PDA

View Full Version : First Qantas A380 In Service By October

Ben O
12th May 2008, 08:50 AM
http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,23682841-14334,00.html

Qantas A380 in service by October

IT was up, up and away for the flying kangaroo's new super jet yesterday as Qantas Airlines' first Airbus A380 effortlessly climbed into the skies above the French city of Toulouse, en route to an interior fitout in Germany.

The double-decker A380, which has a wingspan almost as large as a football field, will be named Nancy Bird Walton after the sprightly 92-year-old aviatrix.

After an incident-free two-hour flight and a near perfect touchdown at Hamburg on the Elbe River in northern Germany, the latest version of the world's biggest airliner was rolled into a hangar for its cabin fitout.

With the seats, galleys and the entertainment system to be installed, the 560-tonne jetliner next moves into a paint hangar where its appearance will change from bare metal green to the red and white livery of our national carrier.

Two weeks later, A380-01 is scheduled to return to Toulouse, the French headquarters of Airbus, where Qantas pilots and engineers will begin acceptance trials before it leaves for Australia in August. By October it is expected to be flying from Melbourne to Los Angeles.

The jet can carry 850 passengers but Qantas is likely to reconfigure the plane to seat just 500 to give extra space.

Qantas executive general manager John Borghetti, who was in Hamburg with his A380 project team to inspect and approve the interior fitout, said the finished product exceeded expectations.
"And my expectations were pretty high," he said.

Airbus also has given Qantas a rock-solid guarantee it will deliver by December all three of the first batch of 20 A380s that have been ordered.

After that there will be a brief delay of several weeks which could affect the arrival date of the fourth aircraft. The Franco-German company says the review is needed to conduct further tests of the A380 assembly systems.

However engineers at Hamburg said that before beginning the process they wanted to deliver the first wave of aircraft which had suffered a two-year delay due to software problems.

Philip Argy
12th May 2008, 09:03 AM
With A380-01 doing the MEL-LAX run, what routes will A380-02 and 03 operate? I assume the Pacific and Kangaroo routes, but does anyone have authoritative info?

Ben O
12th May 2008, 09:09 AM
It takes around 2 aircraft to complete a daily MEL-LAX service.

So I would say the first 4 or so aircraft will be used for 1x daily MEL-LAX-MEL and 1x daily SYD-LAX-SYD service.

Montague S
12th May 2008, 09:18 AM
according to these images the interior has been installed.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/gallery/0,22010,5031631-5006020-2,00.html

that economy green is disgusting! the business class looks cheap and first class looks more like a new business class.

pardon my harshness but the fitout looks terrible.

Ben O
12th May 2008, 09:24 AM
that economy green is disgusting!

I thought it was supposed to be RED! as per other pics and the updated B744 interiors......

Montague S
12th May 2008, 09:37 AM
well its clearly green so maybe the red is for the economy plus section? there is some red in pictures 5 & 6, perhaps upper & lower deck have a mix of colours?

Philip Argy
12th May 2008, 09:44 AM
Hmm - the fitout captions in the Herald Sun pics don't look right to me - I wonder if those pics are old and taken of a mock up cabin. If A380-01 has only just arrived in Hamburg for its fitout it's unlikely these photos are from that aircraft already fitted out but if they are I have to agree with others that it's a little disappointing.

Montague S
12th May 2008, 09:49 AM
Hmm - the fitout captions in the Herald Sun pics don't look right to me - I wonder if those pics are old and taken of a mock up cabin. If A380-01 has only just arrived in Hamburg for its fitout it's unlikely these photos are from that aircraft already fitted out but if they are I have to agree with others that it's a little disappointing.

or is it a case of just getting the news now but it actually occurred a while back? would they have a full size A380 mock cabin? looks like a lot of seats for a mock up.

if its not the real deal then we know what to expect.

Philip Argy
12th May 2008, 10:11 AM
Here's what Qantas says on its own website, although this must be a little while back as it was still assuming an August 2008 service commencement:
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/company/A380text

Philip Argy
12th May 2008, 10:21 AM
or is it a case of just getting the news now but it actually occurred a while back? ....

The news story is time stamped 12 May 2008 at "12.00 am" (which I don't think is a time that technically exists!) but then says

"IT was up, up and away for the flying kangaroo's new super jet yesterday as Qantas Airlines' first Airbus A380 effortlessly climbed into the skies above the French city of Toulouse, en route to an interior fitout in Germany" (my emphasis)

so I don't think it can be old news. That must mean that the pics accompanying the story are not of the fitout as installed in A380-01, even though I agree that the pics seem to show a lot of seats wherever they were taken.

