PDA

View Full Version : Canberra Airport Open Day-Attending Aircraft

Zac M
6th February 2010, 08:58 PM
No list as yet but it looks as if a QF 767 will be there as usual. QF787/562 on the 28/03 will be operated by a 767, QOH will be there as usual and you can probably expect and E190 or one of the newer DJ 737s.

Although it looks like a 767 apparently all efforts are been made to get a domestic A332 down for the day, which will mean there will be an A332 flight into Canberra that day.

Michael Atkin
6th February 2010, 09:28 PM
When is the open day? sounds like it will be quite a good day out.

Zac M
6th February 2010, 09:38 PM
28/03/10

Rod Sloan
7th February 2010, 06:12 AM
I wonder if this date will get changed. Isn't Barack Obama supposed to be visiting Australia in late March ??

Philip Argy
7th February 2010, 07:19 AM
He'll probably be invited to address Parliament, which means Thu 25 or Tues 30 March I'd guess, but probably not on Sunday 28 March, unless Michelle and the girls want to go to the Open Day.

Air Force One would be a good attraction, though!

Steve Jones
7th February 2010, 09:29 AM
To be confirmed, but on making enquiries, the list is tentatively as follows:
QF 763*
QFL Q400*
DJ 73H*
FQ J41*
HARS Super Constellation*
HARS Catalina
HARS Neptune
HARS C-47/DC3
L39 Albatross
RAAF Balloon
5-6 warbirds
Other GA?

* Open for walkthrough

I haven't been able to ascertain whether there will be any RAAF aerial or static display. Last Open Day's FA-18 display was a huge hit, would be good to see that again!

Qantaslink will also likely again run a charity flight with the Q400. It's usually quite cheap and if it's like last time, tickets are on sale first-come, first-serve at the aircraft.

Fingers crossed there isn't any crossover with a US visit!

Zac M
7th February 2010, 10:32 AM
You can put a rego to the Q400. I can almost guarantee it will be QOH.

lloyd fox
7th February 2010, 11:00 AM
I wonder if this date will get changed. Isn't Barack Obama supposed to be visiting Australia in late March ??

No this date is fine and will go ahead.

Zac M
7th February 2010, 11:18 AM
Yeah he won't hang around, I read a story saying that his children were due back at school on the 29th so you would expect that he would be long gone by the 28th.

Joseph Saragozza.
7th February 2010, 02:54 PM
is there a rough start and ending time frame window so i can book my flights?
and it is still on the 28th of march just to double check.
tanks

Zac M
7th February 2010, 03:42 PM
Starts at 0930 so the best flight to get there on the day would be QF814 which arrives at 0930 (0915 really, they are always early from Melbourne) and it finishes at 1330 so you would want QF2139 at 1330, DJ274 at 1500 (the DJ 73H which will be for display should operate that) or QF815 at 1505.

If you've got a bit more money try QF400 to Sydney and QF787 to Canberra, that will be 767 ops that day and I dare say it will be a relatively light load, same with QF562 back to Sydney.

Joseph Saragozza.
7th February 2010, 03:45 PM
great thanks zac.
im looking at getting QF up there on the dash-8 or Q400 and back on DJ with the E-jets.

Tim Bowrey
10th February 2010, 10:28 AM
QOH will be there as usual.

I beleive it will be a new livery Q400 not Pinkie unfortunatly although a Joy Flight will go ahead.

Steve Jones
12th February 2010, 02:08 PM
Official notification from Canberra Airport out today, as posted on Ozspotters. Good to see a big HARS representation!

No discussion of a flying display... So not sure if we'll get a repeat of the amazing FA-18 from last time?

CANBERRA AIRPORT OPEN DAY
The Canberra Airport Open Day is happening again on Sunday 28 March from 9.30am – 1.30pm, and will feature loads of aircraft displays and children’s activities!

AVIATION DISPLAY

Come and climb aboard a Qantas, QantasLink, Virgin Blue or Brindabella Airlines plane, or take a step back in time with a display from the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society.

