PDA

View Full Version : Rex cuts services by 3pc

Ryan N
7th May 2008, 12:22 PM
Rex cuts services by 3pc in face of pilot shortage

May 7, 2008 - 11:31AM

Regional airline Rex has announced further cutbacks in its network, blaming a continuing pilot shortage.

The airline, Regional Express, will withdraw from the Cooma-Sydney route indefinitely, instead of recommencing flights there after a summer hiatus.

It also will reduce flights elsewhere in the network, the company said, together amounting to a three per cent cutback in services.

Rex General Manager, Network Strategy and Sales, Warrick Lodge said the airline had been counting on the major airlines reducing their pilot recruitment over winter.

"Unfortunately this was not to be and in the most recent month of April, Rex experienced five per cent attrition in our pilot ranks, with the attrition rate in this (financial year) tracking above 50 per cent," Mr Lodge said.

"The continued high attrition rate means that our flight schedules remain vulnerable to last minute sickness of the flight crew.

"We believe that the responsible course of action is to reduce the flight schedule, which will provide us with more reserve pilots and in turn will translate into a reduction of last minute flight cancellations."

Other changes in the Rex network include some flight reductions, particularly in lower demand weekend flights. Routes affected include Adelaide to Mount Gambier, Melbourne to Mount Gambier, Melbourne to Mildura, Melbourne to Albury and Sydney to Griffith.

"Overall, this will see a reduction in the planned flying activities of around three per cent," Mr Lodge said.

With Rex having recently taken control of the Australian Airline Pilot Academy, Rex said the academy had 39 cadets in training, with "everything ... on track for this first batch to graduate later in the year and commence their conversion training onto Rex's Saab 340 aircraft," the company said.

A further batch of 20 cadets is scheduled to enrol every three months.

"Once our cadets start to enter into service late this year, we believe that we will be in a much better position to be in control of our pilot strength and hopefully we could envisage a gradual resumption of our network expansion," said the airline's chief pilot and general manager of flight operations, Chris Hine.

Customers holding reservations for the Cooma service and other affected flights should contact the Rex Customer Contact Centre on 131713 for a full refund.

AAP

Paul C.
8th May 2008, 01:16 AM
I think Rex has too many planes, possibly one of the reasons for pilot shortage. The fleet reached as many as 40 but they've retired two aircraft, one for parts and the other for freight conversion. The fleet will continue to grow with the addition of the ex American eagle SAAB 340B's. The more planes you get, the more pilots you need.

Marty H
8th May 2008, 08:00 AM
I think Rex has too many planes, possibly one of the reasons for pilot shortage. The fleet reached as many as 40 but they've retired two aircraft, one for parts and the other for freight conversion. The fleet will continue to grow with the addition of the ex American eagle SAAB 340B's. The more planes you get, the more pilots you need.

They have also picked up alot of services especially in SA when O'connor Airlines went down, they pretty much have the regional market to themselves in SA.

Adam P.
8th May 2008, 08:17 AM
I think Rex has too many planes, possibly one of the reasons for pilot shortage.
Other way around. No pilots = too many aeroplanes.

Paul McFarlane
8th May 2008, 09:29 AM
They have also picked up alot of services especially in SA when O'connor Airlines went down, they pretty much have the regional market to themselves in SA.

Well in reality they added more services on the ADL-MGB route only after O'Connor pulled out of Melbourne to concentrate on Adelaide. Remarkable coincidence!!

And now that O'Connor has gone under (as an airline) the cancellation of Rex flights have risen considerably. (Another coincidence?) Now they are withdrawing the extra services that ended up suffocating O'Connor's.

I understand that there is a pilot shortage, but in Mt Gambier we now have only one unreliable air service which is very frustrating. Although, I admit, not as bad as destinations which now have no service at all.

Just my two cents (No offence David & Adam...:))

Bruce Bramwell
8th May 2008, 10:11 AM
They are replacing the old A & B models with B+ models........ thats why you see those 340A parked up in WGA!

Mind you - I know one of the leasing companies who was leased two models to REX - interesting lease rates I must say for those birds

Mick F
8th May 2008, 10:27 AM
Perhaps Rex might want to look at going back to the drawing board with their pilot salaries and the conditions.

I know it's been said many times before, and it is a touchy topic with some members of the board, but take a good long look at why pilots are leaving so quickly. And also why they may not be attracting as many as they once were.

Mick

Michael Morrison
8th May 2008, 10:45 AM
I counted about 6/7 parked over near the corporate parking in Sydney last weekend...