Michael Morrison
12th May 2008, 12:07 PM
"Qantas executive general manager John Borghetti, who was in Hamburg with his A380 project team to inspect and approve the interior fitout, said the finished product exceeded expectations.
"And my expectations were pretty high," he said.

Seems like one is in Hamburg and another is about to go there.

The interiors definately looks real to me - and it looks stale and disappointing.

Greg McDonald
12th May 2008, 12:30 PM
That green looks disgusting!!!

Paul C.
12th May 2008, 12:40 PM
That green looks disgusting!!!

I know. Its like an undercoat paint to help protect the metal on the aircraft's fuselage or something like that. That will be painted over with 5 coats of white paint followed by the QANTAS titles. Will be registred VH-OQA.

Mick F
12th May 2008, 12:42 PM
How can Qantas call themselves a first grade airline when they come out with such disappointing interiors like that?

You only have to look at Singapore Airline's A380 interior to realise that Qantas' interior is nothing short of disgusting.

Mick

Montague S
12th May 2008, 12:42 PM
I know. Its like an undercoat paint to help protect the metal on the aircraft's fuselage or something like that. That will be painted over with 5 coats of white paint followed by the QANTAS titles. Will be registred VH-OQA.

I think he is talking about the green economy seats... :rolleyes:

Greg McDonald
12th May 2008, 12:52 PM
I think he is talking about the green economy seats... :rolleyes:

I was...but the idea of painting the seats another colour has merit:D

Ben O
12th May 2008, 01:08 PM
It seems one of the economy zones will be green with the other ones red.

Lachlan H
12th May 2008, 02:00 PM
The news story is time stamped 12 May 2008 at "12.00 am" (which I don't think is a time that technically exists!) but then says

"IT was up, up and away for the flying kangaroo's new super jet yesterday as Qantas Airlines' first Airbus A380 effortlessly climbed into the skies above the French city of Toulouse, en route to an interior fitout in Germany" (my emphasis)

so I don't think it can be old news. That must mean that the pics accompanying the story are not of the fitout as installed in A380-01, even though I agree that the pics seem to show a lot of seats wherever they were taken.

Qf first A380 flew to TLS in january didnt it :confused: Pretty sure....and i dont think its a mock up, because the steps that Mark Newson or whatever his name is standing on have lighting in them and such, makes me think there real. As well as this comment on the photo

With the seats, galleys and the entertainment system now installed, the 560 tonne jetliner moves next to a paint hangar where its appearance will change from bare metal green to the red and white livery of our national carrier. This is the first class section of the plane. of the first class seats

And yes, those green seats look disgusting!!!:eek:

But if you look at the photo of the woman standing at the bar, you can see the seats in fron of her are a burnt orange colour....looks like its going to out date quick!

Grant Smith
12th May 2008, 02:42 PM
But if you look at the photo of the woman standing at the bar, you can see the seats in fron of her are a burnt orange colour....looks like its going to out date quick!

You can see that better in the picture before that one (number 5 - I believe)

Rhys Xanthis
12th May 2008, 03:00 PM
First looks crap and looks like there isnt much room.

Business looks good, i like th layout.

Whoever chose green should go sit on the wing of first flight to think about what they have done.

That said, it will grow on us im sure, but GREEN. FFS WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH QANTAS/AUSTRALIA!!!

Lachlan H
12th May 2008, 03:16 PM
QANTAS Airlines' first A380 super jumbo reflects a distinctly Australian image, with furnishings reflecting the hues of our native landscape.

On show are the reds of the soil in the outback, the burnt amber of ripening wheat, the green of coastal pastures, the chocolate of the mountains and the taupe tones of our endless coast.

With a costly two-year construction delay over, the plane left Toulouse for Hamburg on an incident-free two-hour flight with a near perfect touchdown beside the Elbe river.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23680684-664,00.html

Montague S
12th May 2008, 03:19 PM
if I wanted a sample of the Australian landscape on my flight I'd drive out east and bottle some to take with me, I don't get how they think anyone could deduce that they are trying to reflect our landscape, soil, wheat and god knows what else with that revolting mix of colours.

chocolate of the mountain, I mean this isn't the ****ing Himalaya's here, this is for the most part a rather flat landscape.

Sarah C
12th May 2008, 03:26 PM
I saw the pics too and the word that sprang to mind - awful. The green looks terrible and the whole interior is a dissapointment. At least the red in Y in the current 747's actually looks OK.

