PDA

View Full Version : Worlds Extreme Airports - Channel 7 01Aug

Lee G
30th July 2011, 03:06 PM
Worlds Most Extreme Airports is showing on Channel 7 at 1930 on Monday 01Aug .. trailer shows St Maarten!

Kieran Wells
30th July 2011, 10:16 PM
And there are a number of us going to SXM in the next year!!!! Love the thrill of SXM, and can't wait to be there in person.. Will be a good view!!

Ryan N
2nd August 2011, 10:48 AM
Some scary airports there, especially the ones where the runway slopes.

Grahame Hutchison
2nd August 2011, 12:21 PM
Easy to see why Lukla (Tenzing-Hillary Airport) is the World's No. 1 "Extreme Airport", no last minute go-arounds there, and you need to be careful when parking. Only 460m long with a 12% gradient, not to mention the 9,100ft altitude.

Jason H
2nd August 2011, 03:38 PM
This is an interesting attempt at a landing at Toncontin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJoXMcehrYo

SteveW
2nd August 2011, 04:42 PM
Lukla was a lot scarier before they tarmac'd it!

Russell D
2nd August 2011, 05:38 PM
I had my whole family watch the show and I have to say it was fairly well done, especially for the wider audience.

Personally I would have liked a little more technical talk for each airport explaining why each of the factors make that airport worthy of being on the list though.

Also, maybe some more "flightdeck" footage of a pilot flying an approach and talking the viewer through what he is doing and what is going through his mind as he made the approach (preferably a FO doing the commentary bit since the PIC would probably have his hands full at the time) would also have been very exciting for the wider audience, not to mention aviation geeks.

But then again I'm probably being a little too picky. But all in all, an hour and a half well spent and can't wait to try out some of these airports on flight sim.:D

P.S. Thanks Lee for the heads up, as I would probably have missed it if you had not mentioned it.

Cheers

Greg McDonald
3rd August 2011, 08:55 AM
What routing do you use to get to SXM Andrew?

Sarah C
3rd August 2011, 07:05 PM
Trip Report needed Andrew :) That routing would have to be the most direct way to get there from Aus.