PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Changes Osaka Services To The Gold Coast

Ben O
20th May 2008, 10:11 AM
Jetstar To Operate Daily Australia-Japan Service To The Gold Coast
From 1 October 2008, Jetstar will change its current daily Sydney-Osaka-Brisbane service to operate via the Gold Coast in lieu of Brisbane.

This change will allow for access from both Sydney and the Gold Coast with the carrier operating a direct Osaka-Gold Coast* service daily with a five times weekly A330-200 tag service from Sydney and a number of domestic connections on the other two days via the Qantas Group’s domestic network.
(*Flights subject to regulatory approval)

Jetstar will operate its first long haul international services from the Gold Coast with the daily service, and will complement existing Jetstar long haul international operations now flying direct to Asia and the Asia Pacific from Sydney, Melbourne and Cairns.

Jetstar has cited strong trade industry support in both Japan and Australia for the daily flight to directly serve the Gold Coast, instead of Brisbane, with the greatest percentage of existing inbound Japanese passengers ending their journey at the Gold Coast.

The Qantas Group Airline has been operating a daily Sydney-Osaka-Brisbane service, directly between Sydney-Osaka and with a return flight into Brisbane then onto Sydney since its commencement on 25 March 2007.

Under the proposal there is no change in existing daily operating capacity by Jetstar from western Japan into South East Queensland.

Jetstar Chief Executive Officer Alan Joyce said the planned change in operations on the Australia-Osaka route was an important next phase in Jetstar being able to offer a more desirable air service for the benefit of Japanese travellers.

Mr Joyce said Jetstar will support the daily operation of the new Osaka-Gold Coast* daily service with a five times weekly Airbus A330-200 tag service direct from Sydney.

The remaining two operational days each week will be supported by existing Qantas Group domestic services between the Gold Coast and Sydney, now numbering up to 12 times daily.

“Jetstar’s decision to change this service was driven by market demand in the key Japanese tourism export market,” Mr Joyce said.

“Our passenger data has consistently shown the ma jority of Japanese travellers who have flown the route currently disembark at Brisbane, when they are actually destined to complete their journey at the Gold Coast.

“A daily direct Osaka to Gold Coast operation we believe will better serve existing and future market demand, and allow international visitors to Australia from Osaka a more direct and seamless entry point into South East Queensland.”

The Gold Coast has become Jetstar’s largest leisure destination now supporting over 130 weekly return flights. This includes an existing twice weekly Jetstar international A320 service to Christchurch, New Zealand.

Mr Joyce said Jetstar had continued to build on its already strong partnership with Queensland Airports Limited through its ownership of Gold Coast International Airport.

“Last year Jetstar reached a landmark long term commercial agreement with Gold Coast Airport to operate in the future from a redeveloped multi-million dollar common user terminal facility. This Agreement has been a catalyst for continuing to pursue existing and future growth in both international and domestic services from the Gold Coast, as highlighted by today’s announcement,” Mr Joyce said.

“Gold Coast Airport understands the Jetstar business including our low cost platform. Our broadening commercial relationship will now excitingly transcend into long haul international flying.”

Within Queensland, Jetstar will continue to operate A330-200 international services between Cairns and the western Japanese cities of Osaka and Nagoya, in addition to short haul A320 international services between Brisbane-Christchurch (daily), Gold Coast-Christchurch (2 times weekly) and Cairns-Darwin-Singapore (daily).

The Gold Coast is situated inside one hour by road or rail transportation to Brisbane Airport and nearby Brisbane CBD.

Jetstar’s A330-200 fleet is seat configured for 303 passengers, offering two classes of service including StarClass, Jetstar’s business class.

Jetstar will publish a new flying schedule on the Gold Coast – Osaka route for commercial sale on Thursday 22 May 2008.
* Flights subject to regulatory approval

Montague S
20th May 2008, 10:31 AM
Joyce is kidding himself if he thinks the Japanese will flock to the GC...what he needs is for the forex rate to change, back in the day it used to only cost 50yen for $1 AUD, now its just over 110 yen for $1 AUD. The numbers are down by around 20% so I am not sure how switching destinations by 60mi will help, it doesn't change the fact that the Japanese still need 110yen for $1AUD.

Andrew C
20th May 2008, 11:54 AM
the change may more reflect and better bottom line.

Steve S... 2
20th May 2008, 12:33 PM
Hi,

It could be a smart move. As nice as Brisbane is, what do Japanese tourists go to Brisbane to see? I know they love Hamilton Island!! and Cairns. Maybe an airline would benefit from a once or twice per week direct service between Japan & Hamilton Island, the Japanese flock to the island in large numbers.

Chris Tully
20th May 2008, 01:07 PM
It is certainly cheaper to operate into OOL then it is in BNE and it offers a better gateway to Surfers.

I think it is a good move for JQ.

Lukas M
20th May 2008, 01:14 PM
I agree with Chris, it would be a decent move. AirAsia are doig well, so it will be interesting to see how JQ goes. Looks like wont come into effect until Thursday.

