PDA

View Full Version : How quiet is the C17!

Mark Grima
4th May 2008, 10:43 AM
I was at the Clarendon Homes display home village just opposite Parklea Markets yesterday when I heard a ever so slight rumble in the air, I look up expecting to see a small jet of some type, maybe even a biz jet and get the shock of my life when I see it was a massive C17 only a couple hundred metres above my head. Having never seen on in the air before I was very very surprised and just how quite it was. I guess you just don't associate war birds with quietness.

I then instantly remember that it was bringing home our fallen digger from Afghanistan. May he rest in peace.

Cheers

M

Chris Tully
4th May 2008, 11:30 AM
The C-17 is powered by four Pratt & Whitney PW2040 series turbofans.

This same enigne is used on the 757 with various operators.

Rhys Xanthis
4th May 2008, 03:49 PM
So C-17's are doing Afghanistan runs now?

I thoght that was C-130 usually stopping at Diego Garcia.

Montague S
4th May 2008, 04:05 PM
they are quite quiet... :rolleyes:

Andrew P
4th May 2008, 04:05 PM

bring back the body of the Australian soldier killed there last week

Banjo

damien b
4th May 2008, 06:38 PM

Its why they were purchased, to do cargo runs instead of leasing aircraft to do the runs.

Brenden S
5th May 2008, 01:14 PM
A C130H bought back the fallen soldier, thats what was on the TV.

Russell D
5th May 2008, 05:52 PM
A C-130 flew really low over my school today at about 11ish. Was heading northbound towards YSRI, had some flap extension. Was really really loud and made everyone stop and watch. Must have been at about 1000ft AMSL at maximum. Any idea whether it was for a special operations exercise or something? (e.g parachuting)

I'm guessing it was one of the j models as it had a heavily camouflaged livery.

Cheers
P.S. Love the smoke those Hercs leave behind.

damien b
5th May 2008, 06:41 PM

Lance Corporal Jason Marks body was flown out of Afghanistan on a C-130H and he arrived at RAAF Richmond on a C-17 with the casket draped in the Australian Flag and pall bearers bringing the casket out through a column of Australian soldiers.

Russel, the H's are camouflaged, the J's are grey although the H's (and J's)are being repainted in a two tone grey paint scheme.

Andrew Neil
5th May 2008, 07:19 PM
the camo thing you would have seen today is an overseas thing with the callsign "Condor"

Singapore i think off the top of my head.

the C17 that landed at Richmond on Saturday left just after the service. i was out there at the time

Russell D
7th May 2008, 07:36 PM
Russel, the H's are camouflaged, the J's are grey although the H's (and J's)are being repainted in a two tone grey paint scheme.

Cheers Damien. Got the two mixed up.

the camo thing you would have seen today is an overseas thing with the callsign "Condor"

Singapore i think off the top of my head.

I pretty sure you're right, because I distinctly remember noticing that the camo scheme was a much darker version similar to a "jungle" theme using greens similar to that of the US Marines.

Definitely darker in comparison to the RAAF camo hercs.

Andrew P
7th May 2008, 07:45 PM

funny, but the picture I saw was off a C17

obviously one of the TV channel was using old file film

Banjo

damien b
7th May 2008, 08:52 PM
Banjo if you read my previous post you'll see that the C-130H brought Lance Corporal Jason Marks body out of Afghanistan and the C-17 brought his body into RAAF Richmond. I assume the C-17 either couldn't get into the airfield in Afghanistan and the C-130H transported Jason to another location in the area or they swaped planes at a place such as Diego Garcia.

Jethro H
7th May 2008, 10:16 PM
funny, but the picture I saw was off a C17

obviously one of the TV channel was using old file film

Banjo

The vision from Richmond ceremony was filmed by Defence as the media were not permitted, as requested by the family.

Defence then used a freelance microwave link truck to send out selected footage and was sent to all networks at about 1615hrs, so it is surprising why someone used old footage, unless it was TEN who would of been pushing time due to their 5pm time slot.

There were a couple solders returned from Vietnam last year on C-130s, maybe they used that footage?

Russell D
9th May 2008, 08:08 PM
Thursday 9th May (approx 1:30-2:40pm)
Saw some C-130s (one grey and two camouflaged) doing some low-flying over the Londonderry/Castlereagh are. Had some flaps deployed and were making some rather tight banking turns relatively low to the ground.

Possibly some international training run with that Singapore C-130 perhaps? If I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw at least one of the C-130s (the grey one) with the rear loading ramp thingy open.

Robert Zweck
9th May 2008, 08:32 PM
I am lead to believe that last Friday, a C-17 was doing practice approaches and go-arounds at Maroochydore

damien b
10th May 2008, 07:24 AM
Thursday 9th May (approx 1:30-2:40pm)
Saw some C-130s (one grey and two camouflaged) doing some low-flying over the Londonderry/Castlereagh are. Had some flaps deployed and were making some rather tight banking turns relatively low to the ground.

Possibly some international training run with that Singapore C-130 perhaps? If I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw at least one of the C-130s (the grey one) with the rear loading ramp thingy open.

Londonderry has a 'drop zone' where C-130 crews can practice deploying cargo out the rear of the aircraft with the cargo usually having parachutes to slow its decent.

Singapore C-130s are here anually doing low level, navigaton and air drop training as well as working with RAAF crews. Singapore AF aircraft are common sights at many RAAF bases during the year as they use our airspace for training.