PDA

View Full Version : AFL swaps from QF to DJ

Geoff W
18th November 2010, 01:52 PM
From Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/afl-dumps-qantas-as-its-official-carrier-set-to-sign-deal-with-virgin/story-e6frf7kx-1225955673452

I am a tad surprised I have to say.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Kent Broadhead
18th November 2010, 02:01 PM
Doesn't really surprise me - remember that the 9 year association only began when Ansett went belly up.

With DJ realigning its brands and expanding, they'll probably get more out of the assiciation than QF

Dale C
18th November 2010, 03:28 PM
Now it's time for them to sponsor a team, as well. How about "the virgin blues". Of course, that is if Virgin Blue stays as the name, which I don't think it will.

Sarah C
18th November 2010, 03:53 PM
Well the article states that the AFL were demanding exclusivity - the contracts with the Socceroos and Rugby are worth far more, so they are not going to give that up.

No more Grand Final flyover..........

Geoff W
18th November 2010, 04:13 PM
Sarah,

I agree nor do I think the AFL should demand this.

I am still as I mentioned "a tad surprised"

It is my belief on what I have observed over several years I consider QF have supported the AFL travelling teams much better than well.

Of course I have NO idea of what is in the new contract that has swayed this choice.

Bye the bye. It is interesting, I have since read from when I created this post.
QF have dumped the AFL.....

Oh!! how you can switch the story?

I really dont know who dumped who! It's changing is all I know.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Sarah C
18th November 2010, 04:25 PM
It seems from the commentary the actual deals were similar, but the AFL's demand was the difference. What the clubs think (in particiular the WA teams) would be interesting. The charter airlines like Strategic just might get some business from AFL clubs for the Perth trip for example.

It is a good get for DJ but that effectively kills off any other sport opportunities for them for a few years.

Geoff W
18th November 2010, 04:48 PM
Sarah,

I really dont think, if DJ have this contract with the AFL that others will have an opportunity to participate in it, even from the west, and I dont follow WA teams. Hah!

I do know what you are saying, but I doubt others would have had a chance to participate under the QF/AFL contract.

Again totally agree there will be no chance for DJ to participate in a football code sponsorship for the length of this contract from what I read into it.

I havent found out yet, how long is this contract for? Is it yearly with extensions or 5+ years ? I dont know.

Sure it will probably come out in the next few days.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Sarah C
18th November 2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks for your thoughts too Geoff. Clubs can charter thier own aircraft but it is at thier cost - Collingwood famously hired an Ozjet aircraft to fly back from Perth and it was fitted with oxygen masks etc. I would imagine private jets would be attractive to clubs if they can afford it.

I think the press will write about it in the next 24 hours so more information might come out then.

Justin L
19th November 2010, 03:04 AM
So would it be safe to assume that DJ would put on ADL-DRW flights for Port Adelaide's games up there, as well as non-stop LST flights from cities which have teams playing down there?

Brian Wilkes
19th November 2010, 06:51 AM
Expect a logo jet from this to take full advantage from it!

Ryan K
19th November 2010, 08:11 AM
So would it be safe to assume that DJ would put on ADL-DRW flights for Port Adelaide's games up there, as well as non-stop LST flights from cities which have teams playing down there?

Most likely. Qantas put on direct flights between LST and PER, ADL and BNE for games played in Launceston.

There's probably a few disappointed spotters at Coolangatta who were looking forward to seeing some Qantas aircraft coming in next year when the Gold Coast Suns join the AFL.

Robert Zweck
19th November 2010, 08:48 AM
Port Adelaide play twice in Darwin next season and they would be overjoyed with the prospect of flying via SYD or BNE , arriving around midnight and then need a day to recover from jet lag.

Qantas would not be all that fussed about giving up this contract.

I can just imagine an entourage of 45 plus their truck load of baggage cramming into an E-190.

Jarden S
19th November 2010, 11:22 AM
Expect a logo jet from this to take full advantage from it!

DJ could paint up an A330 in an AFL promo scheme. They will have to repaint them anyway when they come over from Dubai.

Montague S
19th November 2010, 04:00 PM
how on earth is a contract with the Rugby and Soccer more lucrative than the AFL? the Soccerwho's travel a few times a year, the Wallabies, likewise, the AFL teams for the most part travel each week in a 26+ week year.

If Qantas had sponsorship of a team like they did when they were sponsoring NM then I suspect that the switch from the AFL would never have occurred, stupid move though.

