PDA

View Full Version : VA Sydney Airport Staffing

Justin L
3rd October 2010, 02:58 AM
My mother arrived in the US last night via a VA codeshare DJ flight from ADL-SYD followed by VA1 to LAX, then a Southwest connection to LAS.

It was her first time flying internationally alone for over 10 years and she was nervous, but told me of her disappointment of the "disorganisation" of DJ/VA airport staff. Below is a brief recount of her transit.

ADL (Oct-1)
Arrived early at airport so no problems checking in. She was told to collect her SYD-LAX boarding pass at the transfer desk at SYD T2.

SYD (Oct-1)
Upon arrival at T2 she went to the transfer desk and was confronted by a long queue and it was then announced by VA staff that they were understaffed and that the international terminal bus was leaving so told passengers they could board and check in at T1.

My mother caught the bus as she would prefer to be in the correct terminal and was then confronted with long, slow lines at T1 for VA check-in. When she got to the front desk, she was also told they were understaffed there to, hence the delays.
(And the queues of SYD originating pax would be compounded by domestic connecting pax now lining up in the queue at T1)

When they went to give her her boarding pass, they realised that ADL airport staff had not given her her baggage stickers, so after 15 minutes of deliberation and checking it was cleared up and she could go through to departures.

Although having 3.5 hours transit in Sydney, she ended up having no time in T1 airside beyond going straight to her gate.

---

My question is this -

The VA flight was apparently full (or near full) as was the DJ/VA codeshare domestic connection (which of course also would have had non-VA connecting passengers). Without looking at the schedules, I am assuming that other domestic DJ/VA connecting flights would also arrive around the same time to connect to VA1, so the post-5pm arrivals would be the peak for VA connections at T2.

Why would they be understaffed on this day? Was the computer glitch a factor? I was excited to have my mother come here on VA (as it is one of the best airline experiences I have had) so was disappointed to hear "Sydney airport was a stuff up" when I greeted her at the airport here when she arrived.

This is not an attack on VA, I'm just curious whether the above is a true recollection of the day, and how such a situation could occur.

She goes back to ADL via MEL on VA, so it will be interesting to see how that compares.

D Chan
3rd October 2010, 08:05 PM
Although having 3.5 hours transit in Sydney, she ended up having no time in T1 airside beyond going straight to her gate.

The good (and most important) thing is that she didn't miss her flight!

Why would they be understaffed on this day? I'm just curious whether the above is a true recollection of the day, and how such a situation could occur.

Last Friday would have been a pretty busy day given it was school holidays and the volume of pax would have been quite big. I suspect this was across the board and not just a DJ/VA issue. It might also have been the case that the flights were oversold

Skip Fulton
4th October 2010, 09:11 PM
This is not an attack on VA, I'm just curious whether the above is a true recollection of the day, and how such a situation could occur.

G'day Justin,
Check-in opens at minus 3 hours so assuming it took your mum say 30-45 minutes to get across to the international terminal, it is understandable she would have walked into a long queue at check-in. A connection time of 3.5 hours is actually pretty generous. Most connections are around 2 hours.

The lack of adequate staff is disappointing. The same team service domestic-international transfer, check-in and the boarding gate. So a shortage would affect all of these. I'd like to think the staff shortage wasn't expected, and it is certainly hard to find staff at the last minute if there is multiple staff that call in sick etc.

The baggage tags is a big issue and again disappointing your mum didn't receive the stickers on a travel wallet/envelope. As your mum was connecting, her bags would have been transferred from domestic straight to the baggage system at the international terminal. As such, the code on the bag tag must be entered into the reservations system to match the guest to their bags. Without that match, the bag(s) would have been rejected and not traveled on the flight. So whilst annoying and time consuming, I am glad the staff took their time to ensure the bags got on the flight.

The above is not an excuse, more an explanation. Hopefully V Australia can do better on your mum's return flight LAX-MEL.