PDA

View Full Version : 747-200 landing at Longreach

Ben W
27th May 2008, 10:59 AM
I've been looking everywhere for the video of when she landed (to try to win a bet about how many engines were running when she landed). I swear that I saw this somewhere a couple of years ago but can't find it now? Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ben

Mick F
27th May 2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceCt2_hPoGY

That's the only Youtube video I can find.

However to answer the question at hand, the 2 outboard engines were shut down for the landing to reduce the chance of FOD ingestion.

Mick

Brenden S
27th May 2008, 11:52 AM
I thought that the 2 outboard engines were on idle and didn't use reverse thrust only the 2 inboard ones had the T/R's deployed.

Craig Lindsay
27th May 2008, 04:52 PM
Even thou its just a hunk of metal its hard not to get a little teary eyed watching that.VH-EBQ is dead. long live the 747-800.Still the elegant lady of the skies.Something airbus could never match,building an aircraft that looks good.

Greg F
27th May 2008, 05:38 PM
Something airbus could never match,building an aircraft that looks good.

B747 Vs. A380 = Agreed, 747 much nicer looking
B737 Vs. A320 = A320 much nice looking, to me nose and tail seem nicer, 737 to me look a bit outdated, mind you I like the 737's Winglets....

Paul McFarlane
27th May 2008, 06:00 PM
..VH-EBQ is dead...

I understand (from what the guides were saying at Longreach) that records have been kept so that everything that needs to be done to get it back in the air can be done. Highly unlikely I know, but not dead... just dormant.

Mick F
27th May 2008, 06:04 PM
She'll never leave Longreach. Never.

Only way it can possibly leave Longreach is if they were to extend the runway to enable it.

Mick

Nick W.
27th May 2008, 08:20 PM
I can see myself in that video.

All engine were on, that I can assure you. I can't find my photo album, but from what I remember all engines were under reverse thrust.

Brenden S
27th May 2008, 08:36 PM
There was talk of extending and widening the runway for 707 ops and possibly 747 ops from LRE. (that was the council)

Ben W
27th May 2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the link. I was always under the impression that she landed with 1&4 on idle as well, but my friend insists they were all turning at the same speed? The video doesn't really prove either of us wrong so I guess we'll continue to argue about it for now! lol

Cheers,

Ben

Chris Roope
28th May 2008, 08:07 AM
All engines are at idle at touchdown anyway, so I dont see what difference it would have made doing the approach without 1&4?

I also suspect that doing an intentional 2 engined approach would be operating outside the flight manual ceritification. If you prang an aeroplane while intentionally operating outside the 'envelope' then you would have some fantastic lawsuits coming your way.

Ben W
29th May 2008, 02:09 AM
One other question- Is it true that the seats were all removed for the flight to cut weight and then reinstalled in Longreach?

Scott Lindsell
29th May 2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the link. I was always under the impression that she landed with 1&4 on idle as well, but my friend insists they were all turning at the same speed? The video doesn't really prove either of us wrong so I guess we'll continue to argue about it for now! lol

Cheers,

Ben

Hey Ben,
Are you the Ben W I think you are???
Scott.

Bill S
30th May 2008, 11:39 AM
She'll never leave Longreach. Never.

Only way it can possibly leave Longreach is if they were to extend the runway to enable it.

Mick

It's possible to get a very light 747 off the ground in a little over a 1000 metres ground roll.

I seriously doubt they had #1 and #4 shutdown, there's no charts or approval to do that, that I've ever heard of.
If you don't want FOD ingestion into the engines, then just don't use reverse - They were very light and in a Classic you can use a lot of braking when light and the brakes will be okay.

Mick F
30th May 2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the info Bill.

I was simply going off what I was told during a visit to the museum last year.

Cheers

Mick

Paul C.
31st May 2008, 03:32 AM
I think that VH-EBQ will spend the rest of its life fading away in the desert with the original VH-(X)EBA, first Qantas 707.

Nick W.
31st May 2008, 10:37 AM
We were all amazed at how EBQ landed quite far down the runway, compared to our 738, which had quite a force when slowing down and pretty much hit the piano keys.

On the video, you can see me at 20s (left of screen, black hat, white shirt) and my dad (right of screen, blue hat and white shirt).

my favourite photo which i took of that landing:

http://www.rwy34.com/search/bigpic.php?id=3228&size=L

N

Chris Tully
31st May 2008, 11:51 AM
I can confirm all engines were running during the landing phase.

As confirmed by the Captain who operated the flight

Steve S... 2
31st May 2008, 12:02 PM
Couldn't agree more about the appearance of the 747 compared to A380.

We have a new queen of the skies and as good an aircraft as it probably is, it is damn ugly. The sadest day ever in aviation history was when the Boeing 747 was superceded and Boeing should have put up more of a fight with the 747-800...