Newson is very overrated with his design and his colours. I don't care how many awards he has won, the fact other airlines come out with much better designs constantly can't be ignored.

Bernie P
12th May 2008, 03:26 PM
Am I the ONLY one that likes it, even if only a LITTLE bit... :confused:

Why yes, the colours may represent the colours of Australia, but what does the current blues (from memory, it has been 2 years since flying QF) represent?

And finally, I know that a lot of people are not use to change, be it in the workplace or in forums like this, but cudos to QF for thinking outside the square, and going brave with a colour scheme... :eek:

Montague S
12th May 2008, 03:30 PM
Newson is very overrated with his design and his colours. I don't care how many awards he has won, the fact other airlines come out with much better designs constantly can't be ignored.

never thought I'd see the day when you finally say that Newson is overrated! indeed he is, I string him up and drop him from 38,000 feet for his latest "innovations." if you can call them innovations! skybed isn't really a new innovation but an adaptation of an existing product.

;)

Scott Lindsell
12th May 2008, 03:42 PM
I saw the pics too and the word that sprang to mind - awful. The green looks terrible and the whole interior is a dissapointment. At least the red in Y in the current 747's actually looks OK.

Couldn't agree more, well said Sarah.
I just saw that green and almost threw up in my mouth :eek:

Jamie D
12th May 2008, 04:15 PM
i cant get over how cheap and nasty that green looks, all this work and all the waiting, and then the launch of the 744 fitout with red, which is growing on me, and then Qantas go and put this green in there, it looks very LCC to me come to think of it. However i think the interior of JQs A332's even looks much better. And Sarah your comment was well said and i couldnt agree more.. Have a look in the background of the economy photo, you can clearly see red

Sarah C
12th May 2008, 04:16 PM
never thought I'd see the day when you finally say that Newson is overrated! indeed he is, I string him up and drop him from 38,000 feet for his latest "innovations." if you can call them innovations! skybed isn't really a new innovation but an adaptation of an existing product.

;)

The lFirst Class Lounge is nice but the rest is overrated..........I can't understand why QF pays him so much when his designs are not impressive........

Ben O
12th May 2008, 04:16 PM
Maybe the cabins will look better once the head rest covers are added as well as blankets, pillows and other extras etc.

Lets not forget that the green is only in 1 section of the economy cabin.

Marty H
12th May 2008, 04:30 PM
Sitting in those 'green' seats for 24hrs on a flight to LHR would be very painful:(

Erik H. Bakke
12th May 2008, 04:38 PM
Why yes, the colours may represent the colours of Australia, but what does the current blues (from memory, it has been 2 years since flying QF) represent?

The feeling you get when you check your account after paying for the QF ticket?

Montague S
12th May 2008, 04:47 PM
The feeling you get when you check your account after paying for the QF ticket?

or the feeling you get when you try & spend your FF points! :D

Todd Milton
12th May 2008, 08:18 PM
I am not a fan of the green, The warmer orange and red have a nicer feel about it. I had the same green traymat on my last flight, would serve better as a puke bag personally.

Its no Singapore Airlines A380 fitout but hell, I wouldn't mind travelling on the Qantas version however. Looks half comfortable, aslong as the legroom is not reduced then I would be happy!!

Stephen Brown
12th May 2008, 08:48 PM
With that green at least you won't see the vomit stains....

Nick W.
12th May 2008, 10:24 PM
The A380 for an airline such as QF has the potential that a large ship has as far as design goes. I like the roo on the staircase, and I can't help but feel it will be a fantastic internal design (as well as external!).

But, as long as we're talking about ships, economy decor reminds me a bit of the lower class in Titanic the movie...

Sarah C
13th May 2008, 07:34 AM
It does look like a ship - the whole interior looks so cold and boring. Even Aer Lingus wouldn't put that green through thier cabin.........

The sad part is the airline has no one to blame but themselves if they get a bad reaction. The A380 will be a dissapointment to many passengers - look at the reaction on Airliners.net........it says a lot.

Clarke P
13th May 2008, 08:56 AM
Economy looks like a regional CityRail train (the ones that go from Sydney to Wollongong with the ugly old green interior).

Business looks like what they were initially promising in premium economy.

And First looks like a patients chair at a dentist..

I really dislike it. Really, REALLY dislike it. :(

Michael Morrison
13th May 2008, 09:03 AM
The colours on their own would be ok.... but against the WHITE of the interior they really do look dull, and souless.....

