PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Eyes New Planes, May Buy Embraers

Gerald A
29th January 2010, 06:34 PM
January 28, 2010
Australian budget carrier Virgin Blue said on Thursday it may replace some of its existing planes with new aircraft and was in talks with several suppliers including Brazil's Embraer.

"We are in the market for planes," Virgin Blue's chief executive Brett Godfrey told reporters on the sidelines of a conference in Singapore.

"We've got a whole bunch of airplanes coming out of lease over the next 2-3 years and we are looking to take some more, including from Embraer," he said.

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1264669283.html

NickN
29th January 2010, 10:23 PM
There was talk of them picking up the 737-900ER as part of the order. Let's hope from a spotting perspective that happens.

Rhys Xanthis
30th January 2010, 02:51 AM
E190's have been pretty successful. The only downside to them is they have no IFE, which on a PER-ADL vv sector can be a little annoying, but quite bearable none the less.

If they indicate firm interest to Embraer for something about 130 seats it could make the E195X a reality, but from what I read in the past few days, the soonest VB could get these would be mid-late decade, probably past what they're looking for, and that said, they would be looking for replacements for the B737 aircraft anyway.

If they're after large narrowbodies, then the B737-900 is likely. Have probably got a decent relationship with Boeing now too and I can't see them jumping to Airbus.

Mike W
30th January 2010, 07:08 AM
If they're after large narrowbodies, then the B737-900 is likely. Have probably got a decent relationship with Boeing now too and I can't see them jumping to Airbus.

This article from Flightglobal backs up your statement

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/01/28/337716/virgin-blue-still-working-on-boeing-aircraft-deal.html

Australia's Virgin Blue is still in talks with Boeing over a possible Boeing 737 aircraft purchase, and expects to finalise the deal this year.

The airline had previously expressed its interest to purchase 737s. Talks with the airframer are still ongoing, says Virgin Blue's CEO Brett Godfrey.

When asked, he says it would be "fair" to say that a deal might be decided this year.

"We have about 30 aircraft coming off their leases over the next three years, so if we don't buy new ones, we'd have to renegotiate the leases," he adds.

The airline has requested for deliveries to be between 2011 and 2014, says Godfrey.

The group's long-haul operation, V Australia, is due to receive its next Boeing 777 in November, but it is unlikely to start a new international route, he says.

"We are looking more at filling in the gaps," says Godfrey, who adds that flight frequencies to Johannesburg or Melbourne among others might be increased.

There seems to be an increase in momentum from Boeing about either re-engining the vererable 737 or even replacing it (as well as the 777). While I can't see DJ getting in on anything new in this next traunche, maybe the one after that if progress is made.

Marty H
30th January 2010, 07:47 AM
I thought V Australia had B77W number five coming prior to MEL-JNB starting:confused: Or is that why the current schedual has been changed to accomodate MEL-JNB???

Adam G
30th January 2010, 01:29 PM
There is no new aircraft in March - that's why there are the schedule changes you can see.

Marty H
30th January 2010, 01:32 PM
Cheers Adam

Zac M
30th January 2010, 03:20 PM
What have Virgin Blue got on order? All I can find is another 2 738s, is that it or is there more?

Marty H
30th January 2010, 03:26 PM
Through to VUY B738's Im pretty sure. so VUU VUV VUW VUX VUY.

Zac M
30th January 2010, 03:27 PM
Ok, thanks.