PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS 450D

Mick F
9th May 2008, 02:00 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any personal opinions on the above camera.

I'm using an old Canon EOS 300D and think it may be time to update, but need to be convinced that a new one will provide me with that bit more and be worth the cost.

Have done a bit of searching around on the net about it, but personal opinions are always good.

Cheers

Mick

Seth Jaworski
9th May 2008, 02:17 PM
I haven't used the 450D, but had the 400D for a month or so. I didn't like it at all as it is very small and cramped to use (even with my average-sized hands), and it has a cheap plastic feel about it. I switched to the 40D and would definitely recommend it.

Raymond Rowe
9th May 2008, 02:32 PM
I haven't used the 450D, but had the 400D for a month or so. I didn't like it at all as it is very small and cramped to use (even with my average-sized hands), and it has a cheap plastic feel about it. I switched to the 40D and would definitely recommend it.

agree with what Seth said about the 400D. Never owned one but have felt them inside the shops.I also have the 40D with the grip and it feels much better.

Mick F
10th May 2008, 12:29 AM
Will my 300D lenses fit a 40D?

That's going to be one of the main selling points.

Craig Murray
10th May 2008, 07:36 AM
Hey Mick F youbetchadupa you're 300D glass will fit straight onto the 40D!

Do it, you honestly won't regret it. A 40D will set you back around $1300 or so. Photo Continental here in Brisbane have them in stock..... I checked last week ;-)

Raymond Rowe
10th May 2008, 07:36 AM
Will my 300D lenses fit a 40D?

That's going to be one of the main selling points.

Yes they will.The only thing they will not work with is a Film camera as these have a different version.Lenses are either EF which will work with either but ES lenses only work witth Digitals.

Mick M
10th May 2008, 09:16 AM
Craig,
what can you tell me about Pentax? Are they the Ducks guts or not ? I see you guys have a strong preference for Canon or Nikon, but there's a place in town that can do me good package deal. Any thoughts ? Apparently Canon still have a lens issue as some of you shots seem to indicate an lens quality problem as I'm sure that a reasonable proportion of them seem to be out of focus.

Chris Griffiths
10th May 2008, 09:47 AM
Yes they will.The only thing they will not work with is a Film camera as these have a different version.Lenses are either EF which will work with either but ES lenses only work witth Digitals.

To expand slightly on Ray's note.

The Canon EF auto-focus lenses may be used on all Canon EOS SLR cameras, both film and digital.

Canon EF-S lenses may only be used on those Canon EOS digital SLR cameras(most not all) that use the APS-C sized sensor. At this time these are the 20/30/40D and the 300/350/400/450D.

Cheers

Mick F
10th May 2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks Craigo and Chris.

Did some investimigation into the 40D and it would appear to be better suited to my needs anyway, as it also takes the CF flash cards, unlike the 450D which is using some new type that would render my current flash cards useless.

So 40D it is.

Mick M, I hear Pentamax are the bomb, and you should be able to pick yourself up a good deal for cheaps from Parramatta.

Any further opinions and user experiences (of the 40D, not the Pentamax) would be more than welcomed.

Mick

Nigel C
10th May 2008, 01:25 PM
Well now that you've bought one, your review would be nice!

Mick F
10th May 2008, 01:51 PM
Will let you know in a week when it arrives in the post Nigel, :D.

Just picked up a Canon EOS 40D body for $1,300 delivered to my door. :)

Mick

Raymond Rowe
10th May 2008, 07:24 PM
To expand slightly on Ray's note.

The Canon EF auto-focus lenses may be used on all Canon EOS SLR cameras, both film and digital.

Canon EF-S lenses may only be used on those Canon EOS digital SLR cameras(most not all) that use the APS-C sized sensor. At this time these are the 20/30/40D and the 300/350/400/450D.

Cheers

Thanks chris i knew it was one way or the other.I have to be careful when i buy lenses due to having a slide camera.

