PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Premium Economy

Garry Emanuel
25th July 2010, 03:18 PM
Have been reading much about the shift from First to Business and the advent of Premium Economy to "catch" the former Business traveller as they fall back but don't want "back-row seats".

The Qantas website provides plenty of detail on the Prem. Ec. offering and some really nice "glossies" of seats, facilities, food as well as comments on services.

To date though, I have not been successful in getting any substantive feedback on:-

The quality of the offering - is it really in between or is it really Economy with a "dedicated" cabin ?;
The main points of "real" difference between Premuim Economy and Economy - aside from price and location in the plane;
The track record of those that "pay" getting "what they paid for" - was the experience worth the investment ?; Is there sufficient room to have a sleep ? Is the space in the cabin really the way it is promoted ? Is the service better than Economy ?.

Would really appreciate objective feedback from those that have travelled SYD-SIN-LHR or SYD-JNB.

Thanks in advance.

Sarah C
25th July 2010, 04:33 PM
Well I can't answer the questions myself but all the comments I have heard are positive.

Probably one of the best answers is the trip reports people post, which have the detail and pictures of the food. Here are two which I thought were pretty good in detail:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/150758/

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/150487/

Kim F
25th July 2010, 04:58 PM
A work colleague who flies regularly o/s for work, J class had a family holiday in the US. He said he could never justify the expense of J for private use. However, when they were returning to Oz, they got an upgrade to Premium Economy. His next o/s holiday will be Premium econmomy, he thought it was good value!

BradR
25th July 2010, 05:02 PM
I have not flown QF Y+ but I did fly VA Y+ last November to LAX and it is a good product that fills a gap in the market that has been created as J gradually moved upmarket into the space once occupied by P.

Reports I have heard suggest QF's Y+ is as good as VA. The main advantage is the extra 6-7" legroom, the wider seats and the quieter cabin. I would imagine the quietness would be an even greater advantage on a A380 where Y+ is situated upstairs aways from Y class.

D Chan
25th July 2010, 07:37 PM
Qantas won the Skytrax category for the best premium economy in 2010

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/main/2010Awards.htm

Garry Emanuel
25th July 2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks to all - very valuable and informed feedback.

My plans to travel Prem. Ec. have been helpfully guided by the information shared.:):D.

That acknowledged, Business and/or First would be nice;).

Gareth U
25th July 2010, 09:13 PM
The meal service and seat space is comparable to domestic Business. It is well above the Economy offering.

Wines, including champagne, are Business wines. Pillow, blanket and headset are Business. Amenity kit is Economy. Toilets to be used are shared with Economy.

Crew are Economy FAs, dedicated to the W cabin for the sector (one will assist in Economy if required after the W service). Hope this helps.

Garry Emanuel
25th July 2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks Gareth.

All good detail.