PDA

View Full Version : Shep's Hill fencing

Andrew McLaughlin
5th February 2010, 08:11 AM
I noticed the Botany Council's Sydney Airport Operations guys were putting fencing up around Shep's Hill yesterday evening.

You can still drive up onto the hill from below at the end of the road and from in front of the tower entrance, but the fencing is designed to stop people (test driving Toyota Prados perhaps?) from entering the area across the soft and sandy bits.

Those of you attending the spotters weekend, watch the really soft area in the middle behind the smaller mound!

Kurt A
5th February 2010, 08:22 AM
My suggestion, would be to keep your car well away from the sandy mound altogether. Might save you some embarrassment!

Adam P.
5th February 2010, 08:40 AM
There is, of course, one easy way around that...

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/IMG_0599_small.jpg

:eek:

Nigel C
5th February 2010, 08:50 AM
With the current forecast? You can have it!
:D

NickN
5th February 2010, 08:55 AM
I saw what I will call an "over-ambitious" dad in a Holden ute try and show off to his son and drive through that soft sandy patch and try to be a daddy hero.

Lets just say if this guy was Superman he'd have his undies around his ankles. The act of heroism ended up with the ute being bogged down to the underside of the car and a rather displeased NRMA guy having to tow him out.

Kurt A
5th February 2010, 10:43 AM
Fencing:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/Image0079.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/mound_fencing01.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/mound_fencing02.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/mound_fencing03.jpg

NeilP
5th February 2010, 11:25 AM
Looks ominous...

Kurt A
5th February 2010, 11:27 AM
As you can see, it's extremely soft down at Shep's Hill... Don't get yourself bogged. Here is Man vs Wild earlier today :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/Image0080.jpg

NickN
5th February 2010, 12:03 PM
Hope someone comes to dig ya out!

Adrian B
5th February 2010, 12:37 PM
Nah, recovery strap round the old john thomas will get him out of there, maybe even before you start the 4wd attached to the other end.....

Stephen Brown
5th February 2010, 01:08 PM
It was all the extra biscuits he had stuck in his pockets that weighed him down....

Plus those stilletos he wears would dig right in...

Adam P.
5th February 2010, 02:29 PM
You shoulda seen the pink hat!!!

Raymond Rowe
5th February 2010, 07:56 PM
Is that the infamous trolley dolly from Adelaide in the earlier photo?

Craig Murray
5th February 2010, 08:23 PM
Look Mum, no hands!!!!

Nice shot, have a good weekend guys.

Philip Argy
6th February 2010, 12:38 AM
What exactly is the point of the fencing on the western side of 'our' site? Are they headed for something more permanent, and HIGHER?

Brian Wilkes
6th February 2010, 02:44 PM
I was told last November by a SACL bloke who was taking down notes and shots of the rubbish left around the mound that he was to say and I quote "Enjoy this area while you can"!

D Chan
6th February 2010, 03:27 PM
As you can see, it's extremely soft down at Shep's Hill...

at least it's not quick sand ;):D

Peter Agatsiotis
6th February 2010, 04:28 PM
Whatever location has been made available to us over the years has always been a hangout for 'messy visitors'. Even the 'temporary' area at the corner of the runway intersection was 'vandalised' at times. It's a shame as we suffer for other people's bad habits. Broken glass, condoms, vomit, the odd syringe, 'takeaway' rubbish etc.

Botany Council could have made things easier with bins (which they used to provide).

Yes, I too have seen the 'groups' with safety vests, hard hats and notepads, maps etc.

I think we all knew some time ago that the time would come when one of the world's best spotting locations would soon be a carpark or a group of buildings of some sort.

As Winston Churchill once said "We will fight them on the beaches...". Hope there's plenty of parking at the beach; haven't been there for years.

Nigel C
8th February 2010, 03:59 PM
What exactly is the point of the fencing on the western side of 'our' site? Are they headed for something more permanent, and HIGHER?

