PDA

View Full Version : Spot the Error

Andrew McLaughlin
26th April 2008, 11:20 AM
OK, I know it's sunny outside for the first time in, what, 14 days(!), but I've found a couple of interesting anomolies on Google Earth's (free version) current view of YSSY - can anyone else spot them?

33°56'27.60"S, 151°10'29.41"E

One is fairly obvious, but the other is a toughie. Hint - you'll need to zoom in really close...

Cheers

Nigel C
26th April 2008, 12:50 PM
You're not looking at the 'Building a Better Airport' writing all across the top of the Ops building roof, are you?:D

There is a Dash-8 facing South on Rwy 16R between Golf and Rwy 07/25, and there's a Thai B747 lining up for Rwy 34L at Alpha-6 at the same time.
Me thinks they were about to do a runway change...there's a Qantas B737 just vacating off on Bravo-7 turning northbound onto Bravo.

The photo was taken during the height of the A380 preparation works.

Andrew McLaughlin
26th April 2008, 01:43 PM
You're not looking at the 'Building a Better Airport' writing all across the top of the Ops building roof, are you?:D

There is a Dash-8 facing South on Rwy 16R between Golf and Rwy 07/25, and there's a Thai B747 lining up for Rwy 34L at Alpha-6 at the same time.
Me thinks they were about to do a runway change...there's a Qantas B737 just vacating off on Bravo-7 turning northbound onto Bravo.

The photo was taken during the height of the A380 preparation works.

Hey Nigel

Yes and no - certainly the Thai 747 and the Q400 facing each other was one of the anomolies, but me thinks more than one satellite pass went into covering the whole airport...that's another clue for the second 'anomoly'.

Cheers

Daniel F
26th April 2008, 02:02 PM
Is it the 3 SQ 747's there... 2 at the terminal and the 3rd parked next to the VS A340 and UA 747?

Daniel F
26th April 2008, 02:05 PM
Actually... I think I found it... HS-TGT is at the terminal at the same time as being at the 34L.

Andrew McLaughlin
26th April 2008, 02:14 PM
Actually... I think I found it... HS-TGT is at the terminal at the same time as being at the 34L.

Ding ding ding ding...give that man a stuffed Gorilla! Good spotting there Daniel! :cool:

Might be a good idea for an ongoing thread...a 'what's wrong with this picture' or 'spot the error' thread?

Daniel - care to take up the challenge and submit a pic?

Are the mods able to change the thread title?

Let me know what you prefer - amsy

Mark Grima
26th April 2008, 10:34 PM
I have one, although it is not aviation related, does that matter?

Have a look at Sydney Olympic Park, not so much for something wrong but considering the photos on Google Earth are not taken/updated all that often there is certainly something unusual with on of the venues.

Cheers

M

Jethro H
26th April 2008, 11:07 PM
I gather there are photo over lapse errors.

Up until a couple weeks ago, next to the QE2 parked in Circular Quay, it showed one ferry 'crashed' into another.

Just like my car is parked in my driveway, and it is also parked at my work... 30 km away!

Andrew McLaughlin
27th April 2008, 10:15 AM
I have one, although it is not aviation related, does that matter?

Have a look at Sydney Olympic Park, not so much for something wrong but considering the photos on Google Earth are not taken/updated all that often there is certainly something unusual with on of the venues.

Cheers

M

Mark

If you mean the cricket pitch inside the Olympic Stadium (sorry, I refuse to call it Telstra or ANZ or whatever it is this week!), yeah, pretty unusual!

I was actually looking at Olympic Park on Friday morning before I took the kids down to see the Hornet flyby of the Roosters-Dragons match, and noticed the pitch then.

They played a couple of state Twenty20 games there last year and they have a drop-in pitch for the stadium.

Cheers

Andrew

David O.
27th April 2008, 10:53 AM
Anyone seen the Manly Ferry at Circular Quay on Google Earth?;)

By the way, Google Earth takes like a few pictures of each area and lays them over each other, so thats why you see 2 TG planes.

Quick update on Manly Ferry: The half-sunk one isnt there anymore :(

Mark Grima
27th April 2008, 05:51 PM
Mark
If you mean the cricket pitch inside the Olympic Stadium (sorry, I refuse to call it Telstra or ANZ or whatever it is this week!), yeah, pretty unusual!

Yep thats the one. Agree with you on the name thing. I was actually overseas when the in took on the Telstra name and for the better part of a year had no idea what they were talking about!

Cheers

M

Stefan Drury
27th April 2008, 07:02 PM
Not many people spotting down by the beach at YSSY - I only count 2 cars...

Nigel C
27th April 2008, 07:29 PM
Week day most likely.

Andrew McLaughlin
27th April 2008, 08:28 PM
Week day most likely.

Middle of the day too judging by the shadows...not the best lighting conditions!

Nigel C
27th April 2008, 09:30 PM
Unless you're high in the sky like a satellite....;)

Raymond Rowe
27th April 2008, 09:33 PM
Not many people spotting down by the beach at YSSY - I only count 2 cars...

One of the days i was in Sydney for work they had the google earth satelite set up in the spotting area. One of those cars could have been me.

David N
3rd May 2008, 04:43 PM
I downloaded the latest version {4.3} and I noticed a date down the bottom of the screen when you zoom in, which I have not seen before.

The image has not changed from what this topic was started on and shows Jan 20th 2007.

Sadly my place down here in Melbourne is still not built, but the date is getting closer. :D

But this version also has a flight simulator as well. :cool:

Regards
David