PDA

View Full Version : Denpasar Spotting

Montague S
28th May 2008, 09:04 PM
Hi All,

I'm heading to Denpasar for a month in early July, just wondering what the situation is like for spotting up there and where are the easiest places to spot from?

how is security and how easy is it getting from location to location?

TIA.

-Mont

Bernie P
29th May 2008, 10:02 AM
Hi All,

I'm heading to Denpasar for a month in early July, just wondering what the situation is like for spotting up there and where are the easiest places to spot from?

how is security and how easy is it getting from location to location?

TIA.

-Mont

Hey Mont,

What flight are you going on? I went on JQ out of Syd, and when I arrived, going through immigration was chaos! May have just been the UN Climate Change Conf, and a lot of people for that, but it was busy!

Once through, DO NOT get help by the porters there to assist you through security. They may get you through easier, but they also charge like a wounded bull!!! Oh, and DO NOT take any alcohol, it will be taken, and you will be hit with importing duty!

I stayed over in Jimbaran, and from my hotel beachfront, I had a view of the airport, somewhat similar to the beach at YSSY. Easy walk, and a great view whilst having a drink on the beach in a lounge chair. A taxi, Blue Bird, is best and available from outside the arrivals 'hall' and turn right. You pay upfront, and if you use any other taxi whilst there, agree/negioate a price first!

For the conf, we had, amongst personal security etc, a tour guide assigned to us. I have his number if you want it, and he is good value to show you around, and he did not want any money. Although, I did pay him what he thought was very generous amount, of 100,000IDR ($11AUD). I can give you his mobile number via PM if you want...

Montague S
29th May 2008, 05:30 PM
I am flying SQ and arrive in the morning...

i was thinking of hiring a motorbike and riding myself around, I've heard about the taxi gig too....send me a PM with the number, much appreciated!

ty.

Tim C
29th May 2008, 06:13 PM
I am flying SQ and arrive in the morning...

i was thinking of hiring a motorbike and riding myself around, I've heard about the taxi gig too....send me a PM with the number, much appreciated!

ty.

Motorbike is a good idea but make sure you get your international licence before you go as the cops have a habbit of pulling over aussies on bikes because they know its a easy way to make 20 000 rupes as most dont bother getting the proper licence.

In terms of spotting get on the beach and walk to the airport there you are at the end of runway 09. I reccomend getting a boat also and head out to the end of rwy 09 you will get great shots this way. Some members of this board have also been able to talk themselves airside and drove around with a security guard for a while for some snaps.

Enjoy the Aussie dollar!

Cheers

Tim

Montague S
29th May 2008, 06:35 PM
rgr that Timba..good work, I'll be flying via Onoxa and possibly on El Al, et al... ;)

Adrian B
29th May 2008, 08:04 PM
No use now but I think there was a post on this on ye olde board.

Something about going to the security office and asking for permission. They are up for a chat and a smoke (not corby style).

Tsen Tsan
29th May 2008, 10:18 PM
Anybody know if DPS still allows ramp access for a certain fee of 100,000 rupiah?

Grant Smith
29th May 2008, 11:58 PM
rgr that Timba..good work, I'll be flying via Onoxa and possibly on El Al, et al... ;)

Be sure to include a detailed waypoint report complete with frish eye phrotography... And if you are lucky enough to fly LY be sure to order the kosher meal (I hear it's the best kosher meal this