Now I understand the F lounges etc are now retro cool... but newson missed the mark on the retro colours in this plane.....

Paul McFarlane
13th May 2008, 09:21 AM
The A380 will be a dissapointment to many passengers...

I understand what you (and the majority of others) are saying but for me, flying in the 380 would be a thrill. I couldn't care less if the seats were purple with pink dots (now there's an idea :p). Yes, the sea of green that you see when you walk in is quite overwhelming, but when in your seat and with people occupying the other seats - how bad can it be? But I am just one of those types that enjoy flying for the sake of flying... give me a milk crate and I'll be happy.

Just my thoughts.

Paul.

Montague S
13th May 2008, 09:34 AM
give me a milk crate and I'll be happy.

http://users.adelphia.net/~javamoose/ROV/images/032.jpg

happy now? :D

Paul McFarlane
13th May 2008, 09:41 AM
Mmmm.... yeah.... got anything in green?:D

Erik H. Bakke
13th May 2008, 10:39 AM
The internal colour scheme gives me flashbacks to some very memorable flights on DC10s. The same colours were very fashionable back then, too.

The difference between SQ's and QF's approach to the A380 is romance vs people-mover.

Mick F
13th May 2008, 11:08 AM
Sorry to the mods for linking to another board, but I think both this thread and the one on pprune sums up most people's thoughts. I wonder what QF Management are thinking if they're reading the numerous websites with the comments from their 'customers', :rolleyes:.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=326568

Mick

Kurt A
13th May 2008, 11:22 AM
No worries Mick.

August Delivery for QF

With their assembly issues firmly in the past, Airbus is celebrating a successful European test flight of the first A380 superjumbo for Qantas.

The ongoing delays on deliveries seem to finally have been rectified, as Qantas anticipates delivery of its A380 in August.
The superjumbo has been named the Nancy Bird Walton, after the 92-year old founder of the Australia Women Pilots’ Association.

The test flight witnessed the A380 take flight above Toulouse, the French headquarters of Airbus, and land two hours later, minus any hazards or incidents, in Hamburg.
The 560-tonner aircraft was then rolled into a hangar for its final fit-out, installing new seats, galleys and an entertainment system, the Advertiser reports.

The bare metal of the jetliner will soon be transformed into the iconic red and white of the Australian flag-carrier.

The forthcoming schedule of the A380 will involve a return to Toulouse in two weeks, to allow Qantas pilots and engineers to embark on acceptance examinations. By October, the aircraft ought to be flying between Melbourne and Los Angeles.

John Borgetti, executive general manager of Qantas, was in Hamburg to approve the new interiors, and claimed that the plane had exceeded his expectations.

He added, “And my expectations were pretty high.”

The A380 promises to deliver within all classes. The 14 first class seats are trimmed in quality Edelman leather. Economy travellers will be treated to seats devised by industrial designer Marc Newson and Recaro, the seat maker for Porsche and Aston Martin.

The success of the first Qantas A380 has enabled Airbus to promise the delivery of the first three A380s out of the 20 ordered by Qantas, by the end of the year.

Airbus has noted that a necessary review of the A380 assembly systems could lead to several more weeks delay before a fourth aircraft is ready.
Prior to the review, however, the engineers in Hamburg intend to delivery the first wave of aircraft that was affected by the software issues causing the two year delay.
-eTravel

D Chan
13th May 2008, 06:09 PM
The colours on their own would be ok.... but against the WHITE of the interior they really do look dull, and souless.....

Now I understand the F lounges etc are now retro cool... but newson missed the mark on the retro colours in this plane.....

I don't like that green either. If you look at the green colours that Cathay use they are more appealing to the eye and IMHO that's a better green.
Although things might look different with moodlighting or when lights are dimmed slightly.

But then again - colour is one issue - comfort is another. As long as the seats are comfortable to passengers than they should be more than satisfied. These colours may not look appealing but at least they are not 'painful' to the eyes - like the purple and bright red that VS has - there's nothing quite like the feeling of waking up tired after an overnight flight, opening your eyes, and looking right into bright purple or bright red.

Anyway I still think a better shade of green couldve been used.

Clarke P
13th May 2008, 06:10 PM
Mmmm.... yeah.... got anything in green?:D

http://lh3.google.com/_7osh4XFRLjs/R4K0sAWvtII/AAAAAAAAADs/TFLxxWC7eYg/s800/123107_13321.jpg

Andrew M
14th May 2008, 10:38 AM
"Airbus also has given Qantas a rock-solid guarantee it will deliver by December all three of the first batch of 20 A380s that have been ordered. "

Great news for Xmas and for my MEL-LAX flight which I have planned for the A380.