Radi K
19th November 2010, 05:22 PM
Qantas would not be all that fussed about giving up this contract.

Personally I doubt that very much! It's a 3 million dollar account min! I'm sure they are fussed.

As for getting on an E190. I think it's one of the most comfortable jet's I have ever flown in to be honest. Wide seats, great leg room. 2x2 config etc

+ it goes as quick/quicker than the 737 and can get into smaller ports.

Jayden Laing
19th November 2010, 11:29 PM
Very un-person friendly though to load.:D

Owen H
20th November 2010, 12:10 AM
3 mil account?

Surely the money would be going the other way, given they are sponsoring...

I'd love to know how you make money out of being a sponsor.

This has to be more about advertising than players on seats. And sponsoring international teams is always going to be the priority.

Grant Smith
20th November 2010, 12:57 AM
how on earth is a contract with the Rugby and Soccer more lucrative than the AFL? the Soccerwho's travel a few times a year, the Wallabies, likewise, the AFL teams for the most part travel each week in a 26+ week year

Lest we not forget Mont, the Australian Super 15 teams flying back'n'forth to the Republic & NZ..

Arrogance on the part of the AFL - IMHO ;)

Ash W
20th November 2010, 02:46 AM
how on earth is a contract with the Rugby and Soccer more lucrative than the AFL? the Soccerwho's travel a few times a year, the Wallabies, likewise, the AFL teams for the most part travel each week in a 26+ week year.

If Qantas had sponsorship of a team like they did when they were sponsoring NM then I suspect that the switch from the AFL would never have occurred, stupid move though.

Both those sports have a much more WORLD exposure, which is where Qantas no doubt wants to see it's brand.

As for this contract as others have said it seems more like arrogance on behlaf of the AFL to demand exclusivity. I mean to say what does it even matter to the AFL if Qantas were also a sponsor of another sport.

Justin L
20th November 2010, 05:40 AM
Regarding exclusivity demands from the AFL, I take it DJ's sponsorship of South Sydney in the NRL isn't a factor as it's just a team sponsor not a league sponsor?

Sarah C
20th November 2010, 06:18 AM
Regarding exclusivity demands from the AFL, I take it DJ's sponsorship of South Sydney in the NRL isn't a factor as it's just a team sponsor not a league sponsor?

I was thinking the same thing - DJ also sponsor the NBL so maybe they have to wait for those deals to expire. And DJ are a pretty big sponsor of Souths too, they are not a minor player, they get a fair bit of exposure from it.

By the way, it is a three year deal.

Radi K
20th November 2010, 06:12 PM
Owen the players don't travel for free! Why would any airline want the AFL biz if they flew 60+ people from every team, every week for free? Just to have a logo around?

It's a corporate travel service provider contract. Just like any other big biz or government contract.

Andrew M
30th November 2010, 07:51 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-airline-switch-concerns-players/story-e6frf9jf-1225961779416 - More at the link

THE AFL is on a collision course with its players over a decision to dump Qantas in favour of Virgin Blue as the league's official airline.

The AFL Players' Association will seek a meeting with the league next week to raise concerns about the switch and a perceived lack of concern about player welfare on interstate flights.

The AFL cut ties with Qantas last week in favour of a lucrative new deal with Virgin believed to be worth $6 million a year.

Stars from several clubs raised misgivings about economy class travel to and from interstate games at an AFLPA delegates' conference in Torquay this week.

Players travelling with Qantas are regularly upgraded to business class, but Virgin currently does not offer business class, only premium economy.

Raymond Rowe
30th November 2010, 09:13 PM
I bet Mr Demitriou does not fly DJ.Double standards will apply there.

Andrew M
30th November 2010, 09:13 PM
I think the AFL deal will go nicely with the "new look" Virgin Blue with enhanced products on board...

Jayden Laing
1st December 2010, 07:07 AM
It's all good to point out the weak points with the old Virgin Blue (ie buying food, cramped seats) BUT what about the new Virgin Blue that Borghetti has lined up for next year. It will be different from what it is now. Fair enough the current DJ look wouldn't be the best suited for the AFL players BUT what about the new look Virgin Blue. It may well be suited to them & their needs. Until then, we & the AFL will all have to put up with what we currently have! :cool:

Andrew M
1st December 2010, 07:56 AM
How long will it take to roll out the new product to all 50+ aircraft :cool:

Daniel M
1st December 2010, 09:58 AM
The article sort of confirms what alot of people have known for a while, in that the AFL players are a bunch of overpaid fairies...

