PDA

View Full Version : FJ 747's off 16L

Sarah C
5th May 2008, 02:01 PM
Today the FJ 747 to Nadi took off on 16L (all other traffic is using 34L). I have seen it occur a couple of times - FJ is the only 747 that uses 16L for take offs on occasions.

Anyone know a reason for this? Apparently the flight has plenty of passengers - seems unusual that only FJ's 747's use this runway on occasions.

Bill S
5th May 2008, 02:03 PM
It's only about four hours from Sydney to Nadi, so they don't need a lot of fuel so the aeroplane doesn't weigh much, and so they can use the short runway.
Why they'd be different and use it specifically over the longer runway I have no idea though.

Tim Bowrey
5th May 2008, 02:04 PM
Iv seen FJL depart off RWY16L as i was going to the airport one day which was a bit odd.

When you saw it, did the 744 do the emidiate right turn after departing 34R as you see all the traffic do? Would have looked amazing seeing a jumbo do it.

Tim

Philip Argy
5th May 2008, 02:23 PM
Today the FJ 747 to Nadi took off on 16L (all other traffic is using 34L). [-snip-].

Did it really take off from 16L while other takeoffs/landings were using 34L? That's not a mode of concurrent operations I'd have thought possible.

Paul Hunter
5th May 2008, 02:39 PM
Philip,

It our number 1 noise abatement mode when traffic numbers and conditions permit. As long as there's no more than 5 kts downwind and no cloud below 3000 ft and vis greater than 10km we can use it.

Keeps most of the movements over water. Mode is called SODPROPS. (Simultaneous oposite direction parallel runway operations.)

Regards.

Nigel C
5th May 2008, 02:50 PM
I heard one of the ATC guys last week call it 'Soddy's':D

Sarah C
5th May 2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the explanation Bill. Seemed odd because there was not much traffic around - I could understand it if there was a line of of aircraft waiting but it was fairly quite.

In answer to Tim, it was rolling the entire way and as soon as it turned to line up, it started the take off. It would have been a sight for anyone at Shep's Mound! :p

It looked amazing from where I am sitting!

Bernie P
5th May 2008, 04:39 PM
It looked amazing from where I am sitting!

Hey Sarah,

Apart from the obvious answer... bottom ... :p where are you sitting to see this stuff all day??

Nigel C
5th May 2008, 06:00 PM
Here's another one...near a window.:p