Nigel C
14th May 2008, 06:02 PM
So how's the new camera Mick?

Mick F
14th May 2008, 06:11 PM
Simply uber, :)

Adam P.
14th May 2008, 06:15 PM
He might even work out how to turn it on if he reads the manual for long enough! :D

Nigel C
14th May 2008, 08:27 PM
Blokes don't read manuals...

Mick F
27th May 2008, 10:53 PM
Anyone else with a 40D had any problems with an Error 06 re-occurring? It's to do with the automatic sensor cleaning.

I've had it a few times since brand new, and after a google search I see it's been a common problem with the 40D.

Returning the camera back to Canon, but makes me wonder if I really should have purchased a Pentamaxama instead?

Cheers

Mick

Grant Smith
28th May 2008, 12:02 AM
Returning the camera back to Canon, but makes me wonder if I really should have purchased a Pentamaxama instead?

Ahhh Mick I told you, you should have taken advice from the blokes at Parramatta...

You will rue the day you didn't heed their bountiful wisdom!

NickN
28th May 2008, 03:40 PM
You definately should have bought the Pentax, I just got the K20D and it really is magic. Although this forum has a strong Canon/Nikon following to Pentax doesn't really get much of a mention around here.

Mick F
28th May 2008, 04:41 PM
Nick, I think there's about as much chance of me buying a Pentolta, as there is you understanding camera's enough to know why Canon and Nikon are the leaders in digital SLR camera's. We'll see what you think of that Pentolta after using it for a while and comparing it to Canon and Nikon's, ;).

Mick

Raymond Rowe
28th May 2008, 08:37 PM
Mick check the canon web site and upgrade the software.New one to me.

Grant Smith
28th May 2008, 09:08 PM
Although this forum has a strong Canon/Nikon following to Pentax doesn't really get much of a mention around here.

There's probably a reason for the lack of pentakonanonolamax talk on this forum...

Mick F
28th May 2008, 11:36 PM
Ray the Canon Tech Support rep told me to send it straight back to Canon.

It seems to be a batch of them that are having this problem after some reading on the net and talking to a few friends.

Mick

NickN
29th May 2008, 12:07 PM
Maybe they are the leaders, for the simple fact everyone buys Canon/Nikon because someone else told them they were the best. Unfortunately I would rather make up my own mind than be one of the flock who mindlessly take anothers word for something and buy it based on referral.

Compare the 450D to the K20D and you will find the K20D feels much more rugged and solid and is extremely well featured. Admittedly Pentax are a long way short of Canon in the lens department however Pentax are starting to release some great lenses.

Canon does also admittedly make fantastic high end digital SLR cameras however in the low-medium price range of Sub $2,000 models I don't think they necessarily have it in the bag on quality.

Mick F
29th May 2008, 12:18 PM
Nick I have used various Canon DSLR's (EOS D30, 1D, 1D Mk II, 300D, 350D, 5D and now the 40D). Only ever owned the 300D and the 40D, however have used the others in various applications, from professional photography, to simply playing around experimenting and testing some of the other camera's owned by friends of mine, and my own use with the 300D and 40D.

How you could say they don't have the whole range covered with quality products is beyond me. And how you could say that I'm simply following the crowd by buying a Canon, after pretty extensive experience with Canon products prior to even buying my first DSLR, is also beyond me.

When Pentolta can come out with high quality camera's and lenses similar to the Nikon and Canon range, then we'll listen. But until then, you've bought an overpriced second rate product, :cool:.

Mick

Adam P.
29th May 2008, 12:50 PM
Admittedly Pentax are a long way short of Canon in the lens department

Bingo.

It's all about the glass.

Nigel C
29th May 2008, 12:55 PM
Agreed.

Canons 'consumer' lenses are probably in line with the Penthanimaxolta's so-called 'professional' range, whereas the 'L' series from Canon are in a class of their own.

Grant Smith
29th May 2008, 11:49 PM
Canon does also admittedly make fantastic high end digital SLR cameras however in the low-medium price range of Sub $2,000 models I don't think they necessarily have it in the bag on quality.