Aircraft that will be on display include:

- Qantas 767-300

- QantasLink Q400

- Virgin Blue 737-800

- Brindabella Airlines J41 and Metro

- Super Constellation “Connie”

- DC3/C47

- Neptune Bomber

- Catalina flying boat

- L39 Albatross

- Many more small aircraft and warbirds

CARNIVAL

There will be something for everyone including children’s rides, great food and entertainment for the whole family.

Carnival activities include:

- FM104.7 outside broadcast

- Jumping castles & inflatable worm ride

- Face painting and glitter tattoos

- Animal patting paddock

- Roving entertainment

- Australian Federal Police stall

- ACT Aeromodellers Association flight simulators

- Canberra Gliding Club aircraft display and

- Rides in a tethered RAAF hot air balloon

There will be a range of food stalls at the Carnival, including coffee, a sausage sizzle, gelato and dutch pancakes!

Parking is free in and around Brindabella Business Park – just follow the signs to “Airport Open Day”.

NeilP
12th February 2010, 06:11 PM
I hope this isn't a silly question, but...
Are there admission fees or such involved?
Cheers,
Neil

Matt Coughran
15th February 2010, 11:32 AM
I don't know about you guys, But the Dutch Pancakes are the first thing on my list to do!!! I haven't had one of those in years! :p

Just a shame the RAAF don't have any of their aircraft on display, such as the C-130 or C-17.

Ah well can't have everything im just looking forward to going to such a great day!

Cheers
Matt

Steve Jones
15th February 2010, 12:43 PM
Yes entry is free, but there may be donations asked to visit certain aircraft (eg: HARS).

Apparently the RAAF are yet to advise what they might be able to provide, but I suspect a C-130 or C-17 is unlikely. Maybe next year! But here's hoping for a FA-18 handling display again... I did hear there is a possibility of a RAAF PC-9 on static display (not sure if a Roulette c/s or not), I'll have to chase up whether that's a goer or not.

NeilP
15th February 2010, 06:13 PM
Yes entry is free, but there may be donations asked to visit certain aircraft (eg: HARS).

Thanks Steve.

Alex Lui
17th February 2010, 06:54 PM
OK... After calling my friend in Qantas, Can confirm this:

The pink bird (VH-QOH) is not coming in for the open day, primarily because they are supporting the Salvation Army, not the Breast Cancer foundation so not to send the wrong message. So a normal new livery bird will be doing this open day.

No merchandise for sale this time as well, but definitely can confirm a new livery Qantas bird B767 is coming (Obviously...)... Can't confirm reg yet.

Alex.

Maikha Ly
20th February 2010, 10:47 PM
Hi all

I'm definitely putting this one in the diary and eager to come down form Sydney to go to this one! This will be my first ever weekend away for aviation interests, so bear with me and my basic questions!

Firstly, I'm tossing up whether to drive down from Sydney (A drive I've done many times!) or to fly down on Qantas on Saturday morning, spend the day spotting and photographing the local Canberra air traffic (Hoping to get a shot of one of Brindabella's Metros flying) as well as the HARS aircraft coming in, although with the latter, am I assuming correctly that they'll be arriving on the Saturday before the open day?

Secondly, with spotting the local Canberra traffic, does anyone know of any good and easily accessible spots around the airport perimeter for this purpose? I'm a fan of Jeff Gilbert's photographs on Airliners.net and very curious as to where some of those locations are?

At this stage, I'm looking at getting on QF787 from Sydney on Saturday (Beoing 737) and returning to Sydney on Sunday night on QF562 (Boeing 767), as well as hopefully go on a Q400 joyride on the Sunday, to get my flying 'fix'.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I really look forward to both this weekend and next week's Wings over the Illawarra event! :)

Zac M
21st February 2010, 05:24 AM
The best place for afternoon spotting is the Multi Story Carpark in the Brindibella business park if runway 35 is in use.

Another thing to consider is that there aren't that many movements on a Saturday.

Ken B
21st February 2010, 07:04 AM
I thought this might help members that are attending the Canberra Airport Open day. Some frequencies to listen out for on the day.