The point was to hopefully curb the amount of erosion and prevent cars from eroding the whole mound. SACL were certainly aware of the spotting weekend coming up and the history of bogged cars in the soft areas, as well as the shoulders of the road wearing away hence the fence along the top road near the Control Tower.

With any luck, more new fencing will be installed to help encourage grass growth to stabilise the area.

I should add, if more fencing is put up to isolate certain areas, then it will ultimately be up to you spotters (not as individuals, but collectively) to help preserve the fence and encourage some grass regrowth. It is you who will benefit from having a grassy, stable mound from which to view from. If that means short term inconvenience to your favourite position, then tolerate it without fuss.

And lastly, not being directed at any one person, stop being so damn negative when you see activities occurring around your favourite haunts. Sometimes there are actually people out there who are trying to help you, but some of you get all too caught up in you own selfish wants and can't see the positives. Be thankful for what you've already got and treat it with respect...it might just hang around for a little while longer!

David Ramsay
8th February 2010, 04:29 PM
It hasn't affected access and doesn't cause any problems. I guess it is having the desired effect but I sure wouldn't have driven over the bits where they have put it .. even in a 4WD.

NeilP
8th February 2010, 08:12 PM
I'm not too sure where anybody is really being that negative...
I would imagine that most, if not all, spotters who use the Mound would already treat it with respect. I have never seen any spotters leave rubbish, for reason obvious to an aviation enthusiast.
Perhaps a small sign on the fence indicating it's purpose would have alleviated any cautiousness, and given those concerned a little more confidence.
Either way, I am sure all spotters will show their appreciation in any way they can.
Long live The Mound!
Cheers,
Neil.

Nigel C
8th February 2010, 09:00 PM
Looks ominous...

Somewhat negative, wouldn't you agree?

However I wasn't necessarily referring to just this thread. If you go back through the pages of past threads that mention spotting locations and changes occuring nearby, you'll usually be met with the usual negativity brigade.

The problem, I would think, with putting a sign up on the fence indicating it's a 'dedicated spotting area' (I presume that's what you meant?) is that there would then be a degree of responsibility and duty of care taken for the condition of the area by the landowner. This would then lead to numerous initial and ongoing maintenance costs which no doubt the landowner might reasonably try to recover.

I do agree though that the Mound is an accessible area which can hopefully remain open to the public. If it's looked after, well you just never know!

NeilP
9th February 2010, 07:35 AM
I can't necessarily speak for every other poster on in this forum, but I know for a fact that my "looks ominous" comment was simply a tongue in cheek comment regarding the fact that given the Mound is really nothing more than wasteland albeit owned by a corporate heavyweight, and that this is the second lot of fencing to go up in the last 6 months or so, plus having neither heard nor seen anything to allay such "fears", we should be prepared for it not to be there in the future.

Personally, if I owned or bought that block of land, I would develop it into a multi-level aircraft spotting area with cafe and toilets... and quite possibly charge a small entry fee. Or is that negative?

Nigel C
9th February 2010, 07:50 AM
Then how about ask Macquarie about leasing it and make it happen?

Well, now that you know the fencing was put up to help stop erosion from the cars, your "fears" can now be allayed!

NeilP
9th February 2010, 08:22 AM
Because it's an unrealistic "pipe dream"...

Now that I know, I feel much better, thank you.

And No, I don't need a sign to tell me it's a "dedicated spotting area". But a sign, perhaps "fence erected to control soil erosion", akin to "Don't feed the birds" would have sufficed...

Philip Argy
9th February 2010, 08:24 AM
How about we offer to buy Shep's Hill from Big Mac and turn it into 'our' clubhouse including a tower with castellated photography stations and entry to members only?

Lee G
9th February 2010, 08:25 AM
Nigel,

In fairness to the negative comments, over the past few years there has been a decreasing number of decent vantage points due to building works and the like and you have to admit - the mound would be one of those places high on the list for redevelopment. People get worried when they see fence and taped off areas because of the possibility that in 6-12 months time there could be a dirty big building standing on the patch of dirt which represents the only legally accessable westerly facing viewing area.

