PDA

View Full Version : Dinner & Drinks - NOW Saturday 17th May

Will T
30th April 2008, 10:21 AM
Hear ye, hear ye....

The much anticipated and long-overdue first Board get-together of the year has been locked in for Saturday 17th May at the Rowers.
Come along and meet and greet, put some faces to names, talk about planes, enjoy a steak and a beer, and generally be merry!

We intend to organise a get-together every 3-4 months or so. For the interstaters, there'll be something bigger around Jul/Aug, with plenty of notice. Either way, if you're free on the 17th then please do come along! New members are especially welcome.

Venue: St George Rowing Club (google map) (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1+Levey+St+Wolli+Creek+2205&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=55.824026,81.914063&ie=UTF8&z=17&iwloc=addr) http://www.stgeorgerowing.com.au/

There is plenty of parking at the Club, and anyone needing a lift from stations or terminals can post something up here.

Date: Saturday 17th May, 2008

Time: From 4pm ('til late!).

RSVP: Not required, but please fill out the 'poll' if you're planning on coming, so we can give the Rowers kitchen a heads up on the numbers.

Look forward to seeing everyone there.

(Under 18's are permitted in the Bistro area)

Kieran Wells
5th May 2008, 08:15 PM
Sorry unable to attend....Damn Target stocktakes i have to run....

Mick M
5th May 2008, 11:32 PM
These nights are only a success if EVERYONE makes the effort to come on down. It's a 10 minute walk to Wolli Creek railway station so you don't even have to drive. 15 minutes from the city if you go via East Hills and Campbelltown line ( just don't fall asleep on the train - you'll wake up in Glenfield with no wallet and one kidney).

You will be joining an elite group - well in our eyes anyways - for an evening of comraderie and boozalicious fun! If you haven't been before, remember everyone had to venture to the Rowers for the first time at some stage, and nobody normally bites (with the exception of Ray when you mention Ansett or LCC's - so stay away from those topics and we'll all be sweet!)

Kurt loves to organise these events, and as always, send him a quick note to let him know you can make it. It makes it easier for him to book his social calendar too! One of the real cohesive and inclusive members of the board, for which I salute his efforts.

but alas, the time for excuses will soon be at hand, so turn up or find another board to loiter on.

Craig Murray
6th May 2008, 08:55 PM
I agree entirely! I'd love to attend but alas I won't be able to make it down to this humble gathering of human beings. I hope you all have a choice night and many folk put faces to names....I'm sure it will be a most memorable night.

Adam P.
16th May 2008, 05:26 PM
Late shift swap means I can make it after all.

Hooray!!

Stephen Brown
16th May 2008, 06:53 PM
That tears it, Purcell going, I'm not

Adam P.
16th May 2008, 07:06 PM
What??? Browneye piking AGAIN???

Andrew C
16th May 2008, 10:10 PM
How many do we have for the drinks??

Grant Smith
16th May 2008, 11:39 PM
How many do we have for the drinks??

More than enough to make it a raging success :D

Craig Lindsay
17th May 2008, 08:30 AM
Sorry cant make it.The wife just had a premmy baby girl so im spending most of my time at the hospital.Ill will be at the next one for sure

Nigel C
17th May 2008, 09:25 AM
Congrats.

Although that would be a good cause to get out for a few (too many) drinks.;)

Craig Lindsay
17th May 2008, 09:29 AM
Congrats.

Although that would be a good cause to get out for a few (too many) drinks.;)

Id love a schooner or 20 at the moment
but i have to stay sober encase the hospital calls and wants me in there cause the little one is 10 weeks early.But when she is old enough she will be out at yssy with me

Andrew McLaughlin
17th May 2008, 09:33 AM
Speaking of kids (congrats Craig!), is the Rowers a kid friendly environment after 6pm?

Last time we were in the function room downstairs so it wasn't an issue - my daughter is begging me to come along again this evening but I'm not sure how welcome she'd be in the club.

BTW - I/We'll be down at the old tower carpark/beach from around 2.15 if anyone's around.

Cheers

Nigel C
17th May 2008, 11:51 AM
is the Rowers a kid friendly environment after 6pm?

It'd wanna be with all of us turning out!

Andrew McLaughlin
17th May 2008, 11:55 AM
It'd wanna be with all of us turning out!

You mean you're going Nige?

Hey kids...sorry, but the club said kids can't go in there after 6pm...yeah, I know...next time, ok?

Nigel C
17th May 2008, 12:10 PM
With bells and whistles on!

But don't expect too much (read 'any') intelligent conversation tonight, I've been up since 0310.:eek:

Adam P.
17th May 2008, 12:19 PM
We tried to schedule.. OK, we DID originally schedule it for a day that Nige couldn't turn up to.

Then Nige pulled a few strings, and it magically got changed to a day that I couldn't turn up to.

Think they're telling me something??

Then I worked some magic and voila! I'll be there. Foiled again, Nigel!

But don't expect too much (read 'any') intelligent conversation tonight,

As if we ever expect that normally!!!

Krzysztof M
17th May 2008, 01:25 PM
As if we ever expect that normally!!!