Not being upgraded to business class? Bot being able to ice themselves on the way back from games? Give me a break. The longest flight for players is from Perth or Darwin to the East Coast, with the majority of flights being up and down the East Coast, and to Adelaide...if they can't handle sitting in an economy seat for an hour and a half and not being iced, then god help them.

To me it seems more than likely the players and officials are upset that they won't be accumulating Qantas FF points anymore.

Absolutely fairies.

Montague S
1st December 2010, 12:53 PM
The article sort of confirms what alot of people have known for a while, in that the AFL players are a bunch of overpaid fairies...

Not being upgraded to business class? Bot being able to ice themselves on the way back from games? Give me a break.

and the tallest player is Aaron Sandilands, how do you propose he squeeze into an E jet that flies from Perth to Adelaide, or even worse, on the BNE flight in the 737-700...its not all about the length of time, some of these guys are pushing 7 feet tall.

Justin L
1st December 2010, 01:24 PM
Were there similar rumblings when DJ got the NBL contract? They have many tall players, but even if there were rumblings early, you don't hear anything now. Lower profile and smaller travelling parties I know... Also, the NBL would fly out of a greater number of cities and different city-pairs than the AFL and they seem to cope.

Also, if a WA team is flying to Adelaide, you would assume in addition to regular pax, there would also be travelling football fans on the same flight. Would this not be factored into DJ's planning so that this flight is done by a 737 rather than an E-jet? They may even throw on their A330's for WA teams' flights to ADL as well?

Andrew M
1st December 2010, 02:27 PM
Without getting too off topic, I have zero interest in the AFL and as a rule I think they are overpaid morons....

Regardless I am sure that some of them would have issues with small economy seating and restricted legroom. But I also think that they should not be upgraded for free simply because they are AFL players and have trouble with small Economy seating. Not sure how 25 or so players fit in J in a 737 with QF anyways..............

Maybe they can all fly the new A330 with QF in J class. Lots of legroom and nice wide seats there :eek::eek::eek:

Anthony T
1st December 2010, 05:39 PM
I bet Mr Demitriou does not fly DJ.Double standards will apply there.

QF pulled Mr Demitriou's Chairmans Lounge access, he turned up and was denied entry, had to slum it in the QF club.:D

Radi K
2nd December 2010, 12:37 AM
Gold AT!

Mick B
2nd December 2010, 01:52 AM
Good to hear, Demetriou must be one of the biggest d1ckheads in the country. His attempts at hijacking the 2022 World Cup bid are disgusting!

Justin L
19th May 2011, 03:21 PM
Most likely. Qantas put on direct flights between LST and PER, ADL and BNE for games played in Launceston.

There's probably a few disappointed spotters at Coolangatta who were looking forward to seeing some Qantas aircraft coming in next year when the Gold Coast Suns join the AFL.

Port Adelaide's Facebook News Feed announced today that Virgin are scheduling special non-stop ADL-DRW flights for Port's games up there. I'm assuming a 737?

This article (http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6038/newsid/114271/default.aspx) also has the flight times, also pasted below.

Adelaide to Darwin
Thursday 26 May
Flight DJ1785
Depart 11.00am
Arrive 2.35pm

Darwin to Adelaide:
Sunday 29 May
Flight DJ1784
Depart 12.50pm
Arrive 4.25pm

Stefan Perkas
19th May 2011, 05:16 PM
There are also more flights when the Power go up there in July to play Melbourne. The timings are differnt to this one.

14/7/11
DJ1483 Dep ADL 1135 Arr DRW 1510

17/7/11
DJ1784 Dep DRW 1200 Arr ADL 1535

Grant Smith
20th May 2011, 01:04 AM
Does Virgin know something the rest of the AFL doesn't? :p

Rob C
30th May 2011, 12:26 PM
Port Adelaide's Facebook News Feed announced today that Virgin are scheduling special non-stop ADL-DRW flights for Port's games up there. I'm assuming a 737?

Darwin to Adelaide:
Sunday 29 May
Flight DJ1784
Depart 12.50pm
Arrive 4.25pm

1784 was operated by VBU, probably the first time a 737-700 has been to DRW in a while. The Aircraft continued on to operate DJ437 back to SYD.