PDA

View Full Version : DJ Tyre Blowout At Sydney

Tim Bowrey
1st May 2008, 12:17 PM
Yesterday(April 30, 2008) at 4:20pm DJ414 opperated by VH-VBI was begining it's takeoff roll down RWY34L as a giant puff of white smoke was expelled from the aircraft's landing gear. The DJ pilot said he was suffered a tire blowout and there was as object that appeared about 30cm long and 2cm wide which caught his eye about 300m from the 34L threshold about 2m to the left of the centreline.

The Sydney Tower controller(120.5) replied "Your inside left tyre is shreaded" as they exited at Bravo rapid exit. RWY34L was closed for about 20mins as Car 2 and 3 searched the runway for any problems. They said they saw hundreds of little bits of shreaded tyre but no sight of the metal bar(much like the Concorde story). They called the runway to be closed and required a sweep cleaner to come on the runway and clear it ASAP as "QF5 SYD-SIN-FRA" (VH-OJJ) had been holding at A6 for almost this whole time in which all flights were diverted to 34R.

According to Sydney Tower, they were having an interesting conversation with Car 2 saying that an earlier flight "Malaysian Cargo 747-200F" had a very rough landing(very smoking and hard which I saw) according to the MASkargo captain who was contacted.

Runway 34L in total was closed for about 1 hour until BA10 was taxiing for departure and EK419 was about to land. Although there wasnt much good traffic besides a few cargos that arrived/departed it wasn't the best day for spotting until I got a situation like this.

I will post some pics soon, although you can't see much of the popped tyre as it was an inside one.

Thanks for reading!

Tim

Nigel C
1st May 2008, 12:33 PM
They said they saw hundreds of little bits of shreaded tyre

Are you a journalist or a budding journalist? You should know that misquoting people is not very nice.

They called the runway to be closed

It wasn't a request, it was a statement. The runway was not available, period, due to debris. In a situation like this, it is a standard procedure.

The holding time of QF5 or indeed any go-arounds or diversions affected by it is not a priority. Making sure the runway is fully serviceable before the next movement, not matter how soon or otherwise, is the priority. If delays are experienced, so be it, but the biggest concern was the fast fading light conditions.

Tim Bowrey
1st May 2008, 12:47 PM
Are you a journalist or a budding journalist? You should know that misquoting people is not very nice.

No im not a jounalist Nigel, i do General English in school. Why are you having a go at me for reporting something i saw happen yesterday? Im not a professional news reporter, nor do i want to be one. Is there anything i can say and you won't get angry?

Andrew P
1st May 2008, 12:58 PM

your post is over the top,

Banjo

NickN
1st May 2008, 01:02 PM
Jesus how uptight are some people around here. Tim was just calling it for what he saw he wasn't giving a sworn affadavit of exactly what transpired. Nor did he say he was giving his expert opinion. Leave the guy alone.

I for one appreciated the read and thought it was very interesting.

Paul McFarlane
1st May 2008, 01:14 PM
WOW.. I can just feel the love in the room! ;)

Guys guys guys... all this emotion and anger.

Maybe (just maybe) Nigel's response wasn't filled with the anger that some have claimed.. I cannot be sure, so how can anyone else.. The body of the text, in my opinion, could be read either way.

We all know that it is hard to communicate the feeling of a conversation with text - so I for one would give it the benefit of the doubt.

Just my 2 cents

cheers
Paul

PS. I did enjoy the story Tim.

Steve S... 2
1st May 2008, 01:31 PM
Looks like Nigel likes to notch up alot of posts - 267 in just over a month. :)

Steve S... 2
1st May 2008, 01:35 PM
Hi Tim,

I hope you post the pics soon, I am interested in the whole event.

Thanks,

Steve S.

Stephen Brown
1st May 2008, 01:56 PM
I'd rather hear from Nigel that would have more accurate information than a post full of hearsay.

Montague S
1st May 2008, 02:22 PM
another day at the office by the sounds of it...

Nigel C
1st May 2008, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C

your post is over the top,

Banjo

And your opinion here is valued and noted.

Isn't it funny that people here are so critical of the medias reporting of events because of the inaccuracies...I wonder where some of the inaccuracies come from?

Thus far I haven't seen anything in the media about this 'event', but it would be fair to say the media most probably do browse boards such as this one looking for a headline.

All I'm saying is if people witness an event and want to comment on it, then please try to make it accurate, and don't sensationalise it. I'm certainly not trying to censure Tim.

Regards,

Nigel C
1st May 2008, 02:43 PM
Why are you having a go at me for reporting something i saw happen yesterday?

Not having a go at you for reporting it, but just asking that you make it factually accurate and not stretch the truth.

And for what it's worth, the runway was closed for about half of your quoted time of 'about 1 hour'

Is there anything i can say and you won't get angry?

I'm not angry, but I am a straight shooter. I'll tell it how I see it, and if that offends you then it's not my problem.
If you come to the Rowers on the 17th, then come and have a talk to me. I won't bite your head off, I promise.

Regards,
Nigel

NickN
1st May 2008, 05:25 PM
I'd rather hear from Nigel that would have more accurate information than a post full of hearsay.

Well Nigel didn't post the topic did he so just make do with what you got and appreciate the fact someone put this thread up for those of us who appreciate the info.

I didn't see any rules anywhere which state all posts must be 100% accurate and must not contain traces of hearsay. Tim relayed the info as best he could. If it's not up to your pristine standards of modern journalism, don;t reply.