I was planning to pop in and have a drink or two on the way to work but turns out I have to start earlier so will have to miss out this time.

P.S. Darn, since high level of intelligence is not required, I could have been a major contributor! :rolleyes:

Nigel C
17th May 2008, 02:58 PM
I'm sure there'll be another one soon (to be set on a date when Adam's out of the country), and we can catch up then.
I have no doubt that the level of conversation will live up to your expectations!:p

Krzysztof M
17th May 2008, 03:13 PM
AHA! I'm feeling satisfied then :cool:

Well, have a nice evening and please have one or two for those absent.

And when I get back home, I'll watch late night news for a possible live coverage of Rowers rescue operation.

Krzysztof M
17th May 2008, 03:29 PM
(to be set on a date when Adam's out of the country)

Oh, but isn't bribing the immigration officer an illegal activity?

Adam P.
17th May 2008, 11:40 PM
when Adam's out of the country

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/blabla.gif

But who else will spill his steak all over... well, just all over?? :eek:

Mick M
17th May 2008, 11:43 PM
Woohoo.....great night was had by all. I counted at least 20 board personalities there. One particularly exuberant fellow, who obviously got too excited by the evening's events, managed to tip a whole steak dinner on the floor, via his lap. Made a fine mess too!

He did redeem himself by eating the recovered food items from his lap and could not suppress the need to eat a whole thick juicy steak that was returned to the plate in accordance with the 10 second rule. Adam P, you my friend, are a Champion!

Some great stories were told, some great memories relived, a few beers downed and some serious baggings handed out - mostly to those lame peasants amongst you that couldn't be bothered to front up. A rather bodacious evening was had by all. Some bloke called Will turned up, claiming to fly aeroplanes and to being a moderator ( yeah right, try and keep your brag stories real - a pilot...mmm.........maybe, but a moderator too..........as if!

We even had a proper journalist come along from one of them books with words and coloured pictures of aeroplanes. He promised us a subscription for turning up if he could put our photos in the book! Nigel C was there too, but he became very argumentative when I told him that if he was a real airport professional he would have kept his opinions to himself. My nose didn't bleed for long after that! I really suspect he drives the dunny cart or something.

Granny was in fine form as always and as per usual managed to clearly exceed the booze to instant buffoon ratio. By the time stumps was called he was talking in a language that was last recorded by Dr Livingstone in darkest Africa in the 17th century. And despite what Granny often said about Amsy, Amsy still turned up anyways.

The low turn out from the newer members was disappointing, but that's your loss, not ours. As per every previous event we all had a great time. So next time make sure you make the effort to show.

Stephen Brown
18th May 2008, 12:07 AM
Can't have been too much fun, I wasn't there....

Although it's always fun to watch Granny turn into a dribbling colostomy bag. Drop him at T3 on the way home??

Do you think next time that your people could contact my people so that we can liaise on a one to one basis to correct the oversight of timing issues that have hampered my appearance at previously said social occasion, and looking into the future, my attendance at said functions so I may partake in the flesh of a dead animal and a brewed cleansing refreshment

Mick M
18th May 2008, 12:14 AM
Well Browneye, it was a great night and I didn't even notice you weren't there although in hindsight I would agree my eyes needs testing! We're planning a trip to visit Floody up north, although he doesn't know it yet!

I was disappointed there was no Duck on the menu at the rowers though!

Nigel C
18th May 2008, 12:44 AM
Granny, a dribbling colostomy bag? Understatement of the year!:p

It was a one way conversation back to Wollongong, and I wasn't the one doing the talking!

I agree with Mick that the turnout was disappointing, however a great night was had by those in attendance.

For the newer members, I highly recommend a dinner and drinks get together, even if you are under age. We could tell the bar staff that you're with a 'responsible adult', if only we could find them right at that moment!

And don't feel that you wouldn't fit in...we're a pretty easy bunch of people to be around despite the rumours that circulate here;). As Mick said, there are a lot of stories to be told, some funny moments to be had, and a wealth of knowledge on just about anything.

Andrew McLaughlin
18th May 2008, 07:43 AM
As Mick said, there are a lot of stories to be told, some funny moments to be had, and a wealth of knowledge on just about anything.

...except aviation, airports, aircraft...stuff like that. On those points we're just jibberers!

Great night though guys - thanks for the company and the entertainment (Adam...I've got pictures mate!) The kids have never been so quiet... although I suspect it's because they couldn't have got a word in anyway!

Cheers

Andrew

Philip Argy
18th May 2008, 08:27 AM
The Board is very quiet this morning - it MUST have been a good night! :D

Adam P.
18th May 2008, 10:17 AM
(Adam...I've got pictures mate!)

Damn those fandangle camera phones people have these days.... http://www.geocities.com/kookabat/bike.gif

David M
18th May 2008, 10:44 AM
Damn those fandangle camera phones people have these days....

Don't you just hate technology Adam. All you really had to do is NOT spill your steak onto the floor and we'd be none the wiser as to your eating habits!

Wait 'til I tell everyone in crewing!!! :D

David.M.