CANBERRA AIRPORT - Civil

Air Traffic Control
Frequency Entity Mode
124.500 Canberra Approach AM
127.450 Canberra ATIS AM
121.700 Canberra Ground SMC – ACD AM
118.700 Canberra Tower – MBZ AM
119.950 En-Route Info Svc AM
135.050 Flightwatch AM

Emergency Services
Frequency Entity Mode
119.100 AFP AM
131.600 AFP AM
131.000 Fire & Rescue AM
466.875 Fire & Rescue FM

ACD Airways Clearance Delivery
ATIS Automatic Terminal Information Svc
MBZ Mandatory Broadcast Zone
SMC Surface Movement Control

Maikha Ly
15th March 2010, 10:11 PM
Hi all

Not far away from booking my tickets to go down and back for the day.

Am intending on getting down on QF787 from Sydney, and returning back to Sydney on VB, hoping to fly on one of the E-Jets. Before I go book tickets, are all VB flights out of Canberra to Sydney the Embraers or does the odd 737 appear on one of the flights? The one I'm thinking of getting back home is DJ657.

If all goes well, in one day, I would have flown aboard a 767, Q400 and an E179/190. Apart from a little PA-28 I flew in my avatar, I haven't stepped aboard a jet since going to the US in July '06!

Many thanks!

Tim Bowrey
16th March 2010, 11:22 AM
Before I go book tickets, are all VB flights out of Canberra to Sydney the Embraers or does the odd 737 appear on one of the flights?

I flew SYD-CBR the other day DJ630 and got a 737-700(VBH) but generally all other flights are Embraers.

QOS could be the Dash at the airshow.

Joseph Saragozza.
16th March 2010, 01:08 PM
it is said that obama will be in Australia the same time frame as the open day so will his presence have any influence if the show goes ahead or not?

Tim Bowrey
16th March 2010, 01:09 PM
He's here on Friday Joseph and the show isn't till Sunday, so it won't matter too much.

Alex Lui
18th March 2010, 06:39 AM
Does anyone have an update on the regos of the birds that are heading for Open day?

The 767 - either OGS/OGT/OGP... Anyone know which one?
I heard the Dash 8 is QOS but can anyone confirm?

Thanks heaps. Looking forward to travelling on a 767 between Canberra and Sydney... :)

Alex.

Maikha Ly
18th March 2010, 09:01 AM
I thought I'd put it out there, as it seems the bulk of us are going down on QF787, do any of you chaps off this forum wanna meet up at check-in at a certain time, and go down there as a group?
(Pardon if airline check-ins don't work like this, it has been a while for me!).

I'd reckon it'd be great to put a few names to faces and have a few laughs enroute, rather than sit separately on the plane reading flight safety cards :P

Steve Jones
18th March 2010, 10:33 AM
The Canberra Airport website has a map showing the final line-up of aircraft for the day in the order in which they will be displayed:

http://www.canberraairport.com.au/PDF/OpenDayMap.pdf

My understanding is that all the airline aircraft will be open for walk-through, as will the Catalina (gold coin donation I think). Not sure about the others such as DC-3 etc.

Weather permitting, it is expected that the Dragonfly will do at least one aerial display at some point during the day.

Maikha Ly
18th March 2010, 10:12 PM
Hi all

I have three other friends also heading down with me on QF787, so shall be a good day indeed!

Is Qantaslink still doing the Q400 joyflights for charity like previous Open Days? I haven't read anything mentioned on that, and would hate to think I've had the wrong assumption all along!

Zac M
18th March 2010, 10:22 PM
As far as I know they are. It will be to raise money for the salvos. If I get up early enough I might meet the QF787 gang and I will take you over and show you where to get some good shots of the planes been towed into position.

Maikha Ly
18th March 2010, 10:35 PM
Zac, you're a champ! Will see you down there when the time comes :)

Dan Hammond
19th March 2010, 12:11 PM
Hey Guys,

I too will be attending the open day and coming in on QF787 just wondering how any of the other guys will get to the open day area from the terminal? and is it far from the terminal?

Steve Jones
19th March 2010, 12:53 PM
The Open Day is a 10min walk from the terminal. Exit the terminal, walk through the ground floor of the multi-deck carpark (you have no choice with all the construction work on the new terminal) and follow the signs for the Brindabella Business Park. Then just continue south - follow the crowds/cars.

