PDA

View Full Version : More QF A380 issues?

Trevor Sinclair
18th February 2011, 05:42 PM
I was alerted to this article in the SMH this afternoon.
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/new-problem-hits-qantas-a380-engine-20110218-1az5z.html Perhaps someone on the board knows more about this...

Jason H
18th February 2011, 07:43 PM
Aircraft was VH-OQC. I wonder if the engine affected was one of the new engines recently replaced.

Jason H
6th March 2011, 11:37 PM
Was just looking through the ATSB website, and along with the VH-OQC idle thrust incident on Feb15, an identical problem occured on VH-OQG just 9 days later. Anyone have any details as to this engine problem?

Robert S
7th March 2011, 12:29 AM
This article (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/a380-engine-inspections-may-be-doing-more-harm-than-good-20110305-1biip.html) on Saturday implied that things were not being put back together properly after inspections and as such the rate of inspections was now introducing more risk than it was removing.

The actual AD cancellation is here: http://casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/airworth/airwd/ADfiles/TURBINE/RB211/2010-0242_CN.pdf

Jason H
8th March 2011, 01:36 PM
I've heard the same Chris. Back in late November I heard that OQA was a write off. What I am fairly certain of however, is that Qantas are not taking it back.

If you saw the 60 minutes episode on QF32, which aired early Feb, and assuming it was filmed shortly before airing, you can see that no repairs have been made.

Fred C
8th March 2011, 02:03 PM
It will be repaired. Airbus have to create a repair scheme for the damage. You understand that it is a new aircraft and all damage scenarios have not been considered. This is not like your car. The repair they do will have to last for many thousands of hours and cycles.

When Boeing and Qantas repaired OJH in BKK it wasn't as though this was the first time a 747 had overrun a runway. They had a lot of previous experience. OJH is still a very good aircraft and just as reliable as the rest of the fleet.:D

Kelvin R
8th March 2011, 05:09 PM
Wouldn't that be more of a reason to write the aircraft off? I am not looking for an argument but actually wondering. Surely the last thing Airbus and QF would want is for further issues post repair? Given an estimated repair cost if reports are to be believed of $100m then if aircraft get assessed like cars then this must be very close to a write off? I am basing this on the repairs being perhaps half the airplane (excluding fittings and engines) purchase price. Unlike BKK there is no interest in QF saving this one and the plane could be quietly WFU with RR taking the blame?

Do insurance companies offer new for old replacement if you write your airplane off in the first 2 years of ownership?

Fred C
8th March 2011, 07:19 PM
No thats not a good reason to write it off. When they do a repair it will be a good one thats why they are taking their time thinking about it.

Exactly like BKK it is not a reason to write it off because it will cost $100m (Your estimate) to repair. Sure it might eat into the price of a new aircraft, but, how long do you have to wait to get the new aircraft. There is a long list of airlines waiting for their new aeroplanes. Not like a car company where they just order another from the storage yard. It would be several years before they see the replacement. OQA is slated to be returned to service by the last quarter of 2011. A much faster option.:D

Fred C
8th March 2011, 07:40 PM
The following is a post from PPRune. It sounds like a true statement to me.

In the interest of clearing up the speculation....

Airbus have a proposal on the table and this is about to be signed by Qantas, once the amount of the deposit and some contract wording has been agreed. The repairs will be carried out in Singapore and it will take some time before the first rivet is drilled out, maybe another month or so. The Insurance companies (there is more than one) are ready with the funds. Airbus is ready, willing and able to do the structural work. The issue between RR and Qantas and Insurers is completely separate and has nothing to do with the repairs to the aircraft.

The total repair costs are substantial but the aircraft is no where near a write off, or more correctly a CTL. Don't know what that means? Look it up.

CTL=Constructive Total Loss

Zac M
8th March 2011, 10:02 PM
There are rumours floating around that the manufacturer wants VH-OQA to be written off, and that no repairs have commenced as yet.

May sound like a stupid question, but, why would the manufacturer want to write off one of their flagships?

Michael Rychter
9th March 2011, 06:41 PM
I hope the Discovery Channel (or National Geographc) films the repair.

Philip Argy
15th October 2011, 07:45 PM
QF32 departure from LHR has been delayed an hour at this stage according to the flight info display - no announcement (or SMS!) as yet. Hopefully we'll make up time between LHR and SIN so as not to be too late into SYD tomorrow night.

By the way, I noticed on the way over that the triple-segment outer ailerons on the A380 don't move in unison but in a Mexican wave pattern - does anyone know if there's a design reason for that? I've never noticed it on any other a/c. I'll upload some video of the action when I get home.

Matt_L
15th October 2011, 08:03 PM
Philip,

I could be wrong (happy to be corrected) but QF31 was delayed out of Sydney yesterday hence late arrival today in Lhr affecting your flight.

Reason- unsure, could be the striking ? Was a hefty delay though - didn't depart till 10pm!

Philip Argy
15th October 2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks, Matt - if it's simply turnaround delay caused by the late inbound then hopefully the delay won't extend.

Jason H
15th October 2011, 10:45 PM
VH-OQF has been out of action the last few days, so that has led to QF31 being delayed on Thurs and Fri. Also, VH-OJL operated QF11 today.

I noticed this too when I flew on the A380. It looks like the ailerons are flapping which is quite an interesting sight on takeoff. As far as i know, it is part of the design to disperse the force created from its deflection; to make it more comfortable and a more gentle and stabilised roll.

Philip Argy
17th October 2011, 05:41 AM
34 hours of travelling from leaving my hotel in Geneva to walking in the door at home in Sydney. But actually, considering OQD left Sydney 5 hours late on Friday we did quite well to be only 90 minutes late back into SYD last night. Thank you Fergus!

I'll upload some video (or perhaps just a link to it) of the unusual aileron movement when I get a chance during the week. What I didn't get a photo of was the surprising amount of ice build up when speed brakes have been deployed. Even after landing in Singapore where it was 30 degrees it took more than 5 minutes for the ice to clear from the centre top of the wing, and in Sydney tonight there was still a lot of ice on top of the wings after we'd parked and deplaned. I hadn't noticed it travelling west but perhaps I was on the lookout for it having seen it in Singapore. Has anyone else noticed the phenomenon?

Jason H
17th October 2011, 06:28 AM
The ice forms when descending from cold altitudes into warm and moist air. The wing remains quite cold and condensation forms over the fuel tanks. I too
Noticed this after landing in a quite warm LA.

Philip Argy
17th October 2011, 06:47 AM
Is it the large surface area of the wing that makes this phenomenon most noticeable on the A380? I can't say I've noticed more than a glisten on other aircraft.