Having said that, I personally appreciate you letting us all know whats going on and laying to rest the rumour mill.

Now .... if only you could do something about those lightposts on the fenceline
;)

Greg McDonald
9th February 2010, 09:03 AM
How about we offer to buy Shep's Hill from Big Mac and turn it into 'our' clubhouse including a tower with castellated photography stations and entry to members only?

Great idea Philip....you buy it and I'll join your club:D:D:D

Peter Agatsiotis
12th February 2010, 07:07 AM
On a more positive note, this was what it was like just over 4 years ago - the big event, A380 F-WWOW arriving.

How many of you can see where you were?

Matt_L
12th February 2010, 07:35 AM
Peter,

good memories!

Actually on that day- i was over at the radar field with what id say was at least 100+ others. Back then when it was still allowed:) the radar field used to have huge piles of sand (which weren't covered in knee deep grass like it is now) which made for a perfect place to spot or put down the chair!

shame we seem to lose these things over time ie radar field, shep's hill becoming more restrictive and tarmac tours..:(

Mike S
12th February 2010, 07:39 AM
I keep meaning to register some interest with the Tour Bus company for a possible solution to this problem.

$10/hr and come sit on the top level of one of those double deckers, over the fence line and also at a better angle. Also a nice stable surface to put those tripods.

Discount rates for YSSY message board members of course!

Ryan Hothersall
12th February 2010, 09:47 AM
Good idea using the double decker buses.

Clear photos over the fence, and for us who have difficulty standing for long periods, a seat to sit on.

Philip Argy
13th February 2010, 09:37 AM
Last Sunday we saw one or two people wander across the road and use the top deck of the double decker for spotting

Gareth Forwood
13th February 2010, 09:51 AM
By the reactions of the bus depot staff, I don't think they had permission...

Philip Argy
13th February 2010, 12:40 PM
I'm sure they didn't but the unobstructed view was a big attraction as the trees lining the north of Shep's Hill become increasingly bushy.

Luckily we had the use of Damien's observation Deck atop his Commodore so had a clear view without needing to leave the Hill.

Brenden S
21st February 2010, 01:56 PM
Ok, now all of you go to woolies and get yourself a box of grass seeds, (only $9) and then spread it around to speed up the process. Not hard, cheap and also means that you should get the spot back quicker.

Ryan Hothersall
21st February 2010, 04:07 PM
If the guy stuck in the mud is who I think he is, tell him he got a job with qantaslink and watch him get outta there quicksmart and watch him run at mach 1 speed back to Adelaide. :D

Nigel C
21st February 2010, 06:43 PM
Ok, now all of you go to woolies and get yourself a box of grass seeds, (only $9) and then spread it around to speed up the process. Not hard, cheap and also means that you should get the spot back quicker.

DO NOT bring grass seeds! It will attract the birds!!!!:mad:

Birds and aviation don't mix!!!

Grant Smith
22nd February 2010, 01:13 AM
It will, however, give you something to do during the day Nige :p

Nigel C
22nd February 2010, 08:00 AM
What? Shoot the silly bugger spreading the seed?:eek:

Brenden, I admire the intention, but I thought you as an engineer, who has no doubt removed bird guts from aircraft (engines are especially gooey;)), would be the last one to encourage birds near aircraft operations!
Perhaps if some loose strands of kikuyu (a fast growing, non seeding grass) were buried in the dirt the area might stabilise quicker.

Bernie P
22nd February 2010, 08:07 AM
Perhaps if some loose strands of kikuyu (a fast growing, non seeding grass) were buried in the dirt the area might stabilise quicker.

HATE to tell you Nigel, but Kikuyu (Pennisetum clandestinum) has one of the largest fertile seeds out there! It also has the ability of building quite a large seedbank within the soil profile!