Now on to the colours:

Assuming that the news.com.au pictures are correct.... Which is a big ask.... But it seems that green is correct :eek: Economy Green - Heck a Jetstar A332 is nicer down the back

Premium Economy - nice

Business - I wouldn't ever pay to fly in a Skybed Mark 1, 2, 3, 4. Ditch the skybeds and use a AC/NZ/CX/DL bed.

First - Start drilling my tooth now please!

Qantas my score card for you based on appearances only and thought that has gone into the A380 - 1/10

Now when will QF load the schedules into the system so I can reserve my seat :)

Paul McFarlane
14th May 2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks Clarke... that's much better! :D

Lukas M
16th May 2008, 08:09 AM
They have been watching us:p

QANTAS has leapt to the defence of the Australian-themed decor in its new A380 superjumbos after the cabins received an online drubbing from aviation enthusiasts.
Photographs of the first plane posted online this week have provoked an avalanche of mostly negative comments on aviation website airliners.net.
The reaction of more than 270 posts from around the world is particularly critical of the airline's colour schemes.
Created by award-winning Australian industrial designer Marc Newson, a first media review of the cabins said: "Travellers will see elegant internal furnishings in colours reflecting the changing hues of our native landscape."
But aviation enthusiasts on airliners.net found that the colours reminded them more of bodily functions than a sunburnt country.
At the top of the hate list were the green seats pictured in the economy cabin.
"I am glad I was not the only one wanting to puke when I saw the green economy seats," said a poster from the US, the first destination for the A380.
"Those are horrible."
A fellow American agreed: "Given all the hype from QF, Iwas expecting much better product.
"This one looks like crap.
"Bad colours, seat designs that value form over comfort."
One British correspondent likened the economy cabin to a hospital waiting room.
"Really, I cannot see this working at all, they are going to have to change it," the poster said.
"Indescribably awful."
"I hope they saved the receipts ... maybe they can get their money back," said another poster from Colombia.
One wag even posted a picture of Sydney's City Rail trains, which also have unflattering green seats, and suggested these might have been the inspiration.
Posters were also generally underwhelmed by the photographs of the Qantas first- and business-class seats, although reaction to these was more mixed.
"Newson may have been going for a retro/Soviet 70s style, in which case he pulled it off quite well, especially looking at the first-class cabin," said a Finnish correspondent.
But one Australian doubted whether the colour would make any difference to travellers and another believed the reaction was "a tad too harsh".
"There are many things we can't tell from these pics, such as how comfortable the seats actually are, how much real space there is, etc," the Australian said.
"People in economy aren't going to give a toss what colour the seats are as long as they are comfortable and have a working PTV screen - the same way they aren't going to care what colour the business cabin is as long as the seats are flat and the service is decent."
Qantas said the cabins were still unfinished and urged people not to judge them on the basis of a limited number of photographs.
"We are totally confident of our new product," said the airline's head of corporate affairs, Belinda de Rome.
"We think it will be the best in the sky and when people see it on board they will be bowled over."
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23705290-23349,00.html

Sarah C
16th May 2008, 08:46 AM
Great article, well done Steve!

Seriously, I hope that the communications area have actually passed on the article to management and they don't dismiss the opinions of "aviation enthusiasts". They are passengers too - if you went to the terminal today, showed 100 passengers the pictures, I am sure you would get the same 80-90% negative reaction.

Darren Butterworth
16th May 2008, 08:48 AM
Lucky they didn't look here - Your green crate might have got a mention Clarke.:)

Rhys Xanthis
16th May 2008, 08:50 AM
while its clearly not an attractive colour, perhaps that guy is right...as long as they're comfy...

Montague S
16th May 2008, 09:17 AM
"We are totally confident of our new product," said the airline's head of corporate affairs, Belinda de Rome.

"We think it will be the best in the sky and when people see it on board they will be bowled over."

is she off her face or has not seen the product offering from SQ? :eek:

Sarah C
16th May 2008, 09:29 AM

I am sure she has been told to say that. Spokespeople always have to defend thier product, whether they like it or not.

Andrew M
16th May 2008, 10:55 AM

What do you really expect someone that works for Qantas to say ?

Seriously!!!!

