PDA

View Full Version : Aerolineas Argentinas planning direct flights

Stefan Perkas
1st September 2010, 07:55 PM
Evening all,

Found this on http://www.travelweekly.com.au/dirplus/images/travelweekly/TravelTodayPDF/1_09_2010.pdf

They are planning direct flights with A340-600's.

Argentine flag carrier Aerolineas Argentinas is planning direct non-stop services from Sydney to Buenos Aires as it insisted it was winning the battle to restore confidence in the airline.
The carrier is preparing to operate the non-stop services with Airbus A340-600s, with flights expected to start early next year.
A three-class configuration is being considered - business, premium economy and economy.
Aerolineas Argentinas currently offers four weekly flights via Auckland, using 15-year-old A340-200s. Approval is currently being sought from the Australian Government although it is regarded almost as a formality.
Aerolineas regional manager Oscar Cilli admitted to Travel Today last night the airline has endured a difficult period over the past three years amid a dismal financial performance, with its on time figures also plummeting.

Only one in five flights departed on time in 2008, a dire showing which has since improved to around 80% to 85%, he said. The state-owned carrier was targeting a breakeven performance in 2012 before moving into modest profit in 2013. Despite the difficulties, Cilli insisted the airline has never stopped supporting agents, and was continuing to pay 13% commission to retailers and 15% to consolidators. Rates of 25% are being offered on sales of business class tickets during August and September, he added.

Cilli was frank in his assessment of how to retain business. “It has been difficult but we are recovering,” he said. “Our on time performance, which was very poor, has improved considerably and we have restored confidence. We offer the lowest fares to Buenos Aires in the market and pay the highest commission and this is the way to keep people with us.”

matthew mcdonald
1st September 2010, 08:02 PM
WOW. Cant wait for this to happen. However, does anybody know where AR will get these A346'S from as Airbus have stopped making A340's altogether. My guess is maybe Iberia?

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Mak
1st September 2010, 09:55 PM
Airbus has not stopped the production of the A340-600. If an airline orders it, it can still be made.

matthew mcdonald
1st September 2010, 10:04 PM
Oh, ok then happy to be corrected. Thnks for the info Michael.

Oliver Gigacz
1st September 2010, 11:39 PM
All A346s have been delivered, there are a still A345s on order.

Brian Wilkes
2nd September 2010, 12:12 AM
No i dont think so!
None have delivered.

Oliver Gigacz
2nd September 2010, 12:22 AM
Yes, there are a still private customer A345s to be delivered.

Brian Wilkes
2nd September 2010, 12:27 AM
No I thought you mean to Aerolineas.

Phil M
2nd September 2010, 09:10 AM
The only question is:could it be possible for the A436 to go slower than their A343? :D

Torin Wilson
3rd September 2010, 05:00 AM
We offer the lowest fares to Buenos Aires in the market and pay the highest commission and this is the way to keep people with us.”

Doesn't exactly sound like the best way to make a profit.

Justin L
3rd September 2010, 07:23 AM
Will this spell the end of EZE-AKL flights, or will they keep some stand alone EZE-AKL sectors or continue some EZE-AKL-SYD, or even EZE-AKL-MEL etc. in addition to non-stops?

Mike W
5th September 2010, 08:05 AM
WOW. Cant wait for this to happen. However, does anybody know where AR will get these A346'S from as Airbus have stopped making A340's altogether. My guess is maybe Iberia?

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe Qatar. Didn't Al Baker say he wished he could through his 340-600s away?

Richard H.
8th September 2010, 05:52 PM
Interesting.
However, if they intend to operate direct with A346 equipment I wonder why they haven't trialled it with their A342s?
Best GC distance is 11,789km (6366nm) passing somewhat South of NZ and skirting Antarctica. Even an early A340-211 should be able to make at least 13,800km (7450nm) with the 32J/217Y seat setup the AR birds have.
What am I missing?

On a related note, I do hope they pick up their service a bit. They are a national carrier after all.
My partner and I flew on AR1183 (A342 SYD-AKL) in April and were unfortunate enough to experience AR's variable punctuality, the flight leaving SYD some 150 minutes late. The small refreshment that was supplied was also something of a surprise as I assumed the sector would have a proper lunch service even though it was only a 3 hour hop.
It definitely didn't compare well to the return leg flown on an EK A380. The EK flight was also actually cheaper by about 10% and my partner made her feelings about flying EK over AR next time quite clear to me, but I digress...
The things we do to get on unusual metal... :D

John C
9th September 2010, 06:50 AM
I have been on AR between Australia and Sao Paulo (brazil) via Buenos Aires, and I can say with a very high level of confidence that Aerolineas is just rubbish.