Hmmm interesting you come to this conclusion Nick... The Canon 450D comes in well under the $2000 bracket complete with lens kit ("http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102/displayproduct/2140295__.html) and you can even pick up the 40D under the $2000 bracket ("http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102/displayproduct/2140295__.html). Granted the 40D did not start at this price it is however relatively comparable considering the time you bought the pentakonanonolamaxipad K20D...

And having looked at the lense range of the said maxipad it just isn't there...

Rhys Xanthis
30th May 2008, 12:55 AM
whereas the 'L' series from Canon are in a class of their own.

looking at buying a big *** one of these at the end of the year:D

NickN
30th May 2008, 11:01 AM
In my opinion the 450D is inferior in build quality to the K20D.

And as for the Canon L series lenses, yes they are good, but the Pentax DA* series are also fantastic as well and comparible in quality to the L series.

Perhaps in the past Canon/Nikon had the market almost all to themselves but these days the list of competitors ready to bring out quality models is growing.

The K20D body would trump the 450D in my opinion but as I said, just need Pentax to hurry up with their lens releases.

Daniel G
30th May 2008, 11:25 AM
Pentax

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/pentaxk10d_samples/

vs

Canon

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canonsd450_samples/

Daniel M
30th May 2008, 11:47 AM
In my opinion the 450D is inferior in build quality to the K20D.

And as for the Canon L series lenses, yes they are good, but the Pentax DA* series are also fantastic as well and comparible in quality to the L series.

Perhaps in the past Canon/Nikon had the market almost all to themselves but these days the list of competitors ready to bring out quality models is growing.

The K20D body would trump the 450D in my opinion but as I said, just need Pentax to hurry up with their lens releases.

hahaha buddy I don't know who you think your trying to kid here...honestly...if these Pentax's were half as good as you said they were, don't you think the market would have realised this a while ago, and most of the professionals would have switched over? Come on, honestly...give it up...you've bought a second rate camera....stop trying to compare a Datsun to a Ferrari...

Bernie P
30th May 2008, 11:48 AM
....stop trying to compare a Datsun to a Ferrari...

Boeing to an Airbus maybe?? :p :o :p

Nigel C
30th May 2008, 03:40 PM
Pentax

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/pentaxk10d_samples/

vs

Canon

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canonsd450_samples/

It's like comparing garbage collectors to doctors.

Shameel Kumar
30th May 2008, 06:02 PM
How about comparing the Canon 450D and the Sony Alpha350?

Please spare the usual overwhelming Canon bias, just rational pro's and con's please.

Mario Facchini
1st June 2008, 08:35 PM
i just purchased my Canon 450D yesterday.

haven't used it for Aviation Photography yet, but at the moment, for the night photography and muck around shots i have taken just to get a handle on it, i am IMPRESSED !

it has definatly made the change from film to digital Very easy.

The 450D is a weighty unit with out being too heavy and has a good size unlike the 400D which is too small and light for my liking.

3 inch screen in fantastic nice and big and bright, live the fact that it shows all settings on the big screen, or you can op to have a live image.

Shutter speeds from 30min to 1/4000. Fantastic Quality from ISO 100 to 1600 (with very little noise at ISO 1600).

So far i am VERY happy with the 450D, definatly a great camera for the switch from Film to Digital !

NickN
2nd June 2008, 03:04 PM
For some of you who doubt the quality of pentax, here is the opinion of a person who has used both and his thoughts....

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/28681-pixel-peeping-syndrom.html

Daniel M
2nd June 2008, 03:09 PM
*groan* posted on a pentax forum? give me a break...thats like one of us saying "if you doubt the quality of the Canon Nick, read this thread on the Canon forum..."...give it up

Nigel C
2nd June 2008, 03:24 PM
What he said!:p

I think this thread has over cycled its clicks....
There's plenty of material to form your own opinions - mod