PDA

View Full Version : SQs LCC to use 772s

Brock Little
23rd July 2011, 07:11 AM
Singapore Airlines' new LCC will use B772 aircraft, according to this Reuters article.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/07/22/singaporeairlines-idUKWNAS287420110722
Singapore Airlines said its new low-fare carrier, which will operate next year, has selected Boeing 777-200 aircraft for its fleet.

"Aircraft will initially be acquired from Singapore Airlines and reconfigured in a new seating layout," Singapore Airlines, the world's second-largest carrier by market value, said in a statement.

lloyd fox
23rd July 2011, 01:52 PM
I believe 3 BI 772'S will be going to this carrier as well after they finish BNE,AKL??

PeterR
23rd July 2011, 06:08 PM
I believe the Royal Brunei B777-200s are on lease from Singapore Airlines.

Justin L
1st November 2011, 03:33 PM
Just noticed this in the Wall Street Journal. SQ's new LCC to be called "Scoot" and use 772s to Australian and Chinese destinations from SIN.

The question is: which ports in Australia will they fly too first? My guesses are OOL (new), AVV (new), ADL (keep daily SQ, add 2-3 weekly), PER (substitute some SQ).

Singapore Airlines to Launch Budget Carrier Mid-2012

By GAURAV RAGHUVANSHI And P.R. VENKAT

SINGAPORE—Singapore Airlines Ltd. said its new low-cost airline will start operations in mid-2012 with a fleet of four Boeing 777-200 planes flying to Australia and China, in a move aimed at tapping the growing demand for discounted travel rates in the region.

The new airline, called Scoot, will operate medium-to-long haul services, and price its fares at a 40% discount to those offered by legacy carriers, the airline said Tuesday.

Budget airlines such as Singapore's Tiger Airways Holdings Ltd., Australia's Jetstar Airways and Malaysia's AirAsia Bhd. have been eating into the market share of many full-service airlines due to their cheaper fares.

"Adhering to the low-frills spirit that has proven so popular in short-haul arenas in Asia and around the world, Scoot will offer great value airfare," a Singapore Airlines statement said.

The low-cost airline will add more destinations as its fleet expands and plans to eventually cover India, Europe and other markets such as Africa and the Middle East.

Dan Collins
1st November 2011, 03:49 PM
Not the best livery methinks...

http://www.centreforaviation.com/blogs/aviation-blog/singapore-airlines-names-boudget-long-haul-carrier-scoot-61766

Dan

Justin L
1st November 2011, 04:09 PM
I don't mind that livery actually. It's quite fresh an vibrant. Among similar regional LCCs, I prefer it over Air Asia X's or Jetstar's liveries.

I can see it now: "Scoot to Singapore for only $499".

James S.
1st November 2011, 04:48 PM
Horrible name and disgusting livery, I could've done that livery myself in Paint. (IMHO of course!)
Bit of a disappointment for me from a quality carrier like SQ. :(

Regardless, I wish them the best of luck.

lloyd fox
1st November 2011, 05:23 PM
BNE for sure not OOL.(My Opinion)

PER,ADL and BNE have just been given extra flights over the Dec-Jan period and i believe this is in anticipation of Scoot coming onboard.These flights are also 777 flights.

Also with BI pulling both BNE and PER this has left a gaping hole in the low cost market to Asia and eventually Europe from both cities.

Jaryd stock
1st November 2011, 05:39 PM
It's too bright nearly blinded me when I saw it...

Brian Wilkes
1st November 2011, 10:10 PM
Melbourne has also been penciled in for this LCC service.

Kieran Wells
2nd November 2011, 05:26 AM
Here is their website:
http://www.flyscoot.com/index.html

Ryan Hothersall
2nd November 2011, 08:30 PM
Sure it's bright, but glad they did not stick to the usual white fuselage and little logo on the tail.

Something that will stand out from all the other airlines at the airport.

Looking forward to seeing it.

Benny Zheng
3rd November 2011, 06:51 PM
The 4 777 that went to BI are SQ's SV* series planes. Those rumoured to be going to Scoot are the old SQ* series.

Jarden S
10th November 2011, 10:06 AM
There has been a lot of articles in the cairns post that they may come here it would knock JQ CNS-DRW-SIN out of the air most will prefer to go non stop over 1 stop if its the same price as JQ.

