PDA

View Full Version : Stealthy Super Hornet.

Jaryd stock
24th March 2011, 08:07 PM
Boeing unveiled a engineered mockup of the new key features on a Rhino at Airshow India Bangalore in Febuary, superfically similar to the Silent Eagle although Boeing is keen to say that it's very different from there F-15SE, that was heavliy focused on signiture mangement and low observible features, the new Rhinos are alredy based around stealth tec. So Boeing is keen to surgest that it's new product is much different than the F-15SE and much more stealthier than it considering that the block II Rhino's are already believed to enjoy a similar level of stealth that the modified Silent Eagle.

Boeing in early 2008 outlined to the USN, USMC, and RAAF what it called a block III upgrade proposal with a reduced frontal aspect radar cross section and extended range. The obvious question that comes to mind is although the RAAF is commited to the F-35 and to opperate 3-4 Squadrens of the fighter, if there is any more delays to the program will the Block III upgrade be taken up by the RAAF, and will they keep there 12 Growler wired Rhino's or all of the 24 aircraft and add these upgrades to them and commit to 3 Squads of F-35's and 1-2 Squads of Rhino/Growler's if the RAAF needs them or can use them ?

A McLaughlin
25th March 2011, 08:22 AM
Read all about it in the April issue of Australian Aviation! :D

Will H
25th March 2011, 11:02 AM
Boeing says the upgrade could be available on line production aircraft as early as 2015 and also available as a retrofit at some point on Block II aircraft.

That time frame along with F-35 uncertainty probably means no one knows the answer but possibilities, like the ones you raised, are being considered.

FYI for those who want to see the proposed upgrades, we produced a video and some pics back in Feb at Bangalore.
Video: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/02/09/352926/aero-india-video-boeing-reveals-advanced-super-hornet-options.html
Pics: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/asian-skies/2011/02/aero-india-slideshow-boeings-a.html

Bernie P
3rd May 2013, 02:38 PM
Sorry to bring this back up from the archives.... BUT...

MUCH of what the Growler can do remains top secret.
Officially named the Boeing EA-18G Growler, this very advanced variant of the Super Hornet should be gracing the flight line at RAAF bases by the end of the decade.

Under the plan outlined in the new Defence White Paper, the RAAF will acquire 12 new-built Growlers.

That will make a fleet of 36 Super Hornets and 71 of the ageing F/A-18 classic Hornets, which are likely to be retired as the even more advanced Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter enters service from 2020.

So what's a Growler?

It's an aircraft configured for electronic warfare, though many of its capabilities remain classified.

It can certainly jam hostile radars and communications or even mobile phone systems. It can target enemy radars with homing missiles. It has an unspecified capability for electronic attack, the ability to spoof or even destroy enemy electronic systems.

This is done through a series of high-powered jammer pods carried under the aircraft wings.

The current model, the ALQ-99, dates from the later years of the Vietnam war and has a number of shortcomings, including poor reliability.

A new model is under development and will likely be operational around 2020.

Growler is in service with the US Navy and was used most recently in the campaign in Libya.

Australia has long been interested in the aircraft.

The former coalition government ordered 24 Super Hornets in 2007 as a hedge against delays in arrival of the JSF.

In 2009, Labor decided 12 would be wired for Growler during production to facilitate eventual acquisition of the full capability.

Last August, the government announced it would proceed with a deal worth $1.5 billion.

At the time, RAAF chief Air Marshal Geoff Brown said it would probably represent the biggest strategic increase in Australian Defence Force (ADF) capability since the arrival of the F-111 strike bomber.

Source: News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/top-secret-growler-warplane-bound-for-raaf/story-e6frfku9-1226634706384#ixzz2SCXKez8R)

A McLaughlin
6th May 2013, 10:35 AM
...it would probably represent the biggest strategic increase in Australian Defence Force (ADF) capability since the arrival of the F-111 strike bomber.

Assuming they have adequate crews to fly them, they have adequate simulators and ranges to develop the EWOs, and they adequately funding for the operations and sustainment budgets!

Maurie S
7th May 2013, 08:37 AM
Hi.
I'm new and just finding my way around.

I would like to hear your opinion on why we muck around with the JSF in particular, when we could have Sukhoi.

Cheers. Maurie.

Jaryd stock
7th May 2013, 11:22 AM
Maurie it's called politics and our allegiance is with the US, and not Russia. The JSF once tweaked right will be a great aircraft, we have force multipliers now to support our strategic assets and Growlers will fit just nicley into Supporting all sorts of things. The RAAF got what they wanted from this white paper and the right decision was made...

A McLaughlin
7th May 2013, 11:39 AM
I would like to hear your opinion on why we muck around with the JSF in particular, when we could have Sukhoi.

Yeah, why buy a Lexus when you could have a Lada!?

Maurie S
7th May 2013, 12:06 PM
Thank you Gentlemen.

I was curious because I stumbled on a comparison on the net somewhere which included the results of exercises between the US(?) and India(?).
I was not surprised that the Sukhoi equipped side won the games but I was surprised that a country other than those in the "Eastern Block" had them.
My next thought was "We could have them too".

I never tire of watching the "Cobra Manoeuvre".

Um. I do know some Lexus owners who would give a Lada a try now !

Cheers. M.