PDA

View Full Version : Honolulu Queries?

Lukas M
2nd May 2008, 05:01 PM
Possibly going to Honolulu in First week of December, and was just wondering where is good accomodation at budget prices (like Australia's formulae 1, accor hotels etc.. for 1 person). Apparently its really expensive(accom) in Hawaii, is this true???

Grant Smith
2nd May 2008, 05:16 PM
Accor doesn't have any hotels in Hawai'i... Depending on what you call expensive, Hawai'i can be very expensive - but it's all about where you go...

Take a look at Hotels.com (http://www.hotels.com).

Jamie D
2nd May 2008, 08:19 PM
Lukas,
It all depends where you want to stay, do you want to be in the heart of Waikiki? My wife and i and little boy stayed at the end of the strip in march last year and it was appox $1400 usd for the 7 nights. there are a variety of accomodations around this area. take a look at tripadvisor.com and you can look up all sorts of accom and link to expeadia to book somethng if you like ti

Adam G
2nd May 2008, 10:19 PM
I've been to Hawaii a number of times & in context to other beach resorts around the world it's certainly not expensive. It is however more expensive then the mainland for some things.

I've never tried to do Hawaii on the super cheap however from what I've seen there's a variety of accom available, you can get very cheap transport once there to sight see and you can eat/drink on the cheap too.

During a recent visit I was a bit disappointed that Waikiki has lost some of it's original charm I guess - it just seems to keep developing - if you want to experience the "real hawaii" you'll need to get our of Waikiki and do some exploring.

Grant Smith
3rd May 2008, 04:16 AM
If you are going to use Tripadvisor.com (http://www.tripadvisor.com) to gather information on hotels do so with a grain of salt - the reviews on there are all based on individual experience, and may not be a true reflection of the hotel...

Andrew M
3rd May 2008, 11:31 AM
tripadvisor is a great resource and one of the most accurate tools out there for honest reviews about hotels.

Generally avoid people who start their comments with the following though

I have stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world
I have traveled to many hotels in many countries
As a person with discerning taste

You get the idea, when reading reviews take everything with a grain of salt, one person can have a really bad experience while the next has a perfect experience

Look at the pictures taken by the reviewers they usually tell more than what is written.

As for cost, yes Wakiki is expensive for what you get but it is a lovely place but is being developed very fast and hotels like Trump will spoil the charm :mad::mad:

I stayed at the Outrigger Regency on Beach walk which is around $250USD a night, which while not cheap gives you a nice big new 1 Bedroom apartment, about a 5 minute walk from the beach. For anything beachfront in Wakiki be prepared to pay $300USD per night +++ for a small old room.

If you stay a bit futher away the price will drop.

How many nights do you have ? Do you want to visit the other Hawaii islands as well ?

I will be there in Nov/Dec as well as I picked up a Jetstar sale fare as well :)

Andrew M
3rd May 2008, 11:39 AM
Okay you did ask for budget so $200USD per night will not be what your looking for

Had another look and you should get something for around $90USD per night :) Just have a good look on Tripadvisor under Honolulu Hotels and sort the list via price :)

Chris Tully
3rd May 2008, 12:01 PM
Keep in mind most properties in Honolulu are fairly old in their decor and design.

You can find good value in the Resort Quest chain. They have a few properties within Honolulu.

I normally stay at the Resort Quest Waikiki which is located on the beach in the heart of Waikiki.

They offer breakfast daily included in the rate. Great views and the decor is much better than most hotels that don't price you out of the market.

Resort Quest (http://www.resortquesthawaii.com/hawaii/propertyOverview.do?propertyGroupId=34365)