While we all know that SQ is and will probably always be a step ahead of QF, no staff member at QF is going to publicly state how crap the QF offering is.

Andrew M
16th May 2008, 10:56 AM
Steve Creedy - Always a great and accurate read in The Australian.

One of the only aviation writers that I respect and can rely on in the media for facts! I am sure you read here so well done :)

Montague S
16th May 2008, 11:47 AM
What do you really expect someone that works for Qantas to say ?

Seriously!!!!

While we all know that SQ is and will probably always be a step ahead of QF, no staff member at QF is going to publicly state how crap the QF offering is.

I don't expect her to say anything negative but to come up with bowled over is a little over the top.

Sarah C
16th May 2008, 12:49 PM
Steve Creedy - Always a great and accurate read in The Australian.

One of the only aviation writers that I respect and can rely on in the media for facts! I am sure you read here so well done :)

Agree - always love reading his articles. He sticks to the facts and unlike some journalists, can get the facts right.

Rhys Xanthis
16th May 2008, 02:57 PM
I was going to say in-flight offerings differ, but i didnt know SQ had power in every seat.

Its going to come down to seat comfort i think. Will be interesting to see.

Kutay Ceyhan
19th May 2008, 05:22 PM
Philip,

In regards to destinations; by 2nd or the 3rd, I am not sure which, but what I am hearing in the QCC office is that first a/c will be doing SYD LAX via MEL, until the second arrives (Dec or Jan), then SYD SIN. Now I dont know how accurate this info is, but I guess I'll find out during the A380 Roadshow next week.

kutay

Adam T
19th May 2008, 07:57 PM
Yuck, you're not wrong. The interior is woeful

Rhys Xanthis
19th May 2008, 09:57 PM
until the second arrives (Dec or Jan), then SYD SIN.
kutay

Surprising to me if they go that way...surely it would then have to continue onwards? Dont most QF continue from Sin to Europe, or are their shuttles from Europe to SIN and then from SIN to yssy?

Ben O
20th May 2008, 08:29 AM
All QF SYD-SIN-SYD services continue or originate in Europe LHR/FRA.

Michael Morrison
20th May 2008, 08:40 AM
All QF SYD-SIN-SYD services continue or originate in Europe LHR/FRA.

All 747 services, but the SYD-ADL-SIN A330 services turns back around for Australia

In syaing that they may decide to put a 744 back on the BNE-SIN leg and let that continue to LHR/FRA and have the SYD-SIN 380 turn around... but that would seem a bit strange!

Kutay Ceyhan
20th May 2008, 09:34 AM
Rhys,

That is correct. It does not originate in SIN. It continues as usual. I was only refering to crew compliment.

Re interior colour, God help us!

Kent Broadhead
20th May 2008, 12:15 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't mind the seat colour for economy? I'd expect it will appear quite different when we see the colour of the carpets against it.

My issue would be that the seats themselves look pretty unsupportive....

Kent

Montague S
20th May 2008, 12:19 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't mind the seat colour for economy? I'd expect it will appear quite different when we see the colour of the carpets against it.

My issue would be that the seats themselves look pretty unsupportive....

Kent

you are seeing it...
With the seats, galleys and the entertainment system now installed, the 560 tonne jetliner moves next to a paint hangar where its appearance will change from bare metal green to the red and white livery of our national carrier. This is the first class section of the plane.

Clarke P
20th May 2008, 12:48 PM
They should leave it bare-metal green, it suits the interior. :eek:

Not really, but yeah.

Kent Broadhead
20th May 2008, 03:09 PM
My viewing of the photos form news.com.au was that the floors still had protective plastic over the carpets - surely they won't be white carpets?

Kent

PS. Maybe I am wrong about the floors, looking at the pics again. maybe the hue of the green is a couple of shades to dark for comfort....

Rhys Xanthis
20th May 2008, 03:15 PM
I look at that green again, and it doesnt seem as hideous for some reason...

and i think that is plastic on the floor...makes sense. protect it while they are still walking through etc.

Ben O
20th May 2008, 05:05 PM
The green seats actually have a black stitching type pattern that runs through it. Exactly like the new red fabrics on the B744s/A332s.

Sarah C
21st May 2008, 07:32 PM
http://www.news.com.au/comments/0,23600,23734697-5014090,00.html

And it continues...........I really hope these comments are being taken seriously.

Although beware with this one, some idiots think the picture without the livery painted is permanent :rolleyes:

Andrew M
21st May 2008, 07:46 PM
Yes you need to ignore the kids who have never flown before and think that green paint on the outside is normal.