Ticket sales for the new flights will start on May 22, pending regulatory approval
Cheap Launch fares please Jetstar!

Justin L
20th May 2008, 01:20 PM
There is not much JQ can do about the exchange rate, but they have to keep their business running to its optimum even while the exchange rate isn't favourable to Japanese tourists. The change of KIX-BNE to KIX-OOL is an interesting one and I hope has some benefit for them. In the days of AO (and when the exchange rate was more favourable), they offered KIX/NGO/FU'K-CNS-OOL services, although I'm not sure how their loads/yields were.

Rhys Xanthis
20th May 2008, 03:10 PM
Surely the demand must be there if they are doing this...

So if i get this right;

There are 7 return flights a week, 5 ontinuing onto yssy?

Or 12 return a week, 7 + 5 continuing onto yssy?

surely the first one...

Will up capacity on syd-ool as well.

Lukas M
20th May 2008, 03:16 PM
First one, 7return flight a week, 5 onto/from YSSY. We might see AirAsiaX capacity drop also, well it will drop, but how much I wonder?

Schedule
Schedule from 1 October 2008 until 4 October 2008
Gold Coast-Osaka Osaka-Gold Coast
JQ 19 10.35 am Wed,Thu,Fri,Sat JQ 20 20.00 pm Wed,Thu,Fri,Sat

Sydney-Gold Coast Gold Coast-Sydney
JQ 19 07.55 am Thu,Fri,Sat JQ 20 07.15 am Thu,Fri,Sat

Schedule from 5 October 2008 until 25 October 2008
JQ 19 10.35 am Tue,Thu,Fri JQ 20 20.00 pm Daily
JQ 19 10.25 am Mon,Wed,Sat,Sun

Sydney-Gold Coast Gold Coast-Sydney
JQ 19 07.45 am Sat, Sun JQ 20 07.20 am Tue,Thu,Fri,Sat
JQ 19 09.00 am Tue,Thu,Fri JQ 20 07.30 am Sun

Schedule from 25 October 2008 to 28 March 2009
JQ 19 10.25 am Daily JQ20 20.00 pm Daily

Sydney-Gold Coast Gold Coast - Sydney
JQ 19 08.50 Tue,Thu,Fri,Sat,Sun JQ 20 07.20 am Tue,Thu,Fri,Sat,Sun

Torin Wilson
20th May 2008, 03:37 PM
So this effects JQ18?

Marty H
20th May 2008, 04:20 PM
First one, 7return flight a week, 5 onto/from YSSY. We might see AirAsiaX capacity drop also, well it will drop, but how much I wonder?

Schedule

How is it going to effect Air Asia when one airline flys to KUL and the other ITM???

There not competing on the same route:rolleyes:

Lukas M
20th May 2008, 04:23 PM
There not competeing on the same route:rolleyes:
For Gold Coast residents, they like to holiday also

Marty H
20th May 2008, 04:24 PM

Yeah so how are Air Asia going to be effected? If they wont to goto KUL they get on Air Asia if they want to goto ITM they get on JQ

Lukas M
20th May 2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah so how are Air Asia going to be effected?
Cause the people now have more options, some might now go off to Japan now that there is a direct service. I was talking to a relative late this afternoon, and she said she wont book any Kuala Lumpur tickets now, but will wait for the direct OOL service to Japan with Jetstar. It will have possible very minimal effect though on AirAsia, as long as JQ dont throw enormous prices onto the route

Justin L
20th May 2008, 04:42 PM
How is it going to effect Air Asia when one airline flys to KUL and the other ITM???

There not competing on the same route:rolleyes:

Unless I am mistaken, JQ will continue to fly to/from KIX (Osaka Kansai). ITM (Osaka Itami) has been solely domestic since KIX began operations.

Montague S
20th May 2008, 05:12 PM

well GC residents taking a holiday won't matter a nut...they'll still either take a trip to KUL or KIX or NZ or the moon if they so choose.

your logic is flawed....are you going to tell us that Air Asia will now impact on SIA when they start flying into Perth? they choose the markets where the demand is and the impact will be negligible.

that said Jetstar will still be facing the issue of forex.

Marty H
20th May 2008, 06:15 PM
Unless I am mistaken, JQ will continue to fly to/from KIX (Osaka Kansai). ITM (Osaka Itami) has been solely domestic since KIX began operations.

Sorry I meant KIX like in my orginal post:o

Marty H
20th May 2008, 06:16 PM
Cause the people now have more options, some might now go off to Japan now that there is a direct service. I was talking to a relative late this afternoon, and she said she wont book any Kuala Lumpur tickets now, but will wait for the direct OOL service to Japan with Jetstar. It will have possible very minimal effect though on AirAsia, as long as JQ dont throw enormous prices onto the route

So what that is one person:rolleyes:

Lukas M
20th May 2008, 06:48 PM
haha, I think im going to take that AirAsia comment back now:p:p