mcdonald
28th December 2009, 01:20 PM
Dan I could not have said that any better myself. You hit every single point right on the head.

And Stephen you really need to get off your high horse and stop trying to make everything to do with Jet Photos and professional photography. You really have to realise that some people are not as good at photography as you are and dont think about photography websites when they really just want to share there photos with people that they think enjoy the same stuff that they do.

Todd Steele
28th December 2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys very much for the comments and tips:cool::cool:

Matt_L
28th December 2009, 04:06 PM
Todd et al,

whilst the photos are without a doubt not of jetphotos.net quality/standard (and that's no disrespect to you Todd- it is just an art which has to be continually refined and practised and alot of the Sydney spotters for example with 100s of photos on the major websites have rejections so no ones perfect).. If you do want some tips, feel free to ask- pm me or indeed anyone else and id/we be happy to help.

I originally percieved Todd's posting as a non-critique display of some photos he had taken with no mention of him uploading to jetphotos etc.. whether he has or not is his prerogative (we all start somewhere)..

AND By the way- if Todd wanted advice on his photos WITH regard to jetphotos.net surely he would post on the forums there, as these forums have no affiliation with the website and there are rejection/tips specific for photography.. Just a thought Stephen

Krzysztof M
28th December 2009, 04:20 PM
I'll tell you story about something that took place many, many years ago. Being a musician, it's the first one that comes to my mind, read on if you care. So back in the 70s the was this young poor pianist somewhere in Russia. She was a very good pianist, generally liked but somehow couldn't make it in the industry. So one day she decided to fly to New York and have a lesson with who was considered to be the best teacher in the world, Rosina Lhevinne at Juilliard. Her family saved up lots of money for the flight and the class and off she went. She tried her best, played for the teacher excited but after she finished, the teacher closed the music book and gave it back to the girl without a word and left. The girl opened the book and all the teacher wrote was: 'Not good'. She flew back home upset/angry/broke/etc and couldn't understand how arrogant the teacher was. Yet after a while, a strange urge started to build up inside her and instead of waiting for guidelines she started her own research, started digging deeper, comparing and wondering if it's better. She basically understood the point. After a year she saved money again to fly to New York to play for the same teacher. She played anxiously and the teacher wrote something in the book, closed it and left without a word. She opened the book and saw 'Good'.

Without making primitive comments, give it a thought.

Stephen Brown
28th December 2009, 04:27 PM
The above range of posts now show why this once great board has turned into a bunch of puerile rubbish. All the great people with great information don't post here anymore. The kiddie factor has run amok.

The board used to be a great place until all the good people with the best info were forced to leave.

I've been a part of this board for a long time, and I've done my part to support this board, what have you guys done?

28th December 2009, 05:02 PM
Just some photos i took on a windy and overcast day. Enjoy:cool:

I'm not sure why such a simple an innocent comment has drawn so much negativity.

Let's be DONE with the negativity here peoples. Move along now... thank you!

Maikha Ly
28th December 2009, 06:46 PM
And getting back to topic, I'm hoping someone might be able to help with my query posted earlier on, with my desires to go spotting and photographing at Bankstown Airport and if there is any particular aircraft that might be of interest.

My primary interest in aviation, beyond airliners, is infact multi-engine turbo props like the SAABs and Q400s, although at Bankstown, I'm also interested in getting a few shots of local Fairchild Metro's based in the area. I'm told a few of these fly out of there of an evening doing 'bank runs', and the next best thing for me than catching all the money that may fall out of them is getting a shot of one :)

And also, hoping to see the Convair in flight as well, as I've driven past this aircraft many a time, but would be great to see it airbourne!

My original post before it got lost in off-topicness!
http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost.php?p=39539&postcount=8
Hoping to spend more time out there now I'm in Sydney more often, are there any particular 'special' movements one could photograph out there? I'm hoping to get shots of planes like any Bankstown based Fairchild Metros and anything beyond single-engined aircraft.

Many thanks! :)