For my Turf Masters degree, my Thesis was ("Environmental fate of herbicide in the environment) where I looked primarily into removal of a weed in turf, where the weed was in fact Ki in Couch! I can flick you a copy if you like! I was to present it to the 11th International Turf Research Conference last year in Santiago, but after my wife died in April, I didn't have the heart to do it. But I am going to the 2nd European turf Society conference in Angers in April with a poster of it, so hopefully lots of questions will be asked to make the standing infront of it worthwile!!

I am also doing a research paper on desal water for irrigation, and including arid application, perhaps I could do some trials on Sheps??? After all, it is pretty sandy!!

Philip Argy
22nd February 2010, 08:15 AM
I think Nigel's just suggesting that people do a runner!

Nigel C
22nd February 2010, 09:12 AM
HATE to tell you Nigel, but Kikuyu (Pennisetum clandestinum) has one of the largest fertile seeds out there! It also has the ability of building quite a large seedbank within the soil profile!

Well there you go. Happy to be corrected by someone in the know.:)
Our first house had kikuyu and I often let it get too long, but I never saw it seed. Our buffalo which we currently have seeds quite often, probably due to stress because I don't give it enough attention!

Can you give us an update on how endophytic grasses are going? I understand they were doing trials in NZ for the purpose of use around airports and other applications where bugs and birds weren't welcome.

Bernie P
22nd February 2010, 09:35 AM
No worries Nigel!!!

As to seed with ky, when it is freshly cut, say in the morning, by the afternoon, have you ever noticed a very small, white 'hairs' sticking up? That is the seed stalk, and this comes from a small sheath on the Rhizome. If you allow it to get to long, it barley sticks out beyond the leaf, but when it is cut frequently (and I am a little OCD and cut my lawns every second day) it is fairly evident! Buff, Couch Qld Blue Couch (which isn't really a Couch!) all have prominant seed heads where as Ky do not!

As to the Endophytes Grasses, I will check the Journals at home from the previous 11 Quadrennial conferences for you, or I can bring them to the dinner at the DoG (makes for some pleasant bedtime reading for you?? ;) ) if you want? Or:
Selected endophytes of the genus Neotyphodium (formerly Acremonium) form stable synthetic combinations with ryegrass hosts (preferably Lolium perenne). The combinations have improved resistance to invertebrate pests and drought effects as compared to ryegrass cultivars not containing such endophytes. The particular combinations of the invention have reduced toxicity to livestock as compared to naturally occurring endophyte/ryegrass combinations. The six preferred endophytes are AR1, AR12, AR22, AR50, AR52 and AR56.
There is some research still going on, and I will do some further investigations if you like!

Talk soon, at dinner maybe, as we have to finish a report to go to the Federal Govt (Env) about another project we are about to do here that may be of interest in the upcoming months...

Brenden S
1st March 2010, 09:45 PM
Bernie, Nice info on the types of grasses.
Nigel, depending on the engine it can be ummm get the fire hose out and wash it out, or a engine change. Its normally a Engine change..... Also when that does happen its normally due to the birds that fly up Northern WA that cause the inflicting damage.

Nigel C
15th May 2010, 07:06 AM
*BUMP*

Just an update:
I have heard a few unhappy murmurs about the state of the fencing that was put up to protect and preserve the condition of Shep's Mound. Apparently the fencing along the roadway (southern side of the Mound) appears to have been cut in multiple locations, allowing cars to continue eroding the shoulder of the road. It would appear that some people weren't happy with the access path that was left open when the fence was installed, so they've created their own. I highly doubt this has been done by people who perhaps visit the spot once every 6 months...

So, as a result, there has been some loose discussion about fencing the entire area off until it can be rehabilitated by vegetation. If the area is fenced off it may remain off-limits...for good...just like the Charlie and 07/25 intersection viewing area mentioned here http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost.php?p=45972&postcount=16 , which I'm sure would be an unpopular decision for the spotters.

