PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Airport potential flooding 12/Jan

BradR
11th January 2011, 03:15 PM
The floodwaters down the Brisbane River along with a king-tide means there may be some flooding at BNE airport overnight. Whether this will affect ops is unknown.

David Knudsen
11th January 2011, 08:46 PM
I daresay BNE will be affected, here is the flood map for BNE (http://lexiphanic.com/floodmaps/flooding_eagle_farm_airport_flood_flag_map.pdf), the blue shows a 1 in 100 year flood, Thursday is expected to peak more than a metre above that height.

lloyd fox
11th January 2011, 08:47 PM
The pumps have been working overtime today at BNE airport.

The ATIS earlier warned of water on aprons.

Back in 1974 the old BNE airport i recall was closed for 2 days i think, however that was located closer to Hamilton reach of the river.This airport now is closer to the Pinkenba reach of the airport.

I think we will find out by Thursday however the rains are easing now.

Bob C
11th January 2011, 10:13 PM
Hi Lloyd

I've been watching the news reports of the dreadful flooding throughout south East QLD and hope that you and all other QLD subscribers to this Board are not in danger or have suffered any losses.

It's almost impossible to believe some of the images and sadly the death toll looks set to rise significantly. And the human suffering and effects on the economy will be incalculable and it will take years to repair the mental and physical damage.

Here in the West we have temps in the high 30s and a firebug on the loose at Lake Clifton, south of Perth. The slime bag lit several fires on Monday which resulted in the loss of at least 8 houses and other extensive property damage.

Keep safe and I hope the rain starts to ease soon.

Rob R
11th January 2011, 10:18 PM
Current Flood maps show the runway, most taxiways and aprons will be clear of water, however all roads around it, including the only road in will go under if the river reaches the predicted peak. So basically the airport would be closed.

Radi K
11th January 2011, 11:18 PM
those flood maps don't account for the pure volume and also speed / flow of the predicted flood - essentially, 'IF' the BOM is right and the water levels exceeds the 74 mark, expect the airport to close. pretty scary stuff really...

fyi, the flood maps are based on 6500 cubic metres per second water flow, however the most recent hydrologist reports indicate the speed is more like 10,000 cubic metres per second .. so it will be a guessing game.

the roads near the hangers will be cut off first, likely in the next few day.

Mick F
12th January 2011, 06:32 AM
And off to work at the airport I go......

Danny Rizk
12th January 2011, 07:56 AM
Hoping the situation improves sooner than later, unfortunetly Brisbane looks like its next...

Max C
12th January 2011, 10:34 AM
Memo at work yesterday suggested that the runways would remain clear however taxiways C1,2,5,6 would possibly go under with flooding on the aprons.

Brock Little
12th January 2011, 03:38 PM
I know that a BNE Qantas Engineering employee was rung this morning and told not to bother to come to work.

Sarah C
12th January 2011, 04:43 PM
I know that a BNE Qantas Engineering employee was rung this morning and told not to bother to come to work.

I think most employees at the airport would have been told this, purely for thier own safety. If working was not essential, it is probably safer to stay home rather than leaving your home or getting stuck on the roads.

My thoughts are with everyone affected by it.

Geoff W
12th January 2011, 04:43 PM
I dont know of the airport, last time I heard they expected to maintain normals ops.

A really tragic time for SE Qld and Bne in my mind.

As has been mentioned, I also wish all our SE Qld SAMB team who I dont know. ALL the best through this event.

My sincere thoughts are with you and all of the SE and Bne.

Take care and keep well.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Brandon Giacomin
12th January 2011, 04:53 PM
There is a map of the areas that will be affected by flood waters in todays Courier Mail. And it looks like Archerfield will be pretty bad as well.

lloyd fox
13th January 2011, 03:56 PM
Just a update on things.The airport has remained open as the Brisbane airport flood was nearly a meter less than 1974.

The huge amount of helicopter movements as well as light aircraft operating through Brisbane airport yesterday meant the airport had a possible new record of approx 630 movements.This is all the more unreal as BNE-ROK would have added a further 28 movements if ROK had been open.Today is looking equally as busy.January is always Brisbane's quietest month for aircraft movements.

Arthur T
13th January 2011, 04:56 PM
Re: lloyd

Would it be due to rescue runs, television/newspaper runs as well as planes to transfer aid materials to flood affected areas?

lloyd fox
13th January 2011, 06:24 PM
Yes Arthur no doubt that would be the case.

Lloyd