PDA

View Full Version : from today's pm online Herald Sun

Geoff W
15th March 2010, 04:08 PM
Qantas 737-400 from Melbourne makes one-engine landing at Canberra Airport

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/news/qantas-737-400-from-melbourne-makes-one-engine-landing-at-canberra-airport/story-fn32891l-1225841020407

despite the hype, at what point 50% into the flight in this instance does the OIC, say lets go for it?

I mean in relation to more emergency services being available IF needed. (maybe where they came from?) They were not needed in a negative way thankfully.

I am not knocking his/her call. Just interested.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Anthony T
15th March 2010, 04:52 PM
Hi there

What is worst that can happen if they continue to Canberra, the other engine dies?, that would probably happen on the return to MEL anyway.
even though the terrain on the MEL approach is better, they still wouldn't have made it.

Weather, was CBR better than MEL?

ATC, lower workload the CBR terminal area compared to MEL?

I don't know why they continued, although it definatley wasn't for the nightlife in Canberra on a sunday evening. :D

Anthony T

Kelvin R
16th March 2010, 07:24 AM
30 min into flight (rather than from gate) would have been well over the half way point to Canberra.

Todd Milton
17th March 2010, 05:17 AM
Atleast It is better than the Canberra Times article of 'Ailing jet forced to land in Canberra'. Yes, gravity did force it down but nobody else did seeing it was coming here in the first place! Aircraft was VH-TJO, it could be seen being towed yesterday to perform run up tests at the runway 17 end.

Kelvin R
18th March 2010, 06:04 AM
To put this into context I flew CBR-MEL yesterday and we had a 45 min flight time.