PDA

View Full Version : Nowra 25th May 2008 - On Show

Jethro H
23rd May 2008, 12:14 AM
A heads up for anyone planning to be on NSW South Coast:

From Defence Media:

A range of current and historic military aircraft will be on display during the Fleet Air Arm Museum’s Open Day in Nowra this Sunday, 25 May 2008.

The event will be part of Diamond Jubilee celebrations for the Fleet Air Arm and its home, the Royal Australian Navy establishment, HMAS Albatross.

Commanding Officer of HMAS Albatross, Captain Mark Sackley, said Navy was looking forward to the event as it would showcase the historical development of the Fleet Air Arm and HMAS Albatross.

“This will be an opportunity for the local community to help us celebrate the history of naval aviation in the Shoalhaven over the past 60 years,” Captain Sackley said.

“I encourage everyone with an interest in aviation to join us for this event.”

The Open Day will see static displays of current Navy helicopters, along with aircraft from the RAN Historic Flight, Raytheon, and Pelair. A Neptune, Dakota, Winjeel and Tiger Moth from the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society will also be on static display.

Several Warbird owners will attend, bringing along an L-39 Albatross, a T6 Harvard and an A-37 Dragonfly.

The Army Parachute Training School will jump twice during the day from the Historic Flight UH-1B Iroquois helicopter and the Shoalhaven, Illawarra and Sydney Jet model aircraft clubs will fly between 11am and 1pm.

Other highlights will include displays by the RAN Hydrographer, Navy Clearance Divers and the RAN Band. The Royal Australian Air Force Dog Squad will give two demonstrations and several military vehicle clubs will display motorcycles, trucks and jeeps.

For those interested in aviation careers, Defence Force Recruiting, the University of New South Wales, the Australian Aerial Patrol and local training company, Aerospace Training Services, will be on hand to provide advice and answer questions.

Entry is $10 for adults and includes museum access. Children up to 18 enter free.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum is located on Albatross Road, Nowra Hill. For further details go to www.navy.gov.au/faam (http://www.navy.gov.au/faam)

http://yssyforum.net/board/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=12&day=2008-5-25

Brenden S
23rd May 2008, 09:59 AM
A good day it looks to be, Also looks like the F27 EWP will be down there to.

AdamC
23rd May 2008, 12:46 PM
I'll be attending as it's only just down the road from me.

All naval helicopters will be in attendance also as static displays.

I'll try and get some photos and post them afterward.

cheers

Adam

Brenden S
23rd May 2008, 09:41 PM
May be the last time anyone see's the seasprites to.

Andrew McLaughlin
23rd May 2008, 09:46 PM
May be the last time anyone see's the seasprites to.

Brendan - I doubt they'll be on display - last time I saw them they were up on blocks in a dark shed with rotors stripped off and all orifices covered over.

AdamC
24th May 2008, 08:33 AM
I believe that they were going to static display one as the have 3 that are fit to fly in the hangars at the moment. All the rest are wrapped in foil with the blades off.