Adam P.
8th May 2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah Michael that's normal on a weekend. Weekend schedules are rather dramatically reduced from the weekday equivalents. In short, everything comes IN to Sydney on Friday night and goes OUT again Sunday afternoon, with not as much flying in between. Between the two peaks the biggest problem becomes where to park everything - a few times Saabs have been towed all the way to the pond area in the past due no spare bays and no space in the Eastern Park.

David M
8th May 2008, 01:25 PM
I understand that there is a pilot shortage, but in Mt Gambier we now have only one unreliable air service which is very frustrating. Although, I admit, not as bad as destinations which now have no service at all.

Just my two cents (No offence David & Adam...)

Paul,

No offence taken however, I don't think that you could call Rex unreliable. From my understanding the pilot shortage is affecting the entire world and not just Mount Gambier. Don't believe everything you read in the newspaper. :)
I for one have not had a single complaint regarding delays from any passengers flying to and from MGB.

David.M.

Paul McFarlane
8th May 2008, 02:53 PM
...the pilot shortage is affecting the entire world and not just Mount Gambier.

I agree.. and yes our local paper can be a little biased - but I would be curious to see the stats on flight cancellations for ADL/MGB versus ADL/PLO?

I know it does make economic sense (if the pilot pool is diminished) to cancel/reschedule flights with the lower yields.

Still - it's a tricky situation with no easy fix - True or not, newspapers still carry the stories - people believe the stories and they form they opinions around them - and Rex suffers because of it.

Lucky they have no competition on most of these routes! :p

David M
8th May 2008, 11:18 PM
Even with competition, the competition would most probably be in a similar situation. The pilots would just be spread out amongst the multiple airlines.

I wouldn't have a clue as for the stats of cancellations on those two routes. Maybe Adam might be able to shed some light. ;)

Let's just hope the pilot shortages lessen soon, for both parties concerned.

David.M.

Paul C.
8th May 2008, 11:37 PM
They are replacing the old A & B models with B+ models........ thats why you see those 340A parked up in WGA!

Mind you - I know one of the leasing companies who was leased two models to REX - interesting lease rates I must say for those birds

Of what I know, VH-OLN is stored at WGA for parts and VH-ZRX will be converted into a freighter. I've seen all of the Kendell 340A's running around, some have been fully refurbished and upgraded.

B+ models in the REX fleet.

VH-EKH cn 369
VH-ZLQ cn 370
VH-ZLA cn 371
VH-ZLC cn 373
VH-ZLF cn 374
VH-ZLG cn 375
VH-ZLH cn 376
VH-ZLJ cn 380
VH-ZLK cn 381
VH-ZRZ cn 388
VH-ZRB cn 389

After some research I found out that N386AE will be the next one delivered. It will probably use a VH-ZL* registration.

Adam P.
9th May 2008, 06:50 PM
After some research I found out that N386AE will be the next one delivered.

...which I'm told will be VH-ZLV. Running out of ZL regos!

Nigel C
9th May 2008, 07:36 PM
So then what are you gonna do? Huh?

Alex G
9th May 2008, 08:07 PM
Blame it on the pilots, Nigel! :(

Nigel C
9th May 2008, 09:37 PM
Or the bay allocations...;)

Adam P.
10th May 2008, 01:51 AM
So then what are you gonna do?
Get stuck into the ZR*s...

Huh?
I said,

GET STUCK INTO THE ZR*s!!!

Didn't you hear me the first time??

Nigel C
10th May 2008, 10:43 AM
:D

Paul C.
10th May 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm happy they're doing the VH-ZR* regos!

The rest of the VH-ZL* regos

340B 382 - VH-ZLO
340B 383 - VH-ZLS
340B 384 - VH-ZLU
340B 386 - VH-ZLV (Next one to be Delivered)
340B 387 - VH-ZLW

And there is also the exisiting ZLR, ZLX and ZLY

David M
11th May 2008, 10:12 PM
Still think they should buy VH-REX off the guy in WA!

Adam P.
11th May 2008, 10:30 PM
My favourite's still T-ReX...

Paul C.
12th May 2008, 01:25 PM
Still think they should buy VH-REX off the guy in WA!

I think they were trying to get VH-REX but I spose VH-RXE makes up for it! - its such a great rego.

But my favourite of them all, it is hard to go past VH-KDK. The first SF340 to Australia. Ever since it was delivered new in early 1985 it has been a true workhourse for the last 23 years or so. Thats 89% of my life. I also flew on this machine way back in 1992, Adelaide to Kingscote and that was my first ever flight, the sheepskin seat covers and the noise and vibration from the props was the highlight. This was refurbished in July 2006 with new paint, the addition of overhead lockers and new leather seats and various upgrades to the navigation system, electronics, etc.