PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Compilation on YouTube

Dan Collins
8th January 2010, 04:46 PM
Hi All,

Thought I'd share my first YouTube video upload, titled 'Serenade of the Skies'.

This video features aviation footage I've filmed between 2007-2009 and I've compiled with this beautiful piece of music called 'Serenata Immortale'. It's taken a while to put this together and get it to where I'm happy to share it so I hope you enjoy.

Best viewed in YouTube's large or fullscreen format. I'm having trouble viewing in HD but it looks good in SD from what I've seen. (Video was uploaded in full RAW MPG goodness so the HD should work - let me know if you succeed!)

Here's the YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu2r8qRaeFA

Features too many shots to mention, but you'll notice they're mostly from Sydney and includes our regular Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin Blue traffic as well as those various visitors from overseas. Some other notables include the Pope's Alitalia arrival at Richmond and some onboard shots from Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Shanghai to name a few.

Comments and constructive critique are welcomed :)

Dan

Todd Steele
8th January 2010, 04:54 PM
Very nice work Dan amazing!:cool::cool:

Sarah C
8th January 2010, 07:03 PM
:) Amazing video Dan - I love the music, it really works well with the images. If anyone doesn't understand why we love aircraft, just watch the video and see how good it is.

Andrew McLaughlin
8th January 2010, 07:25 PM
Well edited, but you really need to get yourself a ladder!

NeilP
8th January 2010, 07:41 PM
Fantastic. Even had the Missus watching...
Gotta get me a video camera!

Chris B.
8th January 2010, 10:05 PM
What about the turboprops? There's more than just jets at Sydney. ;)

Dan Collins
9th January 2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks all for watching and the comments so far :)

:) Amazing video Dan - I love the music, it really works well with the images. If anyone doesn't understand why we love aircraft, just watch the video and see how good it is.

Cheers Sarah. I'm glad the video has had that sort of effect. Aircraft are truly amazing to watch and there are some awesome locations we are lucky to have at Sydney where we can see this in full effect!

Well edited, but you really need to get yourself a ladder!

Agreed Andrew. I have to admit that my early video footage is poor due to the 'fence issue' and I hope I improved that as time went by. Nowadays I don't even film near the fence as videos are often filled with conversation etc from the other spotters there. I do like the shots I'm able to get from the carpark and Qantas Dr though :)

Fantastic. Even had the Missus watching...
Gotta get me a video camera!

Haha excellent. I'm using a Sony HD video camera which can film in both SD (720) and HD (1080) which is easy to use and handle for long durations. I do need to get myself a decent tripod though to improve my shooting even further!

What about the turboprops? There's more than just jets at Sydney. ;)

Chris, it wasn't until I read your post that I realised there's not a single prop in the video and this was entirely unintentional! I wanted to be unbias in the coverage of Sydney yet I missed out on these little gems so I'll have to make up for that next time! Nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed what you saw :)

Cheers everyone!

Dan

Danny G
9th January 2010, 07:50 PM
A Video & surround sound of United 840 from Qantas Drive taking off with full power overhead is my to do project. Maybe the new Ikea store near the Salvos will have roof top parking so you could get a view of the full length of 34.The You Tube video of the F18 at Temora is great,as it was it live. My favourite video is of the Raptor doing back flips.Thanks for your video from our viewing spots , top effort.

D Chan
9th January 2010, 08:00 PM
is the area in the 1:00 minute mark of the video still accessible? I assume it is the grassy hill area next to the spot where they keep the shipping containers?

Dan Collins
9th January 2010, 11:15 PM
The footage of the Virgin Blue E-Jet and the Jetstar A320 was taken from the 'Radar field' I think it's what it's called. I was told by security whilst filming those shots that it's no longer a spotting area. They were nice about it, so I left.

I think some people still go there, but it would be at your own risk I suppose. I would be weary about going back there because of where you park your cars etc and walking through the mosquito infested grass areas etc.

Dan

Darren Butterworth
9th January 2010, 11:17 PM
Dan - I loved it and Niel, I got my missus to divert her attention from 'The Girls of the Playboy Mansion' or some Gordon Ramsay show to watch for a few minutes and she enjoyed it as well.

My Highlights were the shot from the fence at the beach of VH-OEJ, the United crew waving (my son loved it), The Pope's Alitalia at Richmond and the Air Tahiti Nui A340 which we don't seem to get anymore (just an observation board ****s, maybe there was already a thread about Tahiti Nui).

Daz

Jayden Laing
10th January 2010, 11:38 AM
Dan,
That video was really amazing, congrats. Can't wait for a turboprop one and to see if it can out-do the one you just produced. I have to admit with everyone that has posted comments, planes are truly amazing machines to photograph thus making it my number 1 hobby!! :D:D

Jayden

Dan Collins
11th January 2010, 07:44 PM
is the area in the 1:00 minute mark of the video still accessible? I assume it is the grassy hill area next to the spot where they keep the shipping containers?

Sorry D, I forgot what scene came up at 1:00. You are correct, this shot was taken on the entry road to the container 'terminal' storage area which gives awesome views for 16R landings, but also 34L departures (if you have a tripod or steady arms). I just shoot from the entrance driveway in this area to get these shots - not the grass beyond the fence.

My Highlights were the shot from the fence at the beach of VH-OEJ, the United crew waving (my son loved it), The Pope's Alitalia at Richmond and the Air Tahiti Nui A340 which we don't seem to get anymore (just an observation board ****s, maybe there was already a thread about Tahiti Nui).

Daz

Cheers Daz. I love catching the crew waving or signalling to us. Doesn't happen all the time but it's a great moment to get - particularly on film. I think the video captures the variety and the awesome colours our airport gets to see - even though Air Tahiti Nui no longer fly here :(

Dan,
That video was really amazing, congrats. Can't wait for a turboprop one and to see if it can out-do the one you just produced. I have to admit with everyone that has posted comments, planes are truly amazing machines to photograph thus making it my number 1 hobby!! :D:D

Jayden

Thanks Jayden. I'll do my best to get working on something with propellers! But I'll want to make it as good as this one so don't hold your breath :)

In the meantime, anyone who might be interested in other videos I've shot, check out the 'Videos' link in my signature - these ones just don't feature music.

Dan