My suggestion? Look after the area, and if you see anyone messing with the temporary fence, right their wrong and explain the possible outcome of their selfishness and stupidity. The unhappy murmurs may turn into quite decisive action unless things change for the better. As the collective spotting community, it's up to you.

Lee G
15th May 2010, 01:20 PM
Next to go will be the fenceline on the beach - then the carpark at the beach - then the observation deck at the ITB - then the windows on all the terminals will have shops in front of them (happened already at the ITB!) - then a big concrete wall to a height of 20 meters with radar absorbing material facing the inside will be put up - then the guard towers with sharp shooters will appear - then the area up to 15 meters from the wall will be mined ...... :eek:

....and in a generation, our children will say to us - "what's that big thing in the sky?" and with onset of Alzhemers, we would have all forgotten.....

....all because one person cut a plastic fence!

So lets make sure the fence stays intact and the rubbish disappears (or those who cut the fence or rubbish the area do!) :mad:

However -

There is also a certain amount of historical proof that once these spotting areas are reclaimed from the general public that they are put to very good use by the owner ..... ;)

NeilP
15th May 2010, 06:15 PM
I doubt these "vandals" are going to cut the fence in front of a bunch of spotters or other users. My guess is it's happening at night by the more "casual" users of the area...

So, Nigel, as a regular user of the mound, who do I report torn fences to when I first see the damage on a Saturday or Sunday morning?

Philip Argy
15th May 2010, 06:29 PM
Why bother trying to grass the area? We don't want it to become a popular picnic spot - keep it uninviting, barren, and free for us to use! :eek:

Raymond Rowe
15th May 2010, 06:47 PM
I stay well away from the area, it's not a great location for photography anymore.

The spot was ruined when they put up those little lights around the perimiter.They coild have placed some spot lights not those poll lights.

Nigel C
15th May 2010, 08:47 PM
I doubt these "vandals" are going to cut the fence in front of a bunch of spotters or other users. My guess is it's happening at night by the more "casual" users of the area...

So, Nigel, as a regular user of the mound, who do I report torn fences to when I first see the damage on a Saturday or Sunday morning?

Perhaps it is being done at night, although with the few cars that frequent the area after dark and through the wee hours, I can't see the point of only damaging the southern fences as access to the Mound is easily accessible via the existing entry and 'exit' point that goes down the front of the Mound...:confused: Also, there has been no noticable damage to the fence at the front of the Mound...at least that part is being left alone. If the damage was being done only at night and for no apparent reason, I'd imagine they'd destroy that front fence too.:rolleyes:

However, even if the cutting's not being done in front of other users, the number of cars now using the 'gaps' in the fence to access the various parts of the Mound should be of concern to you, as it's the continual use and erosion of these road shoulders that will possibly eventually lead to the area being closed off. So again, if you and the spotting community want to keep long term access to these sorts of areas, then you as a collective need to communicate to and educate those who are putting your hobby's access at possible risk.

There's probably not a lot of point in 'reporting' it to authorities as such. The people who installed, and then will eventually be sent out to repair and maintain it know when it gets damaged. The damage sticks out like the proverbial dogs nuts (apparently b a l l s is a banned word???).

Look, quite frankly I personally couldn't care less what happens outside the fence line in terms of spotting and public access areas because I don't plane spot. I see enough aircraft in a working week with my own two eyes from angles and locations most of you guys could only dream of and will never see for yourselves. Maybe one day I should get permission from work to take and make a slideshow of shots from what I see just in the rear view mirror...

But, believe it or not (and maybe contrary to popular opinion;)), I am actually a decent guy who's trying to help you guys help yourselves to preserve something you enjoy. Whether you as a collective sit back and watch others, including fellow spotters, destroy what access you have for their selfish wants is up to you.

NeilP
15th May 2010, 09:04 PM
I have no doubt whatsoever you are a decent guy...

I have no issue confronting some one damaging the fence. Problem is, I have never seen anyone drive through it...