Dan Hammond
19th March 2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks Steve, I now know where im going, Much appreciated.

Cheers

Zac M
19th March 2010, 10:31 PM
If you do it fast enough you can do the walk in about 5 minutes. Lens wise I don't have no idea. I got my first SLR last week and before that I was successfully spotting from that with a compact digital.

Maikha Ly
24th March 2010, 10:34 AM
Righto fellas, all booked and ready to go!

QF787 down to Canberra, and back on DJ657 to Sydney. Hopefully can get down there intime to get a seat on the Q400 joyflight.

For anyone on QF787 who wants to tee up for the ride down prior to check-in, I'll probably have something subtle on my bag, like a rubber chicken or something. That can be the secret message board member identifier :D

See you all on Sunday!

Todd Milton
24th March 2010, 10:59 AM
I will probably be driving Zac to the airport, seeing as though I am meeting Maikha and other friends off 787. So will see everyone upon arrival. Am glad I don't have to work till late afternoon!

Zac M
24th March 2010, 05:40 PM
So you are driving me now...lol

Tim Bowrey
24th March 2010, 05:47 PM
Hey everyone, as far as regos go, here are some 'maybes'

QF 763 - OGQ
QF Q400 - QOS
J41 - TAH
Metro - TAO or SEF

As said above, VH-OGQ is currently schedualled to fly the QF787 SYD-CBR.

Cheers

Steve Jones
24th March 2010, 06:20 PM
It is rumoured that the DJ aircraft will be a -700, not an -800, TBC. Aircraft ferries in empty early Sunday morning and will operate a scheduled CBR-MEL service early evening.

Jayden Laing
24th March 2010, 09:56 PM
Guys,
Lately DJ have been using their 737-700's as well as the E170 on the SYD-CBR route (vice versa) so yes I imagine that it is highly likely that it could be a 700 operating DJ567

Tim Bowrey
25th March 2010, 05:45 PM
Possibly there could be an F/A-18 display performed by A21-110 in CBR as there was a practice display for about 10mins today at Williamtown and most likely will be tomorrow too. There was last Open Day so with any luck, there could be this year too!

Joseph Saragozza.
25th March 2010, 06:00 PM
i wouldn't be surprised it DJ brought VBY for the display
really looking forward to this weekend! :D

Tim Bowrey
25th March 2010, 08:17 PM
Anyone have experience with taking a monopod onto a QF flight? Or must it be checked in?

I have taken my mates through security before but I think it'd probably be an item to check-in. You dont really need one on the plane anyway do you?

QantasLink flight currently is to fly to Jervis Bay, I have booked my seat.:D

VH-QOS is still the rego i believe.

Maikha Ly
25th March 2010, 09:57 PM
QantasLink flight currently is to fly to Jervis Bay, I have booked my seat.:DWhere can one book for this flight? This is one of the main reasons I wanna head down on Sunday and I'm determined, tooth and nail, to get aboard that flight! :)

Zac M
25th March 2010, 10:49 PM
Me too, I love Q400s. If it is possible to book in advance that would be nice.

Alex Lui
26th March 2010, 06:28 AM
Can confirm from QantasLink that QOS is operating the first flight from Sydney to Canberra on Sunday for the open day and Jervis Bay flight. QOH is in need of some TLC so will not be making the trek anyway (wasn't scheduled to).

You can book seats for the charity flight from about 9.30am on Sunday. Last time they did it they had 70 seats so I guess first in, best dressed. Flight leaves at 2.30pm.

Alex.

Steve Jones
26th March 2010, 07:05 AM
I suggest anyone wanting to do the charity flight get in quick smart, as last time the tickets sold out in no time at all. Plus I *think* they take cash only.

Tim Bowrey
26th March 2010, 08:46 AM
Where can one book for this flight? !

As said before there will be a little tent of some sort near the Dash-8 and it will be around $50 to go to charity. I got the 1st 2 tickets for my girlfriend and I because I know the organiser :D

1st in best dressed as always!

