PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ seating question

Ben W
30th April 2008, 06:28 AM
About to book tix's through United on Air NZ back to Melbourne for Christmas and had a seating question for anyone that has traveled with two young kids (twin 4 year old boys in my case). I have the option of flying a 777 from SFO with 3x3x3 seating, meaning I can prop the kids up against the window in back to back rows with a parent in the middle and a stranger in the isle.

The other option is the 747 from LAX where we could use the middle 4 seats. Price is the same and flight time is close to the same...give or take 30 minutes. Just wondering if anyone has preferences or advice for which would be the better (or should I say easier) option?

Thank you,

Ben

NickN
30th April 2008, 07:25 AM
I have a large family, 4 kids. When we flew with the first 2 we always took the middle row as it was nice not to sit next to a stranger for a long flight.

David Ramsay
30th April 2008, 07:37 AM
I can't comment on the relative merits of the two options, even though I have memories of travelling with twins!

Be aware that not all the LAX-AKL flights are 74's. NZ5 operates with the 777 some days.

danielc
30th April 2008, 10:24 AM
I have travelled on both the 747-400 and 777 (most recent 777 trip was last month) between SFO and MEL over the past few years. Although I am a big fan of the 777, I actually prefer the seating on the (updated) 747-400s. The 747-400s retain the 34" seat pitch while on the 777 it has been reduced to 32". Over the course of a long flight that extra little space makes a difference.

On my most recent trip, because the plane was less than 50% full in Y, I had the entire centre row to myself. For some reason I had a hard time getting comfortable lying down. The one thing that I noticed was that the arms on the 777 seats do not really flip all of the way back but instead only go 90% of the way so the arm continues to protrude into your sleeping space. I also found it quite difficult to fasten the sleep belt while lying down even when extending it the full length. I could be wrong but I don't recall such issues on 747-400 flights.

I have always found Air New Zealand service to be excellent on all long distance flights, but for my money if I had a choice I would take the 747-400 flight.

Kent Broadhead
30th April 2008, 11:43 AM
I'd always take an option with at least one window - movies can't keep the kids occupied all the time (and I can switch and look out of the window too).:)

Another option is for kids and a parent in one row and the other parent in the row in front or behind, or across the aisle. Each of you can then have time out occasionally.

Another option is trying for the back of the 744, and getting two lots of 2?

Cheers

Kent

Ben W
2nd May 2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input. I ended up booking them last night and took the 747 option and got the seats at the back where it curves in where there are three sets of two. That should make life a little easier! Just hope they don't switch to the 777 between now and then!