Rhys Xanthis
21st May 2008, 08:14 PM
Yes you need to ignore the kids who have never flown before and think that green paint on the outside is normal.

I was about to say stay away.

Some think the aircraft is green.

Someone made an attack on a comment of mine, them saying that the seats have been painted in a green undercoat.

1. Read the proper stories.
2. Ive never sat on a PAINTED chair!

Steve S... 2
23rd May 2008, 10:41 AM
I am shocked that any person (let alone the media) can assume the QF A380 will be flying around in patchy green primer and bare metal. This is the dumbest thing I have read in my life.

Clarke P
23rd May 2008, 10:50 AM
This is so Qantas, compared to Singapore this A/C interior looks like a Government bus, what a joke, and they have paid some high class tosser millions for the design. Typical Qantas, cheap is best but then charge the earth for the lowest quality service, how else could they be the worlds most profitable airline.

:eek: This guy needs to start making sense.

If they paid "some high class tosser millions for the design" then how does "cheap is best but then charge the earth" work?

If they had "the lowest quality service" then they wouldn't BE "the worlds most profitable airline" - and there's no facts to back any of the statements up anyway.

Government bus though.. at this point in time, I will agree with that. :p

I just hope the finished interior makes it look more than it is now.

Erik H. Bakke
24th May 2008, 12:40 AM
Nah, when I was riding on L20 from Sydney to Parramatta this morning, the interior looked a lot fresher than this...

D Chan
24th May 2008, 03:03 AM
2. Ive never sat on a PAINTED chair!

not if you 've sat on a cityrail train with blue fake leather seats! :P

Shameel Kumar
24th May 2008, 05:50 PM
Is there still any word/rumours of a special livery A380 by QF?

I'm pretty sure the first QF A380 will be in standard livery just because it 'has to be'...but QF were one of the first to apply a full-body special livery to the 747, so it would be fitting if they kept that creative approach alive and came up with a nice A380 special livery.

Chris Tully
24th May 2008, 06:18 PM
The first A380 is currently in Hamburg undergoing paint.

The livery will be the standard Qantas colours with the amendments made to the Kangaroo and name.

Stuart Trevena
24th May 2008, 07:47 PM
Hi All,

How about Re-painting "Nalanji Dreaming" on the A380??

Stuart

Nigel C
24th May 2008, 08:32 PM
How about not!:D

Montague S
24th May 2008, 11:26 PM
Hi All,

Stuart

how about you dig deep into your pockets and pay for it? ;)

Shameel Kumar
24th May 2008, 11:38 PM
how about you dig deep into your pockets and pay for it? ;)

Another 'surcharge' by Qantas should take care of the cost of painting the aircraft and recouping the cost related to the extra fuel burn. ;)

Marty H
25th May 2008, 10:15 AM
Hi All,

Stuart

Current fuel prices and the extra weight from the paint would suggest no, plus the nalanji scheme is feral anyway.

Rhys Xanthis
25th May 2008, 01:45 PM
plus the nalanji scheme is feral anyway.

blasphemy!

it looked awesome!

Michael Morrison
5th June 2008, 09:16 AM
First pic of the new colours here

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,23813590-5014090,00.html

Steve S... 2
5th June 2008, 09:18 AM
I thought it was going to be green and silver? hahahaha

Philip Argy
5th June 2008, 11:44 AM
I like the mini logos on the rear of the engine nacelles:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/958673/L/

Brenden S
5th June 2008, 11:55 AM
New livery looks not to bad on the new bus.

D Chan
5th June 2008, 09:32 PM
New livery looks not to bad on the new bus.

looks great on the 744 also :D - but it looks perfect on the a380 though.

The new livery I think is catching on and people are getting used to it (certainly I am) - I'm starting to love it.

The old kangaroo design / shape needs replacing - the more I see it next to the new kangaroo the more I think the old roo is an outdated design.

Luke Chittock
10th June 2008, 09:39 AM
Howdy all

QF due to announce A380 schedules and arrival details this week.

Expect the first 380 to be loitering around the skies of Australia for the first month or so for crew training/promotional flights before it starts commercial ops to LAX.

Regards

Luke/PER

Montague S
10th June 2008, 10:01 AM
Luke et al, rumour has it that she'll be gracing our skies too on some route proving flights?!

Chris Tully
10th June 2008, 10:20 AM
Monty, you can expect the 380 will visit Perth as part of proving/training flights that will occur around the country.