Maikha Ly
26th March 2010, 05:47 PM
No worries on that!

Any idea how long the flight goes for and what time we'd get back to CBR? We're on the 1600 DJ flight out of there to go back home.

Thanks!

Alex Lui
26th March 2010, 09:25 PM
Check in for the charity flight starts at 2pm and leaves at 2.30pm.

QF562 is the 767 flight back to Sydney and QF1484 at 5.30 is the QOS flight back to Sydney.

From the last charity flight, which was about 2-3 years ago now, it came back at about 3.45pm on the ground and disembarking. I guess be careful because the window is 3.30pm - 3.45pm when we land in Canberra again, have your 1600 check in done well and entruly beforehand.

Alex

Maikha Ly
27th March 2010, 09:44 AM
From the last charity flight, which was about 2-3 years ago now, it came back at about 3.45pm on the ground and disembarking. I guess be careful because the window is 3.30pm - 3.45pm when we land in Canberra again, have your 1600 check in done well and entruly beforehand.Dang! Looks like we'll have to give it a miss then, as we need to check in 30mins beforehand :(

Bad luck I guess!

Alex Lui
27th March 2010, 10:39 AM
You can still take part in the charity flight, just check in beforehand (like 24 hours beforehand) online and when the charity flight lands, RUN to the Virgin flight back to Sydney. I very much doubt it will be beyond 3.35 or so. I mean, you can check in online 24 hours before the flight leaves so that should work?

JamesW
27th March 2010, 05:17 PM
VOZ will be taking up VHVBA from MEL on a ferry flight as DJ9051 departing YMML at 0600 LOCAL.

Joseph Saragozza.
27th March 2010, 05:27 PM
Canberra forecast for Sunday:

Fine. Partly cloudy day with light northwest winds.

City Precis: Partly cloudy.
City: Min 13 Max 29
Tuggeranong: Min 13 Max 29

Chance of rainfall: 15%.

sourced from BOM

Maikha Ly
27th March 2010, 08:02 PM
Hi all

Just did our Online Check-In and stuff, and it seems the system has pre-allocated myself and my companion 34K and 34J, exit row!

Couldn't find my rubber chicken, so, for other message board goers on QF787, I'll be in a blue and white shirt, and will look similar to the bloke in my display pic.

See you all tomorrow!

Dan Hammond
27th March 2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Maikha,

I have also checked in on QF787 and will be seated in 32K.

Tim Bowrey
27th March 2010, 09:13 PM
Couldn't find my rubber chicken

No offence Maikha but Im glad im sitting further down the back. :D

andrew evans
28th March 2010, 03:27 PM
Well just returned from Canberra and I enjoyed it.For what was on display and the entrance of the Dragonfly I will go to next one.What is up with the RAAF did they not get an invite to display some air craft.Nothing from the Defence force full stop except a Hot Air Balloon.I am disappointed with that.Pics to follow shortly.

Zac M
28th March 2010, 04:37 PM
An awesome day! I got seat 1A on the charity flight which was cool. All the historic aircraft were awesome, seeing 'Connie' takeoff made the day even better.

Joseph Saragozza.
28th March 2010, 04:40 PM
great day!
differentially going to future ones!;)

NeilP
28th March 2010, 06:22 PM
Great time, but given the queues, disappointed they closed the walk throughs at 1.00pm...

Steve Jones
28th March 2010, 06:56 PM
The RAAF were invited (begged) to attend but aside from the Hot Air Balloon, they were unable to assist!! A real pity - maybe next time!

andrew evans
28th March 2010, 06:56 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4468700489_c45978405f_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4468701235_f0ac83e7c0_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4468701669_1f18138d9b_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2713/4469479158_f0cc3f693c_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4469479544_059e89907d_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4468702561_3cacc73a59_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4468705995_fb62d4d5b4_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4469484132_b67df98f41_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2798/4468715197_ca66ec07b9_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4469493524_fe9733dd65_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4468716627_3abaa9a7fe_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2797/4469495774_8da8f29cf8_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4468717295_1c16712343_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4468717687_53c8f6416b_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2735/4469499830_7c20a9554a_b.jpg

Maikha Ly
28th March 2010, 07:19 PM
Haven't in so many years had such an AWESOME DAY! Been on three different planes, with three different carriers (One of which, according to my ticket, was operated by Sunstate, the charity flight), had a close encounter with missing a flight but flight got delayed and we celebrated with Crown Lagers... all in all, awesome day out!

