PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Launches New Domestic Experience

Brad Myer
19th November 2010, 06:20 PM
Good to see domestic economy also getting some enhancements!

Sam Chui
19th November 2010, 08:48 PM
When are all these getting implemented ?

Benny Zheng
19th November 2010, 11:09 PM
I really hoped they improved their domestic breakfast offerings. Hate it when they only offer you cereal and a banana.

Ash W
20th November 2010, 02:49 AM
When are all these getting implemented ?

The second para of the press release above says "from this week'

Kelvin R
20th November 2010, 05:40 AM
Hi Benny,

I have some sad news for you, I flew SYD-MEL on Friday and didn't even get the banana (or sliced apple pieces), just the cereal.

To me it seems like the majority of improvements are aimed more at trans con sectors in an effort to bring them inline with International services.

The return flight enhanced refreshment item was a biscuit. As in a single biscuit.

To cap off the flight it took me 40 minutes to get my car out of Qantas Valet as it was parked down at the end of the bus bays and parked in. So I had to walk down, walk back and then walk back again after getting a member of staff to find the keys for the vehicle that was blocking me. The staff at valet were too busy cracking jokes about how the next generation check in machine was a pregnancy tester and if it went green it meant you were pregnant.

Jarden S
20th November 2010, 07:51 AM
Must of been very frustrating for you mate.

Jack B
20th November 2010, 08:43 AM
As far as I know, the CSM already hosts the business class
passengers on domestic flights?

chrisb
20th November 2010, 02:20 PM
To me it seems like the majority of improvements are aimed more at trans con sectors in an effort to bring them inline with International services.

Actually, I think they're designed to be in line with what Virgin is planning to offer Trans-Con.

Qantas is just trying to keep up. Food is easier to implement than seats and IFE.

Ash W
20th November 2010, 05:23 PM
Qantas has had an enhanced domestic product on flights to the west for a number of years, so hardly trying to keep up.

If anything it is an extension of this onto shorter routes.

Jack B
20th November 2010, 06:59 PM
Despite the fact many Australians seem to love to bash Qantas, it really is true that when you look at its domestic product against those of other foreign airlines, it really is head and shoulders above the rest. Take a look at the domestic offerings within the US!

Ash W
20th November 2010, 07:16 PM
Quite true Jack. We in Australia have been spoilt for years and years, but still complain about how crap it is. Maybe if people were to go off shore and sample what else is out there they may begin to understand the real value of what the likes of Qantas do.

I have been living in Europe for the past 4 years and have flown about 60 return trips around Europe, all on full service carriers. Based on that I can say that what Qantas offers on similar length flights around Australia is MILES ahead of what is on offer around Europe in both business and economy class.

The airlines I have flown are: BA, Iberia, SAS, Croatian, BMI, Aer Lingus (yes no longer full service), Air France, SAS, Cyprus Airlines, Alitalia, Air Malta, Austrian, LOT and Malev.

Of those airlines NONE (except Cyprus on their A330's) offer any IFE what so ever on their short haul (3 hours or less) routes. Qantas at least has a video and music on most of their compareable length flights. Meals on most of the carriers is non existant at any time of day in economy, most just have a drink and a small snack.

The best of them for me in business has been SAS, followed by Iberia. Cyprus was good, but the route I flew them on was more like a SYD-PER flight so a step up again. But by comparision I have been on BA flights of the same length (LHR-Athens) and it was CRAP.

As for the US, well the less that is said about their standards the better I say.

We really are lucky to have what we have...

Craig Murray
21st November 2010, 07:29 AM
The recognition of FF's in economy was in place early last week. I flew BNE-SYD and was addressed personally after presenting my boarding pass at the gate and again once walking through the door of the aircraft.

A nice touch. Thank you Qantas!

Kelvin R
21st November 2010, 10:24 AM
If that is what they mean by personal recognition I have been having this for the last 2 years. I thought they meant something else but perhaps I am mistaken? Or is it just being extended to other FF?

Craig Murray
21st November 2010, 10:55 AM
I assume it is now being extended to all FF regardless of status.

D Chan
22nd November 2010, 11:46 PM
Food is easier to implement than seats and IFE

it is a real pity because of the ongoing delays with the 787s.. if the 787 was ontime they probably could have been flying some domestic sectors by now

Robert S
23rd November 2010, 12:40 AM
The recognition of FF's in economy was in place early last week. I flew BNE-SYD and was addressed personally after presenting my boarding pass at the gate and again once walking through the door of the aircraft.

Just out of interest, how are we defining this being "addressed personally" business?

Last time I flew Qantas (at Easter and I'm not a FF member), I was addressed as "Mr S....".

Whenever I fly DJ (and I am a Velocity member), it's always "Welcome back Robert!"

As for the overall change, I notice there are no changes to the "lunch" offering in economy in this revamp... had my whinge on that previously, so won't repeat it... http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost.php?p=45007&postcount=17

Montague S
23rd November 2010, 06:06 AM
Complimentary Bar from 4pm on all CityFlyer flights

so does that mean the Perth flights now revert to 4pm? or does it commence from noon?

Jason A
23rd November 2010, 06:10 AM
Perth Cityflyer still free bar from noon.

