PDA

View Full Version : OJM - Frankfurt - Snow Pics

Gareth Forwood
8th February 2010, 08:51 AM
Some great photos there Andrew! Thanks for sharing.

AdamC
8th February 2010, 05:06 PM
Quick question.

how long does it take to de-ice one of those puppies?

Nice shots to Andrew. Looks like it may have been sitting there a while.

Cheers

Adam

Owen H
8th February 2010, 05:15 PM
It doesn't take all that long, although it depends if it is being done at the gate or near the runway, and how many trucks they're using.

Took about 20 minutes the other night on a 767, using a two step process (sometimes only one is needed, when it would be about half).

744 would take slightly longer I imagine, but not much.

Tony G
11th February 2010, 10:37 PM
Very Nice shots. Thanks for sharing. Dont get to see that in Australia.

Edward Terry
12th February 2010, 06:18 PM
How would you explain the snow forming in rectangles on forward half of the wing? It is possibly the presence of the ribs, which are warmer than the fuel in the tanks which are located between them?

Poor Second Officer that needs to do the walkaround :)!

Jason H
12th February 2010, 09:21 PM
Andrew, was this the flight departing FRA on Dec21 last year? A friend of mine was on that flight, which was OJM and told me about the snow before leaving

Fred C
12th February 2010, 09:53 PM
How would you explain the snow forming in rectangles on forward half of the wing? It is possibly the presence of the ribs, which are warmer than the fuel in the tanks which are located between them?
You are correct about the ribs. There is structure below where there is no snow. They are big fibreglass panels.

Where there is no snow on the wings is where there is fuel below in the inboard main fuel tanks. I guess the outboard main fuel tanks are cold so they don't melt the snow.:)