PDA

View Full Version : Qantas plane plunges over 20,000 feet during Melbourne-bound flight

Ryan N
25th January 2011, 10:23 AM
Qantas plane plunges over 20,000 feet during Melbourne-bound flight
By Wes Hosking
January 25, 2011 11:12AM

A MELBOURNE-bound Qantas flight reportedly plunged 20,000 feet during a mid-air drama this morning.

Worried passengers were reportedly told to put on oxygen masks during the incident aboard this morning's flight.

A passenger, who declined to be named, said the scare occurred shortly after flight QF670 left Adelaide about 6.10am.

He said the captain announced the precaution was being taken because the plane's air conditioning system had failed.

"All of the oxygen masks dropped down,'' the passenger said.

"The captain came across and said 'This is an emergency'.''

The plane reportedly descended from over 30,000 to about 10,000 feet.

Passengers were forced to keep masks on for about five minutes, the passenger said.

"Everyone had to breathe into them until the plane dropped,'' he said.

"Most people were pretty worried because you do not know what is going on really.

"It's not pleasant that is for sure.''

The flight arrived in Melbourne safely just before 8am (AEDT).

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/flight-scare-for-qantas-passengers/story-e6frfku0-1225994136257#ixzz1C0BQN2L9

Cam L
25th January 2011, 11:06 AM
Jeepers that is scary!!!

Any details on what aircraft was involved. Probably a 737-800 or -400.

Hate to be on that plane...............

Torin Wilson
25th January 2011, 11:13 AM
This sounds more like a decompression issue - masks on and a sudden descent to 10K ft, and being told about air con issue...

Still, no thanks to that experience!

Jack B
25th January 2011, 11:15 AM
Oh, god - "Plunged"?

Emergency descent.

Steve S... 2
25th January 2011, 11:22 AM
It was one of those p.o.s. 737-400's.

Trevor Sinclair
25th January 2011, 11:38 AM
I got this from a Radio colleague in MEL, they may have been deployed but nobody appears to be wearing the masks...

Mark B
25th January 2011, 11:44 AM
I got this from a Radio colleague in MEL, they may have been deployed but nobody appears to be wearing the masks...

Maybe they'd taken them off after getting down to 10000ft?

Rob R
25th January 2011, 11:48 AM
SOP for most companies is once at 10000' Capt would make a PA advising masks no longer required, so I would guess the pic was taken once they were at 10000 or below.

Oliver Gigacz
25th January 2011, 12:16 PM
The aircraft involved was VH-TJH (Boeing 737-476), delivered to Australian Airlines in October 1990.

Ryan K
25th January 2011, 12:20 PM
I can't beleive Qantas are still flying aircraft nearly 21 years of age.... :eek:

Jack B
25th January 2011, 12:48 PM
I can't beleive Qantas are still flying aircraft nearly 21 years of age.... :eek:

Until recently Delta/Northwest were flying DC-9's from the late 60s very efficiently.

Sarah C
25th January 2011, 12:49 PM

The oldest 767 flying with QF was delivered in 1988, same the 747's. Age is not an issue if they are well maintained.

Robert S
25th January 2011, 01:10 PM
...if they are well maintained.

Which is of course the flavour of the month in reporting... and before we all beat up the media again, they are right to be asking the questions (it's only when they make up hysterical answers to these questions that they are in the wrong).

Dave Dale
25th January 2011, 02:04 PM
The oldest 767 flying with QF was delivered in 1988, same the 747's. Age is not an issue if they are well maintained.

As much as I love Qantas and I do, what the average passenger see most of the time when they board a Qantas 767, 747 or 737 (except those on the Tasman) is a dated aircraft with dated interiors and to some extent, probably a sense of nostalgia. I have often wondered how long can Qantas go without taking some measures to get new aircraft in the fleet faster. I know they have the 787's on order and that's great, but if the first delivery for the 787 in Qantas colours is still some three to four years away, surely Qantas management know that these dated aircraft will drive customers somewhere else. I believe that for the general public, most fly on aesthetics, the feel and look of the aircraft and its interiors. The poor old 737-400's, they have served us well and will continue to do so until they are replaced. But in the meantime, their ages get greater and their product becomes more dated.