P.S. No need to rub it in about what you get to see!:cool:

Raymond Rowe
15th May 2010, 10:16 PM
Another thing that gets me pretty fed up is photography by certain people in places that are considered "off limits" (or were at last knowledge). It is still happening, and continues to happen in the morning when RWY 34L and RWY34R are in operation.

Check a.net Sydney Airport photos and you'll see what I mean. :rolleyes: I won't mention any particular names.

Makes it worse for everyone else. We are lucky that photographers are tolerated. The security people (and the AFP, along with the NSW Police) could very well just take a harder line and stop us from loitering about if they wanted to.

You refering to people going into the radar field.If you are why not say so.Many years ago i have taken shots in there and it leaves the mound for dead.

NeilP
15th May 2010, 10:34 PM
So... just exactly how does one get into said radar field?

Lee G
15th May 2010, 10:35 PM
Now that's a place where I would like a morning of photography! When I first joined this forum, I enquired as to how to get generic access for a morning - a visit to the dentist for root canal is less painful. I still hold out hope that one day .....

The point is that if SACL think we can't look after a small patch of dirt, we have more chance of snow in December than of arranging a one off visit to the radar field to shoot pictures.

Nigel C
15th May 2010, 11:18 PM
Many years ago i have taken shots in there and it leaves the mound for dead.

And many years ago it was a wide open paddock with nothing in it, so spotting there wasn't an issue.

Lee G
16th May 2010, 12:19 AM
And Tiger Moths flew daily to Camden.... (he he he!) :p

Nigel C
16th May 2010, 08:24 AM
Perhaps B17's too? Going off topic a bit here, but I received an email at work the other day showing Sydney Airport in 1943 from overhead, and it looks like one's parked there then.

Adam P.
16th May 2010, 09:02 AM
Tiger Moths still do fly from Camden!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee27/kookabat/Tiger%20Moth/Tiger-CN.jpg
(I took this one a couple of weeks ago...)

Nigel C
16th May 2010, 09:09 AM
So while you're showboating with the camera, who's flying the plane???:eek:

Adam P.
16th May 2010, 09:13 AM
My other arm :)

PS Get back to work. :p

Raymond Rowe
16th May 2010, 09:16 AM
And many years ago it was a wide open paddock with nothing in it, so spotting there wasn't an issue.

It still is a wide open paddock but it now has nice big hills on it that you get great photos from.

Nigel C
16th May 2010, 10:23 AM
It's also a leased construction compound on private property, so by entering you are trespassing and putting even more unwanted attention on your hobby.

It seems some people just don't get it. Even Blind Freddy could see that while you guys keep out of the spotlight by just enjoying your hobby without destroying/damaging/trespassing on property, you'll be left alone by the authorities to keep on enjoying your hobby. Unfortunately though, it seems the selfish wants of a few will end up ruining it all for many.

NeilP
16th May 2010, 04:00 PM
Who doesn't get it? And do you happen to know who those few who will end up ruining it might be?

I agree it would be a huge shame...

Nigel C
16th May 2010, 05:35 PM
Well, have a look at Ray's last post. The issue of the Radar Field being a no go zone has been discussed here numerous times, yet Ray goes and effectively advertises it as still being a great spot to be. Yep, sure, the hills may give a good view, but I'm sure the top of the TAR (radar) does too...it doesn't mean you're allowed up there:rolleyes:. In the good old days, that field was accessible and spotting wasn't an issue, but for the umpteenth time, things have changed. Don't go in there.

I used to know many of the spotters on the fenceline, and would regularly let the sirens and horn rip when driving past the people I knew as I did my rounds. I'd often stop and have a chat to them, and would slowly get introduced to other spotters. These days I recognise a few, like old Merv (don't tell him I said he was old...) and get the odd text message from others who I'll try to stop for and have a chat. I often stop at the Tower beach viewing area in the afternoons to update my shift log, but the public and spotters aren't as keen to say hello anymore.
As to who's likely to be stupid and selfish enough to push the authorities or land owners to restrict access, I don't know. I don't spend my days looking at the fence line or who's beyond it. I presume you're a regular spotter, so you or anyone else who's a regular would have more of an idea than me these days.