Brandon Giacomin
1st December 2011, 01:58 PM
Looks like Sydney will be Scoot's first destination
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1168750/1/.html

Steve Bottom
1st December 2011, 04:53 PM
There has been a lot of articles in the cairns post that they may come here it would knock JQ CNS-DRW-SIN out of the air most will prefer to go non stop over 1 stop if its the same price as JQ.

JQ will do the usual thing with Cairns... pump up to an A330 to compete none stop, same as Qantas do. Just ask the Perth folk, what happened when Virgin went to the A330. Bring on the extra competition

Andrew Johnson
7th December 2011, 01:12 PM
What about AVV ? Not sure how big an aircraft AVV can take, but it's the perfect LCC port, ie basic & cheap.

Does QF do 744 maintenance at AVV ? Surely that means a 777 can land & take off from there ?

THen all that's need is for Lindsay Fox & Co to organise larger terminal/shed !!!

Michael Mak
7th December 2011, 03:16 PM
AVV will also need an international terminal with custom facilities. I think Air Asia X tried to use AVV before launching their Melbourne flight but they had to use Tullamarine instead.

Andrew Johnson
9th December 2011, 11:48 AM
Could simply use a simple "shed". Customs officers could be got from MEL initially on a when required basis (like they do at some NZl airports who only get a little international traffic)

Should be huge cost involved there. Its for an LCC so the more basic & therefore cheaper to use the better.

Ash W
9th December 2011, 11:54 AM
It's not cheaper when you need to get additional staff and ship them from another location. The cheapest option would be to use Tullamarine and the existing facilities and services.

Andrew P
9th December 2011, 01:21 PM
does not AVV have to upgrade its fire/rescue services if it wants to service wide body planes, (except for QF flying in empty for service)?

lloyd fox
9th December 2011, 04:52 PM
Avalon has to get approval from the Australian Government before it can have international services.This apparently has been a lengthy process and they currently do not have this approval.If and when they get this then obviously customs etc will need to be deployed to Avalon along with other upgrades.

Avalon have stated that they will be a cheaper airport to operate than Tulla and if that is the case then you would expect some carriers to use the airport.Scoot and Air Australia come to mind.Air Asia X could also look at relocating-who knows ?

Scoot have selected SYD because of no other LCC operating internationally from there so i would suspect the current MEL airport which already gets Air Asia X,Royal Brunei(Although Royal Brunei are not a LCC they do offer low fares) so i would suspect MEL may not be a Scoot port ???

Andrew Johnson
9th December 2011, 10:18 PM
It's not cheaper when you need to get additional staff and ship them from another location. The cheapest option would be to use Tullamarine and the existing facilities and services.

AVV is similar to OOL but closer to large Melbourne population than OOL is to Brisbane populus.

It will eventually be the low cost airport for Melbourne. Just needs someone to get off their **** & do it quickly. With Europe ina huge financial mess, 2012 is going to be a huge boom year for LCC's, as many will choose LCC's over legacy carriers & some legacy carriers will fail, maybe some very big ones.

Lawrie L
11th December 2011, 04:09 PM
Low cost airlines should be ugly and horrible.

Andrew Coggan
24th May 2012, 07:01 PM
A nice scheme I must admit. Photos. (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.227612037350498.42266.122524771192559&type=1)

Stefan Perkas
8th December 2014, 11:31 PM
Evening all,

Sorry to drag this topic back from the dead...

However some photos the 'Fly Scoot' Facebook page, indicate that they are set to announce Melbourne as their new destination today at 12pm.

Adrian B
9th December 2014, 11:59 AM
Flying to Melbourne, just dont know if it is to YMAV or YMML. Guessing the latter given the announcement was in Queen Vic Market.

Michael Mak
9th December 2014, 04:09 PM
Scoot website has MEL as the airport code, my guess is Tullamarine.
EDIT: This (http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=a66521f9c5f10b4cbd042138c&id=4a6ccf6a60) press release from Scoot confirms it is indeed Melbourne-Tullamarine.

JQ's operation at AVV is due for review in February 2015.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/geelong/jetstar-gives-geelong-eight-months-to-prove-avalons-worth/story-fnjuhovy-1226957770178