PDA

View Full Version : Qantas computer says no to heavy bags

Ryan N
25th January 2011, 08:04 AM
Qantas computer says no to heavy bags
By Steve Creedy
January 25, 2011 12:00AM

THE days of Qantas check-in staff turning a blind eye to overweight bags are numbered after a crackdown made possible by the airline's new self-service check-in technology.

Qantas domestic economy passengers used to sneaking a few extra kilos into their checked luggage will instead find themselves facing a computer demanding a $20 "heavy fee" from June 1.

While the new fee replaces a more onerous $10-per-kilo excess baggage charge, technology allows it to be more easily policed and means it will be more consistently applied.

The next-generation check-in system, designed to slash queueing times and being rolled out nationally, means passengers now weigh and label their cases before taking them to a bag drop.

Bronze frequent flyers, and those who do not belong to the Qantas loyalty program, will not get their boarding pass until they cough up the additional charge for bags sitting between the 23kg free limit and the 32kg maximum allowable weight per suitcase.

A Qantas spokeswoman said there would be some flexibility in the system but would not reveal what kind of error factor it would allow.

The flying kangaroo is also changing to a piece-based baggage system that will also slug many travellers $30 if they turn up at the airport with a second suitcase and another $60 if they have a third.

They will be able to halve those charges by booking in advance using the airline's website and they will still be better off than passengers on airlines such as Jetstar and Tiger, which charge for the first piece of luggage.

Silver, Gold and Qantas Club members travelling in economy will be limited to one suitcase but a 32kg allowance will allow them to avoid the heavy fee.

Top-tier platinum members will be able to take two pieces of luggage each weighing 32kg.

And upper-tier frequent-flyer members can look forward to more generous allowances when they travel in business class.

Silver and Gold members travelling in business can take two pieces of luggage each weighing 32kg, rather than a combination of cases to a maximum limit of 40kg.

Ryan K
25th January 2011, 08:55 AM
And the Jetstarisation continues.....

Not that long ago you could take 32kg for free. Now, it's 23kg and if you're just 1kg over this it's a $20 fee!

Paul McFarlane
25th January 2011, 01:10 PM
But on the other side, you could be 5kg over and still only pay $20 and not $50!:)

Erik H. Bakke
25th January 2011, 01:35 PM
So in order words if you're going to be over, you'd better do it in a spectacular fashion :D

Ash W
25th January 2011, 05:36 PM
And the Jetstarisation continues.....

Not that long ago you could take 32kg for free. Now, it's 23kg and if you're just 1kg over this it's a $20 fee!

You could also say that Qantas are changing their practices to suit modern business and airline practice.

Matt_L
25th January 2011, 11:18 PM
Was over by 4kg the other day with Virgin and didn't get charged.... yet have been charged flying QF Business when ive been over:rolleyes:

Ash W
26th January 2011, 12:01 AM
Matt, who knows tomorrow you could be flying Virgin and get charged and fly Qantas in economy and you won't get charged. It's all about luck of the draw and how 'sorry for you' (or lazy) the agent feels.

Of course this is part of the thinking behind new gen check-in. It takes away some of the human uncertainy and applies the rules in black and white. Clearly a much fairer system.

Cam L
26th January 2011, 12:03 AM
So in order words if you're going to be over, you'd better do it in a spectacular fashion :D

Yes you hit the nail right on the head there. Oh and jetstarization is such a good word. So am i hearing this right, a national rollout from june?

Matt_L
26th January 2011, 12:24 AM
Fair call Ash just was what I experienced - I agree tho it would vary ..

Zac S
26th January 2011, 09:35 AM
If you are weighing and labeling the bags yourself wouldn't each be just as easy to remove some heavy items from your bag, weigh it and then put the items back in?

Just a thought

Todd Milton
26th January 2011, 03:39 PM
If you are weighing and labeling the bags yourself wouldn't each be just as easy to remove some heavy items from your bag, weigh it and then put the items back in?

Just a thought

Impossible. The system gets the weight of your bag after it is tagged and is on the drop off belt. You cannot add or remove anything from the bag without the system knowing.

From what I was told the system ask's before it sends it off for a bag more than 23kg (Like an agent will ask, is there anything you can take out of the bag or leave with a friend), however I have not had a heavy bag on Next Gen yet, and do not plan on having one (So I do not know its exact prompts).

Kelvin R
27th January 2011, 07:38 AM
I don't quite understand what the issue is here. QF baggage allowance is clearly posted to its website and all they are doing is now choosing to enforce this.

Just out of interest is there a major airline globally who has not chosen to start enforcing checked baggage limits and therefore started charging for this? From what I can tell QF is one of the last carriers to do this, not one of the first. QF also has some very generous exceptions to its limits for international PAX and Frequent Flyers.

This is not a Jetstar model in any way shape or form, as with Jetstar you pay $15 per kg that you are over 20 kg if you choose to pay to check a bag at all. It amazes me how quickly some people like to blame Jetstar for things, simply because it supports a limited frame of reference. It is not JQ's fault that airlines are now largely caught in a race to the bottom, it is the fault of passengers who want low fares and will therefore sacrifice things like baggage allowances. While QF may be the only legacy carrier to successfully start a LCC it sure didn't come up with the model.

Interestingly enough Southwest who really are the true pioneers of LCC are moving away from additional fees and charges as a method of enticing PAX away from the legacy carriers in the US.

Doesn't EK split the additional revenue from excess baggage with the ground staff in an effort to encourage collection?

Ash W
27th January 2011, 07:04 PM
Very well put Kelvin, in particular the bit about people wanting low fares. To me it seems that a legacy airline cannot win. If they keep everything the same they get hounded because their fares are too high, which of course are to cover their costs. If they reduce the fares to be more competative then clearly the customer must loose something and yet again they complain.

Of all the carriers I have flown with I have constantly found that they have the best mix of product and compromise. Qantas is streets ahead of most similar carriers, yet for some reason unfairly always gets compared to SQ and EK in particular which operate in comletely different ways.