PDA

View Full Version : Scanning ex-Japan aircraft for radiation

Dan Warne
15th March 2011, 01:59 PM
Apparently Lufthansa has started scanning all aircraft leaving Japan for signs of radiation. Has anyone heard anything about Jetstar or Qantas doing this?

Lufthansa says it has found no evidence of radiation so far, but it is an interesting move, considering the extent of the nuclear plant problems in Japan post earthquake/tsunami.

Geoff W
15th March 2011, 04:12 PM
I think it is far too early yet to make such calls.

Notwithstanding the situation is nothing less than serious.

I feel very sorry for the people of Japan that have to endure -2 degrees over the next few nights, that I am aware of.

How on earth, you can work your way through this MESS, astounds me.

Where do you start?

Kind regards,

Geoff

Ash W
16th March 2011, 04:10 PM
I think it is far too early yet to make such calls.

Notwithstanding the situation is nothing less than serious.

I feel very sorry for the people of Japan that have to endure -2 degrees over the next few nights, that I am aware of.

How on earth, you can work your way through this MESS, astounds me.

Where do you start?

Kind regards,

Geoff

Well they do have experiance on what to do. Not a good situation.

Hugh Jarse
16th March 2011, 04:24 PM
Ash,
I'd hardly say that having 2 weapons exploded over 2 of their cities in 1945 amounts to "experience" (if that's what you're referring to).

A huge amount of the initial recovery was only done successfully with the assistance of foreign countries. One being the BCOF (of which my father was a member and worked in Hiroshima from 1946-48.

Perhaps you meant lessons learned from Chernobyl?

Ash W
16th March 2011, 04:31 PM
No that is what I was referring to, and yes whilst the situations are completely different the point is the same that they have experience at handling both nuclear disasters and devastation both of which they are unfortunately currently experiencing.