Adam P.
18th May 2008, 10:57 AM
Hurry up and organise the next gathering, someone, so that Granny can do something silly thereby reclaiming the title of Muppet of the Day from me...

Brenden S
18th May 2008, 11:02 AM
Andrew, share the pics. As for the younger members, don't be shy. Come along. Now are we going to have that all famous gathering early next year?

Rhys Xanthis
18th May 2008, 11:13 AM
Should do something during next years Avalon air show.

David Ramsay
18th May 2008, 11:16 AM
Now you know why it was organised for a night Adam was (supposed to be) working. :rolleyes:

Sounds like I missed a good night. :mad:

Raymond Rowe
18th May 2008, 11:41 AM
Well if you guys think that is a great night wait till the spotting weekends.The action does not usually start till about 1 am and then the real fun begins.Sounds like a great night guys.Nice to see Granny has lived to usual standards.

Nigel C
18th May 2008, 12:58 PM
Now you know why it was organised for a night Adam was (supposed to be) working. :rolleyes:

Sounds like I missed a good night. :mad:

The next one is to be organised when you're over from across the dutch. A Wednesday night is preferable (I'll explain later!), so can you please let me know with a little bit of notice?
If you're here and it's a weekend, then that's fine. Just let me know!

Adam, what's this 'Muppet of the Day' business? Muppet of the Month is more like it!:D

A truly classy display!

David Ramsay
18th May 2008, 01:13 PM
Cheers Nigel.

I haven't been back over there since the last memorable night at the DoG.

Nice to see Granny went home with you this time instead of with Mick. :p

Grant Smith
19th May 2008, 12:41 AM
It's going to take something BIG to trump Adam's effort! That was just too funny...

There's 13 responses on the board poll stating that people were showing up at one stage or another - unless the rest of Andrew's family signed up to the board then I'm sure there wasn't 13 of us there...

But of the select few who did show were treated to some fine entertainment, was it mentioned Adam dropped his dinner? If not Adam dropped his steak complete with chips and sauce onto the floor and then proceeded to pick it up off the floor and continue to finish it off...

Look forward to a better showing next time 'round with some equally good quality banter!

Cheers lads!

:D

Adam P.
19th May 2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah thanks, Granny. Thanks a lot!! :rolleyes:

Andrew McLaughlin
19th May 2008, 08:11 AM
It's going to take something BIG to trump Adam's effort! That was just too funny...

There's 13 responses on the board poll stating that people were showing up at one stage or another - unless the rest of Andrew's family signed up to the board then I'm sure there wasn't 13 of us there...

But of the select few who did show were treated to some fine entertainment, was it mentioned Adam dropped his dinner? If not Adam dropped his steak complete with chips and sauce onto the floor and then proceeded to pick it up off the floor and continue to finish it off...

Look forward to a better showing next time 'round with some equally good quality banter!

Cheers lads!

I only clicked the poll once, so it seems were were about five short somewhere...

Bernie P
19th May 2008, 09:02 AM
I think, I can't really remember ( :o ) but due to us doing IVF cycle at the moment, my wife was in no condition to be left alone as depression is a side effect of the hormonal treatment... NOT to mention, that this cycle, our third since August last year, cost us $4,000!

So, my apologies for my non attendance, and I hope a good night was had by all!

Grant Smith
19th May 2008, 11:37 AM
Yeah thanks, Granny. Thanks a lot!! :rolleyes:

I should be thanking you Adam... Hahaha :D

Grant Smith
24th May 2008, 04:04 AM
**BUMP**

When's the next one guys!

Raymond Rowe
24th May 2008, 03:20 PM
**BUMP**

When's the next one guys!

FEB Next year when everyone can get there.

Adam P.
24th May 2008, 04:50 PM
No Ray you misunderstood. Granny's asked when the *NEXT* one is. February is quite far away.

Lads I get my new roster in the next few days, pick a date then!

Nigel C
24th May 2008, 08:35 PM
How about you tell us when you're working, and then we'll decide.

I don't know if I could handle sitting next to you when you spill your dinner...again.

Grant Smith
24th May 2008, 11:25 PM
FEB '09?? You're kidding Swaggy - NO chance of that being the next time we partake in the slaughtering of cow and devouring of amber ales (or is that the other way 'round Adam?) - and the anticipation of Adam spilling his dinner again is too much :D

Nigel C
25th May 2008, 08:13 AM
With entertainment of the type that Adam provides, I'm surprised there aren't more turn up to these gatherings.
It really is a show that the whole family can enjoy. Andrew Mc can attest to that!

David M
26th May 2008, 10:40 AM
Maybe we could sell tickets to the next event.. I'm sure there would be plenty of people who'd pay to see Adam spill his steak again!

Front row seating anyone..I've got GOLD tickets for sale!!! :D

David.M.

Adam P.
26th May 2008, 01:33 PM
Bloody hell you lot. :mad:

It's already been done, I feel no need to repeat the feat.

Kurt A
26th May 2008, 01:48 PM
Yes, I think this steak is pretty much well done!