Also met a number of you off the board here, hope my crude blunt humour didn't make you stop and think! :p

Unfortunately I need to go to bed soon to make a 4:30am start for work, so will be posting my detailed trip report later, with plenty of shots.

Top work by all! :D

Brandon Giacomin
28th March 2010, 07:23 PM
Great shots Andrew. Looks like it was a fantastic day.

Alex Lui
28th March 2010, 08:15 PM
Haven't in so many years had such an AWESOME DAY! Been on three different planes, with three different carriers (One of which, according to my ticket, was operated by Sunstate, the charity flight), had a close encounter with missing a flight but flight got delayed and we celebrated with Crown Lagers... all in all, awesome day out!

Also met a number of you off the board here, hope my crude blunt humour didn't make you stop and think! :p

Unfortunately I need to go to bed soon to make a 4:30am start for work, so will be posting my detailed trip report later, with plenty of shots.

Top work by all! :D

Glad to hear that you got back to Sydney safely. Though from looking at things, did Virgin combine your flight with the 5pm flight and give you VBK for the aircraft? Any chance you going to post a trip report?? :D

It was a good day and enjoyed by all. Charity flight was definitely a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The flight on OGQ was definitely different to Canberra as take off was so fast! All in all, nice but yes next time maybe a A330 to promote the new products?? :P

Alex.

Danny Rizk
28th March 2010, 08:37 PM
Looked like a wonderful day guys, wish I were able to make it but unfortunetly I had to work.... :(

Wenglock M
28th March 2010, 08:52 PM
The flight on OGQ was definitely different to Canberra as take off was so fast! All in all, nice but yes next time maybe a A330 to promote the new products?? :P

Alex.

OGQ felt heavier out of Canberra though, than it did out of Sydney where I reckon it probably rotated after 10 or 15 seconds of rolling takeoff (with awesome acceleration might I add). However, that again is just a subjective feeling. Not sure of the exact pax numbers (I heard 111 for the 562 back to SYD) but the flight back to SYD did seem slightly more crowded as compared to on the way in to CBR.

Yea, I sort of got the feeling that there was a bit of a stark difference between visiting the older 767 cabin and the newer Virgin 737 one with satellite TVs in every seat. Not to mention, the Virgin Blue F/As were actively promoting their onboard service as we were walking through lol, I did not get a chance to visit OGQ during the static display as the queues were too long but I reckoned it was just a hi-bye sort of thing much like the QantasLink Q400 (although I have to add the crew on OGQ were absolutely awesome).

Zac M
28th March 2010, 09:01 PM
They taped all the seats of OGQ off, the crew were awesome during the display, they gave us a cup of water as we got on. I didn't go on QOS while it was on display but I did do the charity flight (which they should have used the 767 for:D)

Dan Hammond
28th March 2010, 09:11 PM
Hey Guys,

Just arrived back in MEL after a fantastic day. It was great to put some faces to the names. I really enjoyed every bit of the day, walking through the aircraft, tarmac tour, charity flight. It was a great day. Those of you that have me on facebook can see my collection of photos from the day there.

Cheers!

Alex Lui
28th March 2010, 09:49 PM
From what I was told on Friday night before QF787 took off, the number of empty seats was 174 so that would mean about 80 pax on this flight. Which would make sense as you saw, very light. Not to mention the take off was FAST and the landing was one that I have not experienced probably since the time I landed in LA on United.

So yes, QF562 was probably heavier on the way back, with 111 on board.

I agree with you about the static aircraft on display. Being a commercial aviation buff, I really only wanted to see the VB jet, QF jets and Brindabella ones. Let me break it down then...