Cheers

NeilP
16th May 2010, 07:34 PM
I hear what you're saying Nigel, and appreciate what you are saying more than you might think. Bottom line is I'm relatively new to spotting and spend more time at the mound than anywhere else. Personally I think it's the best place for spotting in the country, beats Brisbane, Melb, and Adelaide anyway!

But, if I was to take a drive around and find other places, how would I know where it's permissible or not without definite signage? I know there are signs on the perimeter fence but other than that...? I have been questioned before by a security guy while sitting in my car next to the stand-off bays near the old Gate 20, and had enquiring looks from some while parked at the end of Rwy 16L/34R, but that's about it. I've seen guys follow the fenceline on foot from the mound, squeeze past the trees and start photograping from near the GHD tunnel but, knowing the 3 metre rule, I have not been tempted.

Now, I've heard mention of this radar field before on this forum, and have seen photos purportedly taken from it on another, but without knowing where it is or how to get there, how can I know that it is out of bounds? Especially if it is not sign posted? And if it is clearly signposted, I understand and share your frustration with others flouting the rules.

Nigel C
16th May 2010, 08:44 PM
Common sense should prevail. There is a fairly prominant sign at the start of the road that leads to Gate 16 and the Radar Field that clearly states that parking beyond that point is not permitted, and if that doesn't stop you then the construction compounds near the fire station should be a fairly big hint that perhaps you shouldn't be there. If the gates are left open, they usually aren't for the benefit of Joe Public.

I have been questioned before by a security guy while sitting in my car next to the stand-off bays near the old Gate 20 probably just checking a)you're not suspicious, and b)not many people go there in comparison, and had enquiring looks from some while parked at the end of Rwy 16L/34Ragain, comparitively few people go thewre to spot. I note you said "end" of 16L/34R...go any further round towards the fire station and you're likely to be moved on. Remember the sign at the start of the road was probably right in front of where you were that day, but that's about it. I've seen guys follow the fenceline on foot from the mound, squeeze past the trees and start photograping from near the GHD tunnel but, knowing the 3 metre rule, I have not been tempted. They would probably get 'called in' by security for an extra look because it's not a 'usual' spot. It should also raise eyebrows from people driving along GHD if they see people on ladders at the fence line, so I wouldn't be surprised if the AFP/State Police get called

Lee G
17th May 2010, 12:21 AM
What's the going rate to photograph on the airside now Nigel?

It really is the only way to shoot landings on 34 Left, legally.

The way I see it, at the moment it's a finely balanced situation -

The authorities can at any time kill off planespotting and photography at Sydney and use aviation security as justification.

Nigel C
17th May 2010, 12:23 AM
My pockets are deep and will take a lot of filling...;)

Lee G
17th May 2010, 01:09 AM
Funny 'bout that - I heard that your pockets are deep and your arms are short! :D

Kurt A
17th May 2010, 11:28 AM
What's the going rate to photograph on the airside now Nigel?

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/Filming-Photography-and-Advertising.html

Filming and photography – fees

A fee is levied in advance for filming and photography activity undertaken for commercial gain. The full
amount of the fee will be notified by SACL after an application is received and before the activity
commences. No filming or photography will be permitted until the applicable fee is paid, unless prior
arrangements have been made with the Community Affairs Officer. Fees are as follows:

Photography (still) terminal: $400 per hour + gst
Photography (still) airside: $750 + gst first hour, $700 + gst per hour thereafter
Filming terminal: $600 + gst first hour, $550 + gst per hour thereafter
Filming airside: $750 + gst first hour, $700 + gst per hour thereafter

Should specific SACL personnel or services be required to undertake the activity, a further fee may be
levied. Depending on location, timing and duration of the activity, an additional fee may also be imposed
to cover the additional deployment of security or safety personnel. Out-of-hours filming incurs extra fees
calculated on a case by case basis.