The aeroplanes are very basic in terms of ife, the machines are old, the service is rubbish Though some crew do deliver a terrific service, and it is just a terrible experience.

I have gone with Lan via Santiago and that is terrific. The contrast is like chalk and cheese.

Stefan Perkas
6th May 2011, 03:34 PM
Afternoon all,

Sorry to drag this topic back up, but there was an interesting article about this subject in todays edition of Travel Today.

Plans to operate non-stop services from Sydney to Buenos Aires have put on hold by Aerolineas Argentinas, with no launch date in sight.

While the carrier last year announced intentions to begin direct service by early 2011, (Travel Today, September 1) regional manager Oscar Cilli told Travel Today the plan has beendelayed.

With Aerolineas’ current fleet of 15-year old A340-200s required to operate via Auckland, Cilli said plans for the non-stop service hinges on decisions from head office.

“We need to rebuild our international fleet to make this happen,” he said. “But until head office decide which fleet we use for the long range network, we can't enable this plan.” Still certain the plan will go ahead, Cilli was unable to reveal further details, saying he had “no idea” when the non-stop service will kick off.

He added that non-stop flights were the “only option” for Aerolineas to gain a more
competitive edge in the market. “We are still working on theidea, but it is not easy for us to say when,” he said. “That is up to head office, and until they make a decision, it is hard for us to give any more information.”

Following a dismal financial performance and poor on time figures in previous years, Cilli
stressed the delay did not suggest that the company was doing it tough. “The performance in our companies is getting better,” he said, revealing that revenue from its Australian operation in January and February was 27% ahead of last year. “We have just updated all of our short-haul aircraft and are now more confident that we are doing well in the market,” he said.

The article doesn't state what aircraft they would use for this service, so it is going to be interesting what they would use, if the direct flights do start.

Bernie P
1st September 2011, 09:56 AM
Sorry again to drag this topic back up, but...

Last week when we were in Hong Kong, we saw the new scheme on the ex Cathay A343 (B-HXN). I have done some digging around on Facbook, and I am told that this bird is waiting for a new interior to be fitted as well, thus the delay in delivery to Aerolineas. I also asked the question as to the non-stop flights, and was told that it is still scheduled for this summer, pending approval... We may see this come to Sydney replacing the A342's though!

Personally, I like the new scheme, but one aspect I dislike is at door 2 where around the door (seal) is a wide silver part which takes away from it...

now, apologies for the pic, its shot through windows within the terminal, and the haze was terrible, but I thought I would share it all the same...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6194/6084914882_0d181b4d6c_b.jpg

Peter Agatsiotis
1st September 2011, 11:11 AM
Great pic (considering conditions) Bernie and a nice scheme.

Sarah C
1st September 2011, 05:40 PM
Agree with Bernie about door 2 - that does ruin the name and stands out on an otherwise good looking livery.

Mike W
3rd September 2011, 07:51 AM
A million times better than the current (really boring) livery IMO.

Nice work AR

Nigel C
3rd September 2011, 04:45 PM
New aircraft and new livery probably won't help their seemingly woeful on-time performance.

Lee G
3rd September 2011, 08:27 PM
True Nigel ... but that just means that we get to take photos of their aircraft when the light is better ... ;)

Stefan Perkas
14th December 2011, 06:08 PM
Evening all,

It appears a swap from an A340-200 to a -300 series as well as a change in days of operation. They have a few new A340-300's which feature the airlines newest colour scheme.

Aerolineas Argentinas from 01JAN12 is changing operational days on its 3 weekly Buenos Aires – Auckland – Sydney service. From this date, operational day changes from Day 136 to Day 135 from EZE; from Day 247 to Day 246 from New Zealand/Australia.

Airbus A340-300 operates this route with following schedule:

AR1182 EZE0245 – 0825+1AKL0955+1 – 1145+1SYD 340 135
AR1183 SYD1315 – 1830AKL2000 – 1550EZE 340 246

info from: http://airlineroute.net/2011/12/13/ar-aklsyd-jan12/

Brian Wilkes
18th January 2012, 09:43 PM
Has AR started there A343's in and out of Sydney as yet?
There where supposed to be changing over as of JAN 1st?

Andrew Coggan
18th January 2012, 09:45 PM
Still using A342's Brian.

Brian Wilkes
18th January 2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks any one know of when the change will be or wont be?