PDA

View Full Version : Merpati B737 skids off runway

Geoff W
13th April 2010, 02:41 PM
Source The Age

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/passenger-plane-skids-off-runway-in-indonesia-20100413-s6dj.html

David Knudsen
13th April 2010, 05:15 PM
Has been reported as being PK-MDE

Matt_L
14th April 2010, 11:27 AM
Some of the comments on this story on news ltd sites etc are just a joke- people saying how could this happen etc and saying the airline is safe.

Searching up on Avherald and seeing the said airline has impacted mountains, animals on runway, overrun and split in two in river.. it is just not even a question about safety.

Just doesn't seem right that these guys can get so much less criticism then Qantas for example when they have minor minor incidents comparitively and this airline is such a dangerous blacklisted one (as far as i know). Sure there's the QF bashers in media and it is something close to home rather then Indo but the irony is just incredible.

Harry G
14th April 2010, 02:49 PM
the last major incodent summed it all up........ the investigation was a farce to say the least and we we go again......
why in the hell would you fly with ANY carrier in Indonesia.........their record is appalling...... and we only saw it for a couple of minutes on TV.......
Qantas at least gets half the news service, double page spread in the papers and the radio has a feast........
and that sums up the abhorant biased reporting in this country!

Nigel C
14th April 2010, 03:20 PM
...animals on runway...

And just how is this the airlines fault? Please Matt, do tell.

Just doesn't seem right that these guys can get so much less criticism...

And it just doesn't seem right that you come here re-quoting this rubbish as though it is the airlines fault that they've hit animals on a runway. :rolleyes:

Look, if Australian engineers looked after the Merpati aircraft, then I'm sure our beloved Unions would be doing their utmost to leak to the media every chicken and goat strike that occurred in remote parts of the country. Unfortunately Merpati's Engineering Union (if one exists?) don't seem to have a hotline to the Daily Telegraph or SMH or news.com.au like our Unions do here...:rolleyes:

Matt_L
14th April 2010, 03:50 PM
Nigel,

the animals on runway sure isn't the airlines fault but it was just ONE of a long list of incidents/accidents.

I know that you are well aware of aviation safety or lackthereof in this part of the world and trying to say anything otherwise is being irresponsible.

Btw Nigel- almost at 2000 posts.. what happens when you get the big 2K- does SACL throw a party?:P

Paul f.
14th April 2010, 04:12 PM
Some of the comments on this story on news ltd sites etc are just a joke- people saying how could this happen etc and saying the airline is safe.

Searching up on Avherald and seeing the said airline has impacted mountains, animals on runway, overrun and split in two in river.. it is just not even a question about safety.

Just doesn't seem right that these guys can get so much less criticism then Qantas for example when they have minor minor incidents comparitively and this airline is such a dangerous blacklisted one (as far as i know). Sure there's the QF bashers in media and it is something close to home rather then Indo but the irony is just incredible.Matt,take this into consideration Merpati operate into airports daily which would not be up to the same safety standards that QF and other airlines fly into;),also from where are you getting this info that they are blacklisted:confused:.

Adam G
14th April 2010, 05:10 PM
It's also not comparing Apples to Apples.

The 2 mentioned airlines operated under totally different regulatory systems, operate totally different types of operations, have staff trained under totally different environments, have very different cultures (both operationally and nationally) and operate in very different enviornments (flying domestically in Indonesia presents very different challenges to domestically in Australia including very different weather patterns, different airports and ATC etc).

I've flown on Indonesian carriers multiple times and survived to tell the story - to be honest I have been more concerned on some domestic flights in the USA!!

Montague S
14th April 2010, 06:04 PM

Just doesn't seem right that these guys can get so much less criticism then Qantas for example when they have minor minor incidents comparitively and this airline is such a dangerous blacklisted one (as far as i know)..

what is it a question of Matt, given your experience in matters like these I am sure all of us here are awaiting your answers.

Nigel C
14th April 2010, 08:44 PM
Btw Nigel- almost at 2000 posts.. what happens when you get the big 2K- does SACL throw a party?:P

I'd have more chance of the Mods and Admins here taking me out for a beer at their expense to mark the occasion...:cool:

Yeah right.:rolleyes:

Kurt A
15th April 2010, 09:47 AM
...a beer at their expense:cool:

"Yeah right" is correct, haha :D (although, I think we are due for another)