PDA

View Full Version : Airport terminal jobs

David O.
25th October 2010, 08:01 PM
I'm going through my HSC right now and am looking to apply for jobs straight after. I am interested in the airline industry, and maybe becoming a pilot one day, if my engineering degree doesn't work out for me.

Anyway, are there ways to get jobs in the terminal like people who do check-in and that sort of stuff? I was always really interested watching shows like Airport, Airline and Going Places.

Would I be too young for a job like this?
How do I go about applying? (not really fussed which airline)
Is it hard to get into?

Thanks

Jack B
25th October 2010, 09:27 PM
I believe all jobs such as this require a certain level of previous experience in a face-to-face customer service role - which could be anything from waiting tables, working in a shop - things like that.

I would assume they would have reasonably high standards, but (others feel free to correct me) I don't think it would be as "hard" to get into as Cabin Crew.

I think it is important to remember it's not an "easy" job. You'd have to deal with A LOT of very stressed passengers, which is not always pretty I'm sure.

My advice, however, is give it a try!

D Chan
25th October 2010, 09:39 PM
having some sort of aviation / airline knowledge definitely helps, as does any customer service experience. If you know enough about airlines e.g. what airline operates in and out of SYD I think you would be better than 50% of the candidates. If you're eager to work at the airport I don't think it wouldnt be too hard for you to get in.

not all passengers are unruly - most (around 80% of people) are genuinely understanding people (60% of those are lost at the airport). The other 20% are jerks or are just plain miserable (e.g. blaming prior bad experiences on you etc.) having said that these are usually just one-off interactions.. unlike cabin crew who have to deal with these people until they get off the aircraft.

The good thing about working at the airport is that it feels like you're flying everyday and everyday is unique. Also there's usually a lot to see at the airport.

As for applying just try Tolldnata or Menzies etc. sometimes they post job ads out.

David O.
28th October 2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Do the airlines outsource their cargo/ramp/customer service to both these companies completely?

Adam P.
29th October 2010, 12:38 PM
Not completely, some do their own ground handling. You see occasional Rex job ads coming out, for example (check their website).

Kent Broadhead
29th October 2010, 01:48 PM
Aerocare is the other ramp/cargo company