PDA

View Full Version : Cathay/JAL seating Help

Jason A
11th February 2011, 04:21 PM
Hi all,

Am hoping to fly CX SYD-HKG-CDG but have heard nothing but bad reports about their economy seats. Have checked their website and have seen the refitting of the fleet has commenced and it appears that all 744 are now in the new config with impressive looking Y class seats. The website also shows that only 2 A330's have the new refit which means that I would think the old config would be the 330's they use to SYD ?

Has anyone experienced the new CX Y class seats ? Comments/Opinions welcomed !!

Other option was to maybe fly JAL SYD-NRt-CDG ....but have heard their 777's don't have IFE in every seat :(

Jacob P
11th February 2011, 04:56 PM
Give Korean a go cheap and reasonable ok.

Jason A
11th February 2011, 06:57 PM
thanks but was kinda hoping on responses relating to the questions i posted as can only fly CX or JL

Zac M
11th February 2011, 07:16 PM
I flew JAL to NRT in 2009 on JA706J and 707J and they both have seatback. It is a system called 'Magic III'. The system was pretty good, the seat was okay, my advice would be to try and get the window in the last two rows as there is only two seats there.

I would recommended eating at NRT before departure as the food out of there is pretty bad.

D Chan
11th February 2011, 11:07 PM
I've flown on the CX new Y seats once - couldn't get a minute of sleep at all due to crying baby nearby and the uncomfortable hard shell seat. If it's not an overnight seat - it's fine.

Basically it's not a true 'recline' as it slides you down, it's a bit like slouching...

independent market research have indicated that passengers consistently hated the seat - hence the reason for CX to introduce new economy seats and fitting the existing ones on the regional fleet

Andrew P
12th February 2011, 09:38 AM
I'm confused are you taking about the hard-backs seats as shown or their website or the traditional soft back as most other airlines have?

its the hard back seats that they are getting out of the long distance flights, and i thought the 747 ones are not being replaced, as they are gong ntop the 777 & A330's

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_AU/whatonboard/neweconomyclass

these are the crap seats

Kelvin R
12th February 2011, 12:59 PM
The JAL 772 used on long haul routes have PTV's in Y and all now also seem to be fitted with Y+. On my recent SYD-NRT flight an at airport upgrade from Y to Y+ was $250 for SYD-NRT one way. Personally I found the catering out of NRT to be fine however it seems that JAL only do a single meal service on most flights. So on SYD-NRT was only 1 meal and likewise NRT-SIN.

I wouldn't go out of my way to fly JAL these days and wouldn't choose them over CX, Magic has quite a limited selection compared to what is offered by other airlines. Even DL has more content.

Havent tried the fixed back CX seat but my understanding is SYD-HKG uses the long haul 333 aircraft, not the regional 333. A quick look at the seatmap in business confirms this.

Have you considered Finnair to CDG as a one world alternative?