PDA

View Full Version : What went on here!

Rhys Xanthis
26th May 2008, 04:06 PM
Qantas has apologised to more than 200 passengers who were forced to wait on a plane on the tarmac of Perth Airport for nearly three hours early on Saturday morning because no staff were on duty at the terminal.

The delay was made worse because the passengers had already had to wait eight hours to board the plane because of a mechanical fault.

One passenger, who asked to remain anonymous, said by the time people disembarked just after 4am, most had been awake nearly 24 hours.

“There were no apologies,” the man said.

“There were no additional staff to handle the problem.”

A Qantas spokeswoman said the flight had been scheduled to leave at 4.15pm on Friday, but was delayed for mechanical reasons.

It eventually departed at 1.20am on Saturday, but returned to the terminal before take-off because of further mechanical issues.

“At that stage and late hour, all customer service and engineering staff had departed for the evening,” the spokeswoman said.

“It was decided that all customers and crew remain on board until 4am Saturday morning when Qantas staff resumed duties.”

A replacement aircraft was used to take passengers to Sydney later in the morning.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=75149

A monumental delay if i do say so myself!

Chris Tully
26th May 2008, 04:49 PM
“It was decided that all customers and crew remain on board until 4am Saturday morning when Qantas staff resumed duties.”

Almost sounds like they were made prisoners on the aircraft...

Montague S
26th May 2008, 04:53 PM
what went on...well, its highlighted in the report! that seems to be what went on.

and yes it was another 743.

Paul McFarlane
26th May 2008, 04:56 PM

SPECULATION/QUESTION: Would the decision to keep all involved on board have anything to do with a lack of security/airline staff in the terminal as required for a duty of care/insurance purposes??

Rhys Xanthis
26th May 2008, 05:08 PM
what went on...well, its highlighted in the report! that seems to be what went on.

and yes it was another 743.

1. O RLY?

2. Why am i not surprised it was a 743...if ones flying over your house, better watch out!

Montague S
26th May 2008, 05:33 PM
tip about posting here Rhys, don't use SMS language...

Adrian B
26th May 2008, 07:30 PM
I had a similar issue with J* in Hobart. The a/c went tech due to the airbridge that jumped out in front of it. We were in the terminal for about 8 hours. The Desk crew went home at about 4 hours before we departed, and left it up to the flight crew to apologise. There was no Jestar employee in the airport at all.

James Smith
26th May 2008, 08:57 PM
My wife was due to fly from Sydney to Perth on QF575 due out at 08:45 last Thursday 22 May, 2008. The flight eventually departed at around 14:55 over 6 hours late.

It was the 743 operating the flight and it was delayed due to water in the cargo hold, as the pilot explained to the passengers. Don't know how it got to be there.

Not sure of the registration as she can never find it even though I explain in great detail where to look. She likes an aisle seat. Enough said. Couldn't find the registration on 16R so I presume that the 743 predate ACARS.

Needless to say she missed the afternoon meeting that was part of the reason for travelling. She said that the tech and cabin crew apologised so much that the passengers got sick of it. Seems as though the crew are doing a lot of it of late.

The return flight last night from Perth on a 738 was right on time.

Rhys Xanthis
26th May 2008, 09:04 PM
VH-EBY B747-338 QFA QF0575 EKAF 03:08 (UTC) 11:08 (WST) Sydney - Perth

:)

Philip Argy
26th May 2008, 09:37 PM
Almost sounds like they were made prisoners on the aircraft...

Interesting what would have happened if they'd used the emergency exits to escape - I assume they were back at the gate (with exit slides therefore disarmed ). I think I'd have been calling the Police/the media/both by then anyway! :(

Brenden S
27th May 2008, 12:01 PM
QF Engineers are there 24/7 Unusual about the pax. I would have assumed that the aircraft was parked on the bay and engines shut down. They only have a few Licensed guys on the 743 and with the overtime bans would have gone home after there shift had finished. ie No Engineering coverage.

Scott Loveday
28th May 2008, 12:24 AM
I was thinking along the same lines as what Brenden has written. The overtime bans must be starting to have an significant impact not only on the OTP figures, but at a more basic level if you like, on aircraft servicability.

The flow on effect of this is increasingly evident.

Adam P.
28th May 2008, 06:49 AM
QF Engineers are there 24/7 [snip]ie No Engineering coverage

Ummm...... :confused:

Rhys Xanthis
28th May 2008, 09:14 AM
Ummm...... :confused:

i think he means there are 24x7 engineering staff, but only a select few are liscenced to work on the 743.

Brenden S
28th May 2008, 05:34 PM
Thats correct re Licenced guys. ie you have say 40 engineering staff in total. 4 guys have 747-300, 6 guys 767, and then the rest 737 etc so you base those guys around the aircraft operations.