PDA

View Full Version : Cairns News

Steve Bottom
3rd April 2011, 01:52 PM
The old DC-3 VH-SPY that has sat idle at the cairns airport for around 10 years moved yesterday for the first time under its own power , you could not miss the "sound of round" as she was moved from her long time spot on the south side of the airport, to a new location just near the fire station.

Thinking the old girl may be getting airborne i stopped to find out , but it looks like she is going to Mareeba by road, I understand the wings are coming off, and it will be trucked up the range sometime in the next few weeks.

It will be resembled and long term returned to flying status. ( we hope)

Also i understand the Heavy-Lift Shorts Belfast could be heading for the chop , sources tell me its not fit to fly and will most likely face the same fate as the 727 did . can only hope this news is wrong.

Shayne G
1st May 2011, 10:09 PM
What is going on with Heavylift?

I have a few questions regarding them

1. Why did the Belfast stop flying? I see above it says it is not fit to fly but what grounded it in the first place?

2. Why did the other Belfast dissapear?

3. I seen on wikipedia that they apparently have acquired an Ilyushin Il-76TD. I seriously doubt that especially since it's coming from wikipedia and the noisy jet ban would surely not allow it to operate in Australia. Another reason I doubt it too is because I've seen years ago they were going to get a DC-10F and that never happened. My question is does anyone know if this Ilyushin Il-76TD has really been acquired by them?

4. What is the general status of Heavylift Cargo Airlines? Since their B727's were forced out of Australia the airline seems to of stopped operating and they only just recently got their 737-400F.

Thanks.

Jarden S
2nd May 2011, 12:07 PM
I heard that they owe Cairns airport a lot in parking fees and maybe they will try to sell the Belfast to pay all their debts.

Nathan Long
2nd May 2011, 06:14 PM
2. Why did the other Belfast dissapear?

There was only ever one...

Shayne G
3rd May 2011, 09:54 PM
Interesting scenario there Jarden, thanks for the info.

There was only ever one...

I think I must of remembered the belfast G-BEPS, which was supposedly going to join Heavylift but it never happened and the aircraft was scrapped. For some reason I thought I remembered two being around in Australia, thanks for letting me know.