Dave

Geoff W
25th January 2011, 02:58 PM
A real scare story! Right!!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/flight-scare-for-qantas-passengers/story-e6frf7kx-1225994110664

Not the REAL reason I posted it.

I agree with Dave and Sarah.

It is probably more of a concern of what is this doing to the QF brand?

This I assume will be on all the tv news sites tonight and papers tomorrow.

I not for one minute believe it would be a pleasant experience, I also dont believe that these events wont happen at times.

QF have had more than their share of bad luck in recent times, it is becoming a real negative. Which is very unfortunate and damaging to the business.

I have had several people (just a few) mention to me they wouldnt fly QF cause of what they have heard in recent times.

I think that is stupid.

However, just in my small world, it's a few lost international pax.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Ash W
25th January 2011, 05:33 PM
As much as I love Qantas and I do, what the average passenger see most of the time when they board a Qantas 767, 747 or 737 (except those on the Tasman) is a dated aircraft with dated interiors and to some extent, probably a sense of nostalgia. I have often wondered how long can Qantas go without taking some measures to get new aircraft in the fleet faster. I know they have the 787's on order and that's great, but if the first delivery for the 787 in Qantas colours is still some three to four years away, surely Qantas management know that these dated aircraft will drive customers somewhere else. I believe that for the general public, most fly on aesthetics, the feel and look of the aircraft and its interiors. The poor old 737-400's, they have served us well and will continue to do so until they are replaced. But in the meantime, their ages get greater and their product becomes more dated.

Dave

What do you want Qantas management to do? They had a plan to replace the older 747's, it's called the A380, the first of which was delivered 2-3 years behind schedule so of course there are going to be 747's that they have kept longer than they wanted to. Yes their interiors are dated a little, but through cabin upgrades etc they are almost as good as any new aircraft out there in terms of passenger comfort, amenity and of course safety.

They have a plan to replace the 767's. These are things called A330's, which have been progressively introduced over the past few years, on time and of course we have the 787's which by the time they make it to the fleet will be delayed by a good few years. Again what can Qantas do to help counter the delay of the 787? Do they go an lease in some aircraft on a temporary basis? If so where do they go? What age aircraft do you think they would get on short term lease?

They have plans to replace the 737-400's, these things called 737-800's have been coming in regularly since 2002. Not sure what you mean that the 737's except on the Tasman look dated, I for one certainly don't think the 30+ 737-800's flying domestically looked all that dated.

Now sure there are some old aircraft in the fleet, but by the same token there are HEAPS of new aircraft too. By my calculation about half the fleet is under 8 years old with a plan to introduce many new aircraft over the next 5 years or so.

AdamC
25th January 2011, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know of any other incidents in the world today involving aircraft or was QANTAS the only one that had an aircraft have a problem occur to it. What a load of crap, if people don't let the media know about these things it would never get printed.

God i love the media.

My two cents worth.

Shayne G
25th January 2011, 05:39 PM

Qantas generally retires their aircraft when they reach 23 years old or around there. So expect this aircraft to withdrawn from use in the next 2 or 3 years.

When I heard about this incident I thought it was that Perth Incident being reported again for some strange reason. I can't help but wonder how the media is going to spin this story.

Jack B
25th January 2011, 05:42 PM
VH-OGG a few weeks back didn't look at all that bad on the inside! Quite refreshed actually.

The younger VH-OGR looked quite dated with the old blue bulkheads and Dreamtime seats, however the economy cabin had the honeycomb seat fabrics. I didn't know any of the Dreamtime 767s got the honeycomb seats until I walked down the aisle! Maybe it's just -OGR?

