PDA

View Full Version : effects of bad weather Wednesday PM

Andrew C
28th May 2008, 08:06 PM
Any one know the effect on the schedule of the airport.

Craig Lindsay
29th May 2008, 06:41 AM
I know they closed it for awhile,dont know how long for.It was one hell of a storm

Mick F
29th May 2008, 08:51 AM
Airports are never closed, so therefore, it couldn't have been, :rolleyes:.

ATC may however, advise that 'landings are currently not suitable'. It is always up to the PIC whether or not he/she lands their aircraft.

Mick

Nigel C
29th May 2008, 08:57 AM
The airport didn't close.

Once the 5Nm lightning alert is issued staff don't go out on the ramp, so no aircraft can arrive on or push back from their bays.
This means they can still land and get positioned on a taxiway until the ramp staff come out, and the ones that were ready to go can still choose to depart.

Bernie P
29th May 2008, 09:50 AM
The airport didn't close.

Once the 5Nm lightning alert is issued staff don't go out on the ramp, so no aircraft can arrive on or push back from their bays.
This means they can still land and get positioned on a taxiway until the ramp staff come out, and the ones that were ready to go can still choose to depart.

When I went to the UN Climate Change conf in Bali last December, around 3-4pmish, there was a hell of a storm (lots of lightening etc) and EVERYTHING STOPPED!!! I noticed that there was a lot of aircraft on taxiways standing still, particurlarly over at the domestic side, a QF 767 (Int) about 10-15m away from a gate which then went in when an all clear call went through...

Needless to say, I left about an hour late, but I was ok with that!

David Ramsay
29th May 2008, 10:30 AM
Once the 5Nm lightning alert is issued staff don't go out on the ramp

I've always wondered if that is a company health and safety rule or is it a union thing?

I'm sure Nigel will know.

Ian Garton
29th May 2008, 11:09 AM
Airports are never closed, so therefore, it couldn't have been, :rolleyes:.

I was in Cairns a few years back with a cyclone off the coast. The Cairns ATIS at the time was --
Information Zulu, Aerodrome closed until further notice.

Mick F
29th May 2008, 11:21 AM
Ian, there may have been a NOTAM issued at the time saying the aerodrome was unserviceable. As you'd understand, if there was a cyclone (I'm guessing it was Larry?) in the area, there may been numerous amounts of debris over the airport, therefore it would effectively be a NOTAM that is 'closing' the aerodrome.

I stand to be corrected, however I am pretty sure that ATC cannot close an aerodrome, just like they cannot stop someone from landing after curfew in places like Sydney. All they can do is advise you that it would not be suitable etc.

I have seen NOTAM's being issued for aerodromes during cyclones, for the reason I stated above.

Cheers

Mick

Mick F
29th May 2008, 11:26 AM
Just noticed, when I said aerodromes cannot be closed, I was referring to them being closed by ATC.

So unless Sydney Airport issued a NOTAM effecting a closure, then it couldn't have been, ;).

Mick

Nigel C
29th May 2008, 11:45 AM
I've always wondered if that is a company health and safety rule or is it a union thing?

I'm sure Nigel will know.

There is a lightning alert system in place at Sydney. It strobes white for 10Nm lightning in conjunction with a siren and flashes blue at 5Nm with a different siren tone. The alert systems are installed on nearly every bay as well as the heliport.

It is up to the individual company as to what their OH&S policy states in relation to storms. Most, if not all companies follow the 5Nm/10Nm system at Sydney.

David Ramsay
29th May 2008, 12:32 PM
Cheers

Adam P.
29th May 2008, 12:50 PM
The alert systems are installed on nearly every bay as well as the heliport.

Is that a newish thing Nige? They weren't there when I worked in the area...

Nigel C
29th May 2008, 12:53 PM
That's because they didn't mind if you got zapped.

They were just waiting until you found greener pastures before installing it.:D

Adam P.
29th May 2008, 01:00 PM
Yeah that'd explain it. :mad: