PDA

View Full Version : Qantas & Oprah team up

Montague S
14th September 2010, 10:26 PM
our good friends at Harpo Studio' will be using the services of Qantas to fly the entire audience and Oprah to Australia this December, will be the last show she does.

http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn/au/publicaffairs/details?ArticleID=2010/sep10/5017

Philip Argy
15th September 2010, 11:18 AM
Could an A380 do non-stop Chicago to Sydney? It would double the great publicity.

Gerald A
15th September 2010, 04:07 PM
Philip

I would say NO

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=ORD-SYD%0D%0A&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=red&PATH-UNITS=km&PATH-MINIMUM=&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=navy&MAP-STYLE=

http://widebodyaircraft.nl/a380tech.htm

David F
15th September 2010, 10:27 PM
They're not really going to let JT fly the plane are they?

Grant Smith
16th September 2010, 12:32 AM
Word is he and his wife are expecting a new addition and as such he wont be flying the plane..

Adrian B
16th September 2010, 12:02 PM
They're not really going to let JT fly the plane are they?

I wouldnt think he is certified to fly the A380 anyway. Is he 74 certified?

Martin Buzzell
16th September 2010, 01:12 PM
I think he's FO certified on the 744. Wasn't that part of the deal to have his 707 in QF colours?

Stuart Trevena
16th September 2010, 11:52 PM
Hi All,

I believe JT is a Captain on 747's.

He was certified Captain a few years ago after undergoing trainning.

Stuart

Andrew P
18th September 2010, 01:38 PM
do you really expect QF will allow Travolta to fly one of their planes, full of passengers, I expect not

he may be on-board, but not in the cockpit

there is no-way a film crew could enter the cockpit, while in the air? there goes the photo op.

ps. wonder if QF will provide apple strudel and have the Viennese boys choir on board, as that is what most of Oprah audience would expect

Jason H
18th September 2010, 04:39 PM
I thought JT only held a Private Licence anyway?

Gary B
18th September 2010, 05:50 PM
To fly in command (of an Australian registered Jet Airline) Mr Travolta would require an Australian ATPL which I understand he does not have. End of story.

David F
18th September 2010, 07:18 PM
I thought JT only held a Private Licence anyway?I have heard this also. I thought it was common knowledge? That is kinda why I question whether he will genuinely "fly" (whatever that means) these Oprah fans here. He might sit in the cockpit, make announcements and wear a captain's uniform but that will be it. Or so I heard.

John Thoroughgood
19th September 2010, 02:54 PM
There was a mention on one of the free to air TV news, and I have read somewhere, that Mr Travolta was not available to take part in the tour at all, due to the impending birth of his latest child happening about the same time.

My curiousity is whether Qantas will add a special promo logo to whichever aircraft they use. Never a better opportunity than this one!

Adam.S
19th September 2010, 10:17 PM
I thought they were going to cram the 300+ audience & crew into JT's 707 so he could fly them here.

Do you think Oprah would mind sitting in coach for 18 hours??
;)

I wonder if the timing of Qantas' 7th (or 8th by then) A380 will play a part.
Perhaps one of its first flights with that "new plane smell".

Raymond Rowe
19th September 2010, 10:27 PM
Do you think Oprah would mind sitting in coach for 18 hours??
;)

As if that is going to happen