Mark B
25th January 2011, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know of any other incidents in the world today involving aircraft or was QANTAS the only one that had an aircraft have a problem occur to it. What a load of crap, if people don't let the media know about these things it would never get printed.

The Aviation Herald (http://www.avherald.com/) is an eye opener with regard to incidents (and I'd say there are plenty that don't make it there either)

Dave Dale
25th January 2011, 06:01 PM
What do you want Qantas management to do? They had a plan to replace the older 747's, it's called the A380, the first of which was delivered 2-3 years behind schedule so of course there are going to be 747's that they have kept longer than they wanted to. Yes their interiors are dated a little, but through cabin upgrades etc they are almost as good as any new aircraft out there in terms of passenger comfort, amenity and of course safety.

They have a plan to replace the 767's. These are things called A330's, which have been progressively introduced over the past few years, on time and of course we have the 787's which by the time they make it to the fleet will be delayed by a good few years. Again what can Qantas do to help counter the delay of the 787? Do they go an lease in some aircraft on a temporary basis? If so where do they go? What age aircraft do you think they would get on short term lease?

They have plans to replace the 737-400's, these things called 737-800's have been coming in regularly since 2002. Not sure what you mean that the 737's except on the Tasman look dated, I for one certainly don't think the 30+ 737-800's flying domestically looked all that dated.

Now sure there are some old aircraft in the fleet, but by the same token there are HEAPS of new aircraft too. By my calculation about half the fleet is under 8 years old with a plan to introduce many new aircraft over the next 5 years or so.

Thanks Ash and I understand the point you make and you are right on a lot of the issues you point out. My concern is not the aircraft but the perception gained by those regular travellers who really don't understand what aircraft they fly on but do take note of the interior of the aircraft and the contrast between the aircraft that have all the 'bells and whistles' such as PTV's and in-seat power (which is why I singled out the 737-800's on the Tasman) and the ones that don't (these are just one example). When people see that Virgin Blue have these inflight 'comforts' and I use them as an example, Air New Zealand is another, I am sure flyers ask themselves the question, where is Qantas at in this regard. My overall point is that although Qantas are replacing aircraft and have their plans, the competition are aswell and are investing in their product. No matter what anyone says, a 20 year old aircraft is not an 8 year old aircraft and my previous post was about aesthetics, the look and feel of an aircraft.

And furthermore, the incident which happened today was very unfortunate, but a serious one nonetheless. Sometimes being the flag carrier can be a hinderance than a help because everything that occurs will always get publicity and almost more than the issue at hand deserves. However, today's incident probably, dare I say, deserves some coverage because it is serious and those 99 people on board I imagine felt at the time it occurred, only the worst thought.

Dave

Robert S
25th January 2011, 10:08 PM

Are you implying that a decompression event with an emergency descent happens every day?

Robert S
25th January 2011, 10:19 PM
It is probably more of a concern of what is this doing to the QF brand?

This I assume will be on all the tv news sites tonight and papers tomorrow.

Put it this way - half my team is heading down to Melbourne soon for a vendor conference. The news of this incident reminded then that they still needed to book their travel and not only did this prompt them to get the wheels in motion, but they also insisted on flying Virgin Blue. I'm sure this kind of mindset will play out elsewhere.

The way our travel policy works, it wasn't too hard for them to push for that either.

QF have had more than their share of bad luck in recent times, it is becoming a real negative. Which is very unfortunate and damaging to the business.

Once you start having a statistically unlikely run of incidents, it is fair to start asking questions. I do appreciate though that in today's world, it's extremely difficult to get the answers and we certainly won't get them from the media.

David Ramsay
26th January 2011, 07:09 AM
Rapid controlled descent = plunged?

Oh yes, this is the media. :rolleyes:

AdamC
26th January 2011, 07:30 AM
Robert,

i'm implying that emergencies in aircraft happen everyday across the world.

I see emergencies just about everyday at work and why don't they make the media, cause they don't need to know about them.