PDA

View Full Version : Major Catastrophe - Not ! ! ! ! !

Garry Emanuel
25th July 2010, 05:43 PM
And so, the QF bashing continues:-

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/qantas-jets--deicing-gear-fails-20100725-10q74.html

How long will this cr%p go on for ? Not sure about the rest of the members, however, every "machine" I can think of has occasional issues. Is it just me or do the "issues" with QF seem more pronounced and regular than those reported for DJ and TT ?

Quite frankly, I am sick of hearing about the "issues" with QF from News and Fairfax. Do members of the public get a "spotters fee" for conjuring up cr%p ?

Can't wait for a passenger report - hysterical passengers, misguided crew, aged equipment (not !) and heaven only knows what else ! ! ! ! ! ! :mad:

I travel regularly. If I had to choose "who" in the event of an issue, it's a 'no-brainer' - some staff might look/seem "dowdy" but you put them in a situation, I have no doubt they (and their plane) will get you there.

Shame I don't feel the same level of surety in some of our less-reported, more highly reputed players ! ! ! !

Rick K
25th July 2010, 06:54 PM
...and that sort of stupid outburst is also just as much crap!
Every airline gets its share of stupid reporting so why are you so sensitive?

Rick K

Dan Hammond
25th July 2010, 07:07 PM
Just and FYI VXR was the aircraft in question.

VYF is the replacement aircraft.

Jack B
25th July 2010, 07:07 PM
although I'll admit these reports are rather annoying, there's only one sensible option: ignore them

The average person who reads these articles will have forgotten about it 2 pages latter.

Owen H
25th July 2010, 07:22 PM
Rick K,

If you think that every airline gets a "fair share" of these crap stories, you are very much mistaken.

Qantas gets FAR more of these stories published. The reason is pretty simple... putting Qantas in the title sells more newspapers/gets more hits.

Nigel C
25th July 2010, 07:47 PM
Hmm...the first I knew of it was when I read about it on news.com.au:rolleyes:

Such an newsworthy event.

Rick K
25th July 2010, 07:57 PM
Rick K,

If you think that every airline gets a "fair share" of these crap stories, you are very much mistaken.

Qantas gets FAR more of these stories published. The reason is pretty simple... putting Qantas in the title sells more newspapers/gets more hits.

I would love to see your statistics for this rediculous assertation!
Every airline gets the same "crap" reporting.
It's just that many people seem to have to justify why "their" pet airline should be criticised

Rick K!

Grant Smith
25th July 2010, 08:13 PM
...and that sort of stupid outburst is also just as much crap!

:D

Garry Emanuel
25th July 2010, 09:08 PM
First, it's an assertion as opposed to an assertation:eek:.

Second, NO, I believe not every airline is the recipient of a "fair share" - happy to be corrected on that with grounded data (perhaps Rick K has some figures to support the assertion !), however, I know from first-hand experience, DJ "incidents" have not been sensationalised, nor even reported in the same manner as QF and TT:mad:.

Third, get a grip - I travel with all bar TT and detest the assertion I am biased. Reality of it all - there is an inclination to sensationalise and nothing will change that :p!

Finally, not an outburst, rather an expression of my PoV, which as I understood was the purpose of such boards:p.

Owen H
25th July 2010, 09:59 PM
Edit - Futile.

Nigel C
26th July 2010, 05:32 AM
Having witnessed numerous 'incidents' involving most airlines at my workplace, I can honestly say that Qantas does seem to get more than a fair workout by the local media compared to the others.
But that's certainly not to say Qantas has more incidents than the others...they just seem to get reported by the media more often.

Garry Emanuel
26th July 2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks Nigel.

That was my point in the initial post - not suggesting they are incident-free, just that the most trivial of matters seems to find early pages for QF and similar incidents with other carriers go unreported and/or given limited credence - page 31 versus page 1 ! ! ! !

NeilP
26th July 2010, 08:30 AM
[Quite frankly, I am sick of hearing about the "issues" with QF from News and Fairfax.]

Then what are you doing on the website?

Bashing? Hardly. Simply reporting an incident...

Andrew M
26th July 2010, 09:13 PM
Same plane again!!

http://avherald.com/h?article=42ecf67d&opt=0

Scotty B
27th July 2010, 08:17 AM
[Quite frankly, I am sick of hearing about the "issues" with QF from News and Fairfax.]