Non-commercial filming or photography

Fees are not charged for the following activities:

· Airline companies and airport tenants collecting material for independent internal use within their
organisations eg training films etc. Normal fees apply for airlines and airport tenants filming for
advertising purposes;

· Media use eg to support news breaking stories. Filming for reality television shows will be charged.

Cheers, Nigel. :p

Nigel C
17th May 2010, 01:56 PM
I always thought I provided value for money for film crews...now I realise they're getting my services quite cheaply.

Any takers for the next spotting weekend?:p

Sarmad Al-Khozaie
17th May 2010, 03:38 PM
World has plenty to offer and discover when you are on the truck with a tripod!!!:p

and Nig.... give a discount to the Syd Airport Msg board group and ill be happy to come :D

Nigel C
17th May 2010, 05:01 PM
It's not up to me to give discounts. For the locations I could take you, I should charge more!:p

Lee G
17th May 2010, 05:27 PM
Intrestingly enough -

There is a category for commercial gain photography
There is a category for media/airline in house photography (as is media is not for profit .... hah!)

but

There is no category for non commercial photography by private citizens

..... so I assume you'd be making the rates up as you went along .......

Can you pay in beer currency? One slab or two? :D

Nigel C
17th May 2010, 05:54 PM
Only 2 slabs? That's hardly enough to support my habit!:D
I wish I could charge for 'private tours'. But I somehow don't think I'd be in a job for long!

Raymond Rowe
17th May 2010, 07:40 PM
2 slabs of JD'S is over 210 Dollars

Lee G
17th May 2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, but he's one of the boys - VB's cheaper!

Nigel C
17th May 2010, 08:20 PM
VB won't be seen in my house. JD's overrated.

But I would be tempted to accept 2 slabs of 21 year old Glenfiddich Single Malt.:cool: Then we might be able to do a deal...

Lee G
17th May 2010, 09:15 PM
Oh well - will just have to leave the three Henchske Hill of grace in the cellar ....

Nigel C
17th May 2010, 10:02 PM
Bring them, and we'll talk.;)

Mario Facchini
2nd August 2010, 09:51 PM
Went down to Sheps hill this arvo to a disturbing site.

(nigel, not sure if you can pass this info on to anyone)

I got to the hill to find a tilt tray truck (greystaynes recovery service) near the back fence........the thing was, this bloke had gotten bogged, and did a hell of a number to the little access way at the back.

he had to call another towtruck from the same company to pull him out, only to continue to do more damage.

not trying to dob people in, but i enjoy going there as do all of you on this board, i just don't want to see the site destroyed and closed.

Nigel C
3rd August 2010, 06:34 AM
Yeah, I saw them there late yesterday afternoon and figured they'd gotten bogged.

I had to have a little chuckle though, because it reminded me of a new years eve many years ago when one small courier truck went into the radar field (when it was still accessible) and got bogged in the soft stuff. He called a work mate who brought his truck. Well he drove into the grass on the way to the first truck, but stopped about 20m short....bogged.
So the two of them called in a third truck. You can guess the story from here. That's right, 3 trucks bogged.:rolleyes:
So, a fourth truck was called in, but this last guy had some brains and parked on the asphalt, got out some chain and one by one pulled them all out.

Adrian B
3rd August 2010, 10:40 AM
I can see a Monty Python scene about a castle and a swamp...:p

Philip Argy
3rd August 2010, 07:57 PM
We can all be confident that they were harmless - terrorists are normally smart with a clever plan - these guys sound like they were just plain dumb! :)

David Ramsay
5th August 2010, 01:57 PM
Sorry Philip, can't agree ;)

Look at the guy in Times Square a while back. :rolleyes:

Philip Argy
5th August 2010, 04:01 PM
Getting bogged in Times Square would be a bit more suspicious, wouldn't it? ;)