Brendon I.
1st May 2008, 05:35 PM
The guy was there. He is stating what he saw and heard. What's wrong with that? While not quoted directly it sounds as though he has heard someone say something about seeing "hundreds of little bits of shredded tyre". Being that the airport is a restricted area I think it is safe to say that whoever made the comment has some idea of whats going on and it hasn't come from Joe Bloggs walking his dog down the runway. On the other hand if he (Tim) did make it up then I'm sure he would fit in really well at somewhere like The Daily Telegraph.

Tim, maybe if you can recall who made the statement about the shredded tyre some of the doubters here may know this person and can challenge "them" as to what they saw.

Stephen Brown
1st May 2008, 08:39 PM
Well Nigel didn't post the topic did he so just make do with what you got and appreciate the fact someone put this thread up for those of us who appreciate the info.

I didn't see any rules anywhere which state all posts must be 100% accurate and must not contain traces of hearsay. Tim relayed the info as best he could. If it's not up to your pristine standards of modern journalism, don;t reply.

The story was full of sensationalistic Hyperbole

"Giant Cloud of smoke" - Compared to what?

"Like the concorde" - What are DJ flying big white delta winged aircraft now? Did it crash and kill the passengers? I bet the relatives of those who perished on the Concorde wish it was just a blown tyre.

"Hundreds of bits of shredded tyre" - Well was there a count made?

I'd expect this sort of over-reactive reporting in the Daily Telegraph not on a message board. I was waiting for an interview with one of the passengers who 'feared for their lives'.

I, and I know may others, would like to know the real facts not sensationalised pieced together supposition.

Nigel C
1st May 2008, 08:59 PM
Looks like Nigel likes to notch up alot of posts - 267 in just over a month. :)

And your point is...?

I'm not really sure of the relevance of this post to this, or indeed any other topic.

If I've missed something, then please feel free to share!

Chris Roope
1st May 2008, 09:29 PM
You're all idiots.

Nigel C
1st May 2008, 09:36 PM
:D

Haha!

I know you're probably referring to me as well, but nice call!

Brendon I.
1st May 2008, 09:37 PM

Stephen,

How is Tim's post hearsay??

From memory, Hearsay is something that someone did not personally see, hear or otherwise perceive. (not exact definition but similar to)It's from a section in the Evidence Act.

Also, I remember that you posted something a little while back about a "trend by younger posters to discount correct information that has been posted by the professionals that inhabit the board..." (Sorry couldnt get the qoute thing to work)

Why are you discounting information as perceived by a fellow board member? Hope it's not because he is young. He was there. He saw and heard what went on and wrote about it on here because he thought others might be interested. So far it would seem that there no professionals have come forward and filled us all in on the exact circumstances.

Bring on the photos Tim.

Nick W.
1st May 2008, 09:40 PM
You're all idiots.

so you finally said it after talking it up....

:eek:

Stephen Brown
1st May 2008, 09:48 PM
Stephen,

How is Tim's post hearsay??

From memory, Hearsay is something that someone did not personally see, hear or otherwise perceive. (not exact definition but similar to)It's from a section in the Evidence Act.

Also, I remember that you posted something a little while back about a "trend by younger posters to discount correct information that has been posted by the professionals that inhabit the board..." (Sorry couldnt get the qoute thing to work)

Why are you discounting information as perceived by a fellow board member? Hope it's not because he is young. He was there. He saw and heard what went on and wrote about it on here because he thought others might be interested. So far it would seem that there no professionals have come forward and filled us all in on the exact circumstances.

Bring on the photos Tim.

The hearsay part comes from the alleged actions of the MASkargo aircraft dropping something after a heavy landing. Nobody knew anything for sure and it was irresponsible to suggest that anything like that happened.

Nigel C
1st May 2008, 09:52 PM
So far it would seem that there no professionals have come forward and filled us all in on the exact circumstances.

I was there. But as a professional, I won't comment on the finer details of the tyre blowout until any potential investigations are complete, by which time this topic will be a distant memory. If there is an investigation, it could take months.

Nick W.
1st May 2008, 09:55 PM
I, and I know may others, would like to know the real facts not sensationalised pieced together supposition.

If I were to do the same to your post as you did to Tim's, I'd extract the words "sensationalised" and "supposition" and use them to analyse the way you skewed a perfectly good post, like your own spin on the concorde. Don't take it the wrong way, Stephen, I always enjoy reading your points due to their honesty and factual evidence, but sometimes you need to take stories that will be built upon with a pinch of salt. FOX News ticker, anybody?...

The way things often work on this board is a very good process: either someone who knows all the relevant details makes an absolute post, or a story is told and others add to it as more information becomes known. This thread is really not much about Tim's account at all, but what is right to post and what is not! Is Tim safe to say about how something like how he brushes his teeth tonight, or will someone jump on him for not looking at how the toothbrush thought about it and if he forgot to mention a brand?

I, for one, liked your account Tim. By the way, shouldn't you be at school? I mean, I know I have exams right now (modern and maths on the same day today...) but some of the year 12's on this board seem to very rare attend! :eek::D

N

Greg McDonald
1st May 2008, 10:57 PM
All the mods must be tucked up in their little beds tonight:rolleyes:

Ray P.
1st May 2008, 11:54 PM
This is a fun thread. I especially cracked up when I read the 'as a professional, I won't comment' comment :p. Of course it's considered extremely professional to sit back and pass comment on Tim's take on the incident. I would have thought that a professional would have stayed out of this thread entirely if they were at all concerned that the matter was under investigation.

.... and matter closed - mod