PDA

View Full Version : NZ takes stake in DJ

Andrew Ewen
20th January 2011, 04:43 PM
http://tvnz.co.nz/business-news/air-nz-buys-into-virgin-blue-4003796

The company notified the Australian Stock Exchange and New Zealand Stock Exchange today that it has become a substantial shareholder in Virgin Blue, as part of a planned acquisition of a shareholding between 10% and 14.99%.

Air New Zealand Chief Executive Officer Rob Fyfe says there is no intention to make a takeover bid for Virgin Blue.

Brock Little
20th January 2011, 05:22 PM
http://tvnz.co.nz/business-news/air-nz-buys-into-virgin-blue-4003796

The company notified the Australian Stock Exchange and New Zealand Stock Exchange today that it has become a substantial shareholder in Virgin Blue, as part of a planned acquisition of a shareholding between 10% and 14.99%.

Air New Zealand Chief Executive Officer Rob Fyfe says there is no intention to make a takeover bid for Virgin Blue.

Makes sense!

VBA shares went up by four cents (10%) today - very good!

Brian Wilkes
20th January 2011, 05:54 PM
Look out another Ansett is going to happen here!

Brock Little
20th January 2011, 06:11 PM

Let's hope not :/

Michael Morrison
20th January 2011, 06:41 PM

I don't think so. Virgin Blue is not the basket case Ansett was and Air NZ is a totally different company than it was 10 years ago.

Raymond Rowe
20th January 2011, 07:11 PM
I don't think so. Virgin Blue is not the basket case Ansett was and Air NZ is a totally different company than it was 10 years ago.

An expert on airlines.

Steve Bottom
20th January 2011, 07:24 PM
We DJ have 737s and ANZ use A320 so the Kiwis are not going to pinch these engines.....

Grahame Hutchison
20th January 2011, 07:30 PM
I thought Airbus were going to re-engine the A320, not Air New Zealand !

Jarden S
20th January 2011, 07:32 PM
I had a feeling that after the agreement was approved by the ACCC and the NZCC. That Air NZ would buy into VB as it is now an attractive buy especially that the share price is so low at the moment. The next step will be for the Virgin group to join star alliance which will complete the picture with the re-branding to roll out later in the year.

Brock Little
20th January 2011, 08:57 PM
I had a feeling that after the agreement was approved by the ACCC and the NZCC. That Air NZ would buy into VB as it is now an attractive buy especially that the share price is so low at the moment. The next step will be for the Virgin group to join star alliance which will complete the picture with the re-branding to roll out later in the year.

It is likely they will, given Richard Branson's desire to have Virgin Atlantic join a global alliance by the end of this year.

D Chan
20th January 2011, 09:29 PM
it's more of a strategic move I think,

It is likely they will, given Richard Branson's desire to have Virgin Atlantic join a global alliance by the end of this year.

they won't join oneworld so we can easily discount that. So in the end it comes down to Star Alliance or Skyteam. I think they will join Star Alliance.

Steve Jones
21st January 2011, 10:37 AM
I would not be surprised to see VS, EY and DJ all join Star in the next 1-2 years.

Jack Melon
21st January 2011, 10:54 AM
I was actually reading in a online article that star alliance actually asked vb to join them becuause of there new alliances, there new major overhaul and re-design and planes etc. So will be a very intresting year at vb :)

Michael Dawson
21st January 2011, 11:59 AM
It would make sense if they join star alliance. But you have to think if the approval with Delta goes ahead they are Skyteam, there is already a huge Star Alliance presense in the USA with United/Continetial merger. I would say either of the two, if they choose Skyteam maybe Air NZ would jump to Skyteam who knows.

Regards

Michael

Dave Dale
21st January 2011, 07:59 PM
I'm interested to see whether in the future we could see an agreement to 'bulk order' aircraft between the two airlines in the future such as the one announced previously between Jetstar and Air Asia. I realise that Air New Zealand have gone the way of the A320 (with their recent order) and Virgin has their B737's and over 40 to be delivered still. As things are getting a lot closer between Air new Zealand and Virgin Blue, might this occur aswell?

Dave

Jarden S
22nd January 2011, 12:49 PM
They could do a bulk wide body 777/787 order for international expansion for both NZ and DJ. While the narrow body types will remain different in the meantime.

Grant Smith
22nd January 2011, 01:20 PM
I was actually reading in a online article that star alliance actually asked vb to join them becuause of there new alliances, there new major overhaul and re-design and planes etc. So will be a very intresting year at vb :)

Got a link to this article? I'd be interested to read it..

Jack Melon
22nd January 2011, 02:17 PM

No sorry, but if you want i think it was either the herald sun, age or soething, it was around december when i read it. Cause i type virgin blue in the news section every day in google and then past 24 hours and i read the articles so good luck finding it.

Sorry about that.

Damian N
22nd January 2011, 02:21 PM
I'm interested to see whether in the future we could see an agreement to 'bulk order' aircraft between the two airlines in the future such as the one announced previously between Jetstar and Air Asia.

When the alliances first commenced this was one of the things often mentioned however I believe there has been very very limited "bulk ordering" of aircraft through alliances or "minority" investments. Bulk orders I seem to have read about seem to be only where carriers are either 100% subsidiaries or very close to 100% (ie control).

Even the much-touted Jestatr and Air Asia is only a concept and as much about commonising design and to my knowledge they have not actually made a "bulk order" and if they do it will be many years down the track.

The difficulty with "bulk orders" is not only do you need to have relatively common needs but also a relatively common timeframe about delivery and a pretty much identical timeframe about when to commit to the orders. Unfortunately, outside the parent/subsidiary relationship, getting all these elements in sync at the correct time is very difficult.

Sean W
22nd January 2011, 02:31 PM

Star Alliance trains sights on Aussie airline

December 17, 2010
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/star-alliance-trains-sights-on-aussie-airline/story-e6frg95x-1225972284578

Star Alliance Courts Virgin Blue
December 14 2010
http://atwonline.com/international-aviation-regulation/news/star-alliance-courts-virgin-blue-1213