Crew have always recognised FF's at gate with surname and welcome back. Maybe not all do it, but most do. Qantas always use surnames. No first names.

As part of the refresh all crew in Y class are to identify&acknowledge 5 FF's at any stage of the flight.

Hope this helps answer any Q's.

Ryan K
23rd November 2010, 09:57 AM
I really hoped they improved their domestic breakfast offerings. Hate it when they only offer you cereal and a banana.

Yes, bring back the hot brekky! I can remember as a kid that smell that would come up the aisle when the flight attendents brought out the trolley. Eggs, bacon, sausages.... Sure beats a pathetic little cereal and banana.

Brad Myer
23rd November 2010, 10:15 AM
I heard that the domestic 767/737s will be getting the new style "red" economy seat covers like the 380/744?

Is this correct?

Anyone know more?

Thanks

Ryan K
23rd November 2010, 11:19 AM
I hope so. Those grey covers with the little pattern do my head in when looking at the seat in front.

Adam W
23rd November 2010, 11:44 AM
I doubt it given that the latest domestic aircraft (EBO) was delivered with the current grey petterned covers.

Dan Hammond
23rd November 2010, 12:56 PM
Is this the sign EBJ is heading off for maintenance and a paint job/cabin refit?

From Grahame's ACARS,

VH-EBJ QF0019 23/11/2010 13:30 Qantas A330-202 Sydney-Brisbane-Manila

Adam W
23rd November 2010, 01:05 PM
Is this the sign EBJ is heading off for maintenance and a paint job/cabin refit?

Yes, it is getting a shiny silver paint job with an orange star on the tail and new leather covers on the seats.

Jack B
23rd November 2010, 08:07 PM
If it showed as QF19, does that mean it was a scheduled passenger flight?

Mark B
23rd November 2010, 08:29 PM
If it showed as QF19, does that mean it was a scheduled passenger flight?

Yes, but I don't think it has a scheduled flight back....

(although it looks as the the Tuesday flights never come back....must be something duff with the timetable)

Adam W
23rd November 2010, 08:30 PM
It would appear to be a one way flight as the return QF20 does not show up on the Qantas website.

Gareth U
24th November 2010, 01:22 PM
Perth Cityflyer still free bar from noon..

To clarify, in case it is not obvious to some. Beer and wine is complimentary seven days a week on Perth Cityflyer (as opposed to Mon-Fri on EC Cityflyer) from when lunch is served and onwards. Lunch is served on flights leaving after 9am (or was it 9.30am?) on Perth Cityflyer.

I don't know why Qantas says noon when it could just say 'lunch onwards'?

D Chan
24th November 2010, 10:37 PM
Quite true Jack. We in Australia have been spoilt for years and years, but still complain about how crap it is. Maybe if people were to go off shore and sample what else is out there they may begin to understand the real value of what the likes of Qantas do...

Agreed. You may be surprised to hear but I flown Cathay SYD-HKG return last month and I honestly thought the food is not as good as those offered by Qantas (Business) domestically

Andrew M
24th November 2010, 10:51 PM
Despite the fact many Australians seem to love to bash Qantas, it really is true that when you look at its domestic product against those of other foreign airlines, it really is head and shoulders above the rest. Take a look at the domestic offerings within the US!

As a whole yes, but Virgin America has a beautiful first class product, although the white will need a lot of upkeep to ensure it lasts.

I guess this poor "new domestic experience" now gives Virgin a good chance of delivering something bigger and better to compete with Qantas.

Still not sure how using old A330's will do that though

Jeremy Ludlow
25th November 2010, 06:05 PM
I agree that QF is unfairly criticised by many people in relation to its in flight service. In fact, QF is unfairly criticised full stop. Although QF is not my favourite airline, my experiences with QF have almost always been favourable.

Admittedly I live in Perth and use QF mainly for flights to and from MEL, SYD and SIN. But the fact is that the Y class service I've had on those flights is consistently just as good as I've ever experienced on just about any other airline. What more could you reasonably ask for than that, at the prices QF charges?

Justin L
26th November 2010, 03:58 AM
Couldn't agree with you more Jeremy.

Kevin L
27th November 2010, 11:18 PM
What a freaking joke. I love QF - and I took pride in the product I delivered when I was there... but..

Business Class:

- New Neil Perry designed seasonal menu changing weekly with matching wines selected by the Qantas Wine Panel (That's new!)

- Addition of an entrée course on trans Continent and trans Tasman flights (Thats not new!)

- Customer Service Manager hosting Business Class passengers (Thats not new!)

- Silver service in the Business Cabin (Thats not new!)

- Appropriate time of day offering (i.e. antipasto platters in the afternoon) (Thats not new!)

Incorrect. Silver service was never part of the service in domestic Business at all, and if you have actually checked, the entree course on PCF and Tasman flight is a completely new offering. A full plate of salad (or soup) replaces the small side salad that was offered previously.

Gareth U
28th November 2010, 09:40 PM
- Addition of an entrée course on trans Continent and trans Tasman flights (Thats not new!)

While not 'new', the entree course was discontinued on Tasman and PCF in '04.

Everything that's old is new again :)