TAH / TAO - wasn't open when I got there
OGQ - It's a pity the seats were taped off since you could try them out last year but I guess if Qantas do it this way thats the way they do it... I flew in on this bird so nah, no need to see it again.
QOS - Was going on it in the afternoon
VBK - Been on countless 73G's so no need to see it again, not to mention the seats aren't that comfortable on their jets anyway! :P

I'm doing a heck of a lot of flying to come so yeah... my aim of the day was to partake in the charity flight and fly on OGQ. Did it and happy :)

Alex.

Dan Hammond
29th March 2010, 11:56 AM
I agree, the crew were great, they remembered a few of us from the morning flight and were interested in what we thought of the open day too.

Todd Milton
29th March 2010, 12:48 PM
I did take some photos - but otherwise got pretty bored, pretty quickly - and also frustrated with the crowds walking in front of my photo attempts.

It is sad to hear that the crowd which turned out to this free, advertised event got in the way of your photos......

Blake Riley
29th March 2010, 01:26 PM
I agree with Chris it was a pain in the *** with people jus walking infront of you while taking photos. It was a good day and good getting the flightdecks and Cabins but frustrating trying to get good pics outside

Todd Milton
29th March 2010, 02:01 PM
If there is a crowd it is simply not going to part ways so you can get that golden shot. Never go to an event and try and take photos in a crowd, then complain. You will never get a great shot at an open day event, especially when there are kids running everywhere and constant foaming at the mouth like patrons who will get in your way. People walk infront of people taking photos no matter where you are, you can't help it and you cannot stop it. Sure you can get a little peeved, but at an event like this where there is a steady stream of people you are best to just deal with it.

Maikha Ly
29th March 2010, 05:28 PM
Hi all

Before you all continue to debate crowd courtesies, I've posted my detailed trip report with plenty of photographs in the Technical Forum if any of you all are interested to read it:

http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=5144

Carry on!

Kieran Wells
29th March 2010, 06:04 PM
I think this had to be one of the best days that i have ever attended. I really enjoyed the Charity Flight, so much fun. Was great meeting a few new people including Maika.

I'll edit this post once i sort photos and post them into facebook.

Maikha Ly
29th March 2010, 06:45 PM
I think this had to be one of the best days that i have ever attended. I really enjoyed the Charity Flight, so much fun. Was great meeting a few new people including Maika.Likewise dude, good to shake hands with a few new people off this place.

Charity Flight was most definitely awesome! I wish every flight was always in such good spirits compared to what you currently get in reality. Was a good feeling walking out to the aircraft and having us all sing "Come Fly With Me".... pack of friggin weirdos we are.. :D

Kieran Wells
30th March 2010, 05:11 AM
Here is the link to my photos from the day:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=200097&id=561467058&l=ad55ac8baf

Steve Jones
30th March 2010, 07:25 AM
See attached an aerial photo of the Open Day

Bernie P
30th March 2010, 12:41 PM
QF 'bookends' I see... Geat Pics guys!!! And Maikha, GREAT TR!!

Maikha Ly
30th March 2010, 03:43 PM
Kieran, awesome stuff!

Steve, awesome photograph! I figured someone would be up there in the sky snapping us

Bernie, thanks for reading it dude.

Todd Milton
30th March 2010, 05:50 PM
Here are some photos from me. Last year I got to board and depart the Charity Flight, sadly this year I was not working until later in the afternoon and in a different department :(. However did get to see Maikha and Co travel out on it, and return back with stories to tell.

Good to see a great turnout at the event this year. Have been to previous Open Days and this was the best so far. It is a shame the RAAF could not provide a F/A 18 Hornet pass, however hopefully they can provide a Super Hornet show next year.

The Carnival
Some good stuff for the younger kids, however they should place some things in for the teens. Like Bumper Cars and other Carnival games for a decent price, less aviationy but fun all the same :P

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4472219706_bf2c90044c_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4472482182_36f03c2376_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2702/4471704601_4c53072c62_o.jpg

Aircraft

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4471441109_b3bb43eef8_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4472217688_dc31ac2217_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4471439863_23c099dcd9_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2771/4471440063_239da6c977_o.jpg
An often seen airport vehicle, yet not often photographed

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2685/4472218524_0781cbe8f9_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2790/4471441881_341948a318_o.jpg

Zac M