There will be plenty of opportunities for QF Group staff at least to travel on this aeroplane as part of the trials.

Lukas M
10th June 2008, 10:27 AM
Guys, Does anyone know if they might be doing a charity flight for their first flight or something like that??

Andrew M
10th June 2008, 10:44 AM
No doubt they will announce flights etc when I am overseas with no internet access on Friday :(

Nick W.
10th June 2008, 07:45 PM
on a more serious and (hopefully) civil note, what's the go with A380 sims at QF right now? Last I heard they had 1 fixed base sim at Mascot, but will there be any more, perhaps in MEL or BNE? I don't know anything about the topic, so would be good to find out a bit more!

N

D Chan
10th June 2008, 07:51 PM
:eek:

what's the go with A380 sims at QF right now? Last I heard they had 1 fixed base sim at Mascot, but will there be any more, perhaps in MEL or BNE? I don't know anything about the topic, so would be good to find out a bit more!

N

well there might be more room at Mascot if they take the 743 sim out (after the real classics are retired) - it's right next door to the a380 sim as well so you have the newest and the oldest sort of side by side, and either way at the early stage of A380 operations they won't have that many of those A380s to operate, so the pool of pilot won't be that big? (I'm sure it will grow) They've had plenty of time to prepare as well with the 18 month delays as well so I'd assume they would have ample time for sim sessions overseas

Max C
10th June 2008, 08:22 PM
well there might be more room at Mascot if they take the 743 sim out (after the real classics are retired) - it's right next door to the a380 sim as well so you have the newest and the oldest sort of side by side, and either way at the early stage of A380 operations they won't have that many of those A380s to operate, so the pool of pilot won't be that big? (I'm sure it will grow) They've had plenty of time to prepare as well with the 18 month delays as well so I'd assume they would have ample time for sim sessions overseas

The 743 sim is due to be removed late this year, and another Dash 8 sim (-300) is due in its place. The A380 is currently housed next to a Dash8-100 sim, which is also due to leave late this year/early next year. As to what is going in that spot, I'm not sure. There's also room for a 787 sim :D

Luke Chittock
11th June 2008, 05:45 PM
Howdy all

R class now showing in the availablity inventory for selected routes...

Regards

Luke/PER

Chris Tully
11th June 2008, 06:16 PM
Plenty of space at the Melbourne Sim facility since they removed the A330.

I think there is only an A320 and 737 sim sitting there at the moment.

Andrew M
11th June 2008, 10:12 PM
What routes :)

Brad L.
12th June 2008, 12:06 AM
Looks like another A330 sim will return to the Melbourne Training Facility later this year (October).

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/flightOperations/index

Chris Primmer
4th August 2008, 04:29 PM
Hey I was looking for any sort of confirmation of when the first Qantas A380 will be coming to Australia, And I noticed that VH-QOC took flight over the weekend for the first time.

ChrisP

FYI - Still looking for QOA's arrival date though!

Rhys Xanthis
4th August 2008, 06:13 PM
FYI - Still looking for QOA's arrival date though!

From airliners.net:

MSN 014 - qf's first a380 will start to make re-check flights in August and will be also transferred to TLS in August, meaning the delivery could take place end of August or in September 2008. It was already seen at the flight-line in XFW but due to marketing reasons they had to move it back into an hangar for today Wink

MSN 015 - qf's second a380 - arrived in TLS end of June 2008. So, I don't think October 2008 is possible but rather something like end of this year.

And MSN 022 - qf's third a380 - had not yet its first flight and I don't think it will be delivered this year but in beginning of 2009.

Michael Morrison
4th August 2008, 07:08 PM
From airliners.net:

Well I still think the 2nd one will arrive end OCT as QF will start using it mid November.... the third is then scheduled to start service mid January.

Montague S
5th August 2008, 03:16 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/08/05/1217702015926.html

QF getting a little anxious about LAX and their facilities.

Philip Argy
5th August 2008, 03:22 PM
Just when some are asking if it's Qantas that's been lax!

Sarmad Al-Khozaie
5th August 2008, 05:04 PM
What is expected delivery date for QF ? will it be coming to SYD or straight to MEL?

Anthony J
5th August 2008, 05:50 PM
What is expected delivery date for QF ? will it be coming to SYD or straight to MEL?
Straight to Sydney (via Singapore) in late September.

Jon Harris
6th August 2008, 11:53 AM
Is AA's T4 at LAX able to handle the A380? I think the current QF services use gates 41/42 at T4...