PDA

View Full Version : MAS 'Wunala'?

Philip Argy
2nd May 2008, 07:25 AM
Just caught a glimpse of what I think was an MAS 743 in Wunulla style livery on final approach to 16R - does anyone know more about it?

David O.
2nd May 2008, 07:43 AM
That's Malaysian Airlines Hibiscus theme:p Its been around for a while but it will be going tback to normal livery soon :(

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6215742&nseq=2

Philip Argy
2nd May 2008, 07:47 AM
Yes - that's the one - thanks, David.

Montague S
2nd May 2008, 08:10 AM
all 3 will be repainted in the very near future.

Shameel Kumar
2nd May 2008, 06:55 PM
That's Malaysian Airlines Hibiscus theme:p Its been around for a while but it will be going tback to normal livery soon :(

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6215742&nseq=2

Whaaaat.... :eek: ...what on earth would possess them to do that ???? They can't afford to keep touching up it's paint job or something ?

Bloody hell.. better get out there more to catch the Hibicus livery, but who knows when the damn thing comes n goes.. :confused:

Brian Wilkes
2nd May 2008, 08:12 PM
Whaaaat.... :eek: ...what on earth would possess them to do that ???? They can't afford to keep touching up it's paint job or something ?

Bloody hell.. better get out there more to catch the Hibicus livery, but who knows when the damn thing comes n goes.. :confused:

What if they were to get painted in MH's hinted new livery:eek:

Tsen Tsan
3rd May 2008, 12:21 AM
MPD is already in the repaint shop btw...

J Brown
3rd May 2008, 04:45 AM
The estimated fuel savings per a/c once they have removed the speccy colours is RM900,000 (touch over 300K aussie) per year in fuel costs. No brainer

Tim Bowrey
3rd May 2008, 10:02 AM
all 3 will be repainted in the very near future.

All 3? I thought there was only 2 Hibiscus schemes? Or do you mean the Heliconia scheme on the 777 too? There was MPD, MPB and MRD. They're all being painted over:( What are MH thinking?

One of the 744's in Hibiscus livery. 9M-MPD
http://myaviation.net/?pid=01322822

Tim

Montague S
3rd May 2008, 10:34 AM
yes the 2 x 744's and the 777 will be repainted.

what are they thinking? that the advert campaign has served its purpose...

Karl M
3rd May 2008, 01:28 PM
Well they were painted nearly 3 years ago, for the sole purpose of advertising there new business class.

I think it is time to move on, although it wll be a shame that we dont see them in their stunning schemes anymore.

Philip Argy
4th May 2008, 07:37 AM
They really are nice to look at, but what is the physics behind the difference in fuel costs between Hibiscus and standard livery? Does an extra paint layer or colour transition really affect laminar air flow to such an appreciable extent? I'm assuming that's the underlying physics, or is it something else?

Nick W.
4th May 2008, 09:02 AM
It's all about the weight, Philip. Special paint schemes are painted in layers, such as this photo of the current QF wunula before colours were applied:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas/Boeing-747-438-ER/0381828/L/

your standard aircraft will have a base colour with titled applied over it, but the special schemes have a considerable amound of paint done over the primer, hence more weight is added.

from answers.yahoo.com these figures are shown:

747-400 fully painted-555lbs
747-400 polished with painted customer markings-55lbs

but that is for a 'standard' eurowhite aircraft, so you'll understand that it would be a greater difference for special paint schemes!

For all your QF drivers out there, are the performance figures considerably difference for VH-OEJ due to the paint?

Nick

Raymond Rowe
4th May 2008, 06:10 PM
It's all about the weight, Philip. Special paint schemes are painted in layers, such as this photo of the current QF wunula before colours were applied:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas/Boeing-747-438-ER/0381828/L/

your standard aircraft will have a base colour with titled applied over it, but the special schemes have a considerable amound of paint done over the primer, hence more weight is added.

Nick

Nick your information is wrong.when special colours are painted theyprep the aircraft then thsy put masks on or tape the different paint areas off with paper.Then the paint is applied and once dry they then mask over that painted area.Then the next colour is applied and so the process goes on.

Nick W.
4th May 2008, 06:15 PM
sorry ray, I was just going by what I've seen of videos of aircraft being painted with special schemes.

i'll take your word for it and stand corrected by an expert in the field

N

Tsen Tsan
10th May 2008, 05:19 PM
"Hibiscus" is officially gone. MPD has returned to service in standard livery, while MPB has made her last ferry flight to SZB to for repainting.

Now,we're left with Heliconia which should have done ADL this morning.

David Wilkie
10th May 2008, 09:50 PM
Yes it was in ADL today, got a couple of shots of it in case the next time i see it's in the normal c/s

Tsen Tsan
10th May 2008, 10:11 PM
Thats great, it was originally scheduled for MEL but on Fri morning they changed routing to ADL...

Marty H
10th May 2008, 11:28 PM
Thats great, it was originally scheduled for MEL but on Fri morning they changed routing to ADL...

Got any idea if she will make another visit to MEL before she is repainted?

Paul C.
11th May 2008, 12:40 AM
MPD is already in the repaint shop btw...

That is alot of paint to remove, and replace.

Marty H
12th May 2008, 08:04 PM
9M-MRD is currently in MEL tonight.