Then what are you doing on the website?

Bashing? Hardly. Simply reporting an incident...

You're missing the point. It's not simply reporting an incident. It's SELECTIVELY reporting an incident.

Qantas incident - newsworthy for a host of ulterior motives.
Virgin, Tiger, Singapore, Emirates etc... - not deemed newsworthy.

Rick K - every Airline does not get the same reporting. How quickly did the EK Melbourne incident get swept under the carpet? Yet the QF 330 WA incident still gets referenced. Talk to someone not involved in aviation and they know of the 'Qantas Airbus Accident*.' Same person won't have a clue about the EK incident. Which incident was more reflective on the safety culture of the Airline....?? Isn't that what the press should be bringing to the attention of the unknowledgeable travelling public?
Fair and the same reporting ? - to suggest such is precisely why the press can and does get away with this type of rubbish.

* Yes, I am aware of the IATA definition of incident and accident, but due to the sub-standard reporting of the Australian Press this is how the average person refers to it.

NeilP
27th July 2010, 08:28 AM
Well if you lived in Dubai, you'd probably have heard more of the EK incident, and nothing of the QF.

Same reason you hear plenty about the NRL in the Australian news, but bugger all about English Super League.

And all commercial news is selective.

Scotty B
27th July 2010, 12:22 PM
Neil,

I am tipping you have never been to Dubai if you honestly believe that naive statement. It had less 'Press' than in Australia, if that was possible!

The incident happened in AUSTRALIA, yet passed very quickly. QF don't fly to Dubai, so Duh!

NRL is played in AUSTRALIA, ENGLISH Super League isn't. Duh again?

Let's argue apples with apples shall we?

NeilP
27th July 2010, 01:21 PM
And you reckon I'm missing the point?

Yeah NRL is played in AUSTRALIA! And Qantas is an AUSTRALIAN airline! So the AUSTRALIAN press is writing articles about AUSTRALIAN airlines. And people have a problem with that!

And people are sick of the AUSTRALIAN press doing that, yet they read the article anyway...

You're right I've never been to Dubai, but that doesn't make me the naive one here... Duh?

Scotty B
27th July 2010, 01:40 PM
And EK fly IN Australia with Australians onboard and have an incident at an AUSTRALIAN Airport. Newsworthy? Apparently not by your criteria because they aren't an Australian airline. But NRL is played in Australia so is newsworthy. That is an incongruent argument.

Qantas don't fly in the UAE so won't make their 'press'.
English Super League isn't played IN Australia so won't feature heavily in the press.

As is obviously impossible to prove to some, a certain airline is targeted, while others fly blissfully under the radar.
ps if you had been to Dubai you would realise that some places protect their carrier, while other countries attack it...

Nigel C
27th July 2010, 02:36 PM
Just in time to try balancing this argument out, there are stories of the other airlines out there. This one got published today...
http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?p=48866#post48866

Laurent Sanhard
27th July 2010, 03:34 PM
I lived in the Uk for two years , and I can tell you that you don't hear about every flight that had to return to Heathrow due to tech issues , the only reason that you hear about these stories downunder is that they are having a SLOW newsday:confused:

NeilP
27th July 2010, 03:48 PM
Qantas don't fly in the UAE so won't make their 'press'.
English Super League isn't played IN Australia so won't feature heavily in the press.

Then by your logic, Emirati don't fly with Qantas?

As is obviously impossible to prove to some, a certain airline is targeted, while others fly blissfully under the radar.
ps if you had been to Dubai you would realise that some places protect their carrier, while other countries attack it...

Why would the Australian press "target" the flag carrier? Could it be that the Australian public, both international and, in the case of the article, domestic are more likely to fly Qantas than Emirates? And, in their misguided COMMERCIAL (they want to SELL their papers and advertise on their websites) endeavours, they believe the Australian public would prefer to hear about an Australian airline?

The answer is simple, and was intimated in my first reply, don't read the article...

Grant Smith
27th July 2010, 04:25 PM
Now where's that 'ignore thread' feature when you need it?

:rolleyes:

David Knudsen
27th July 2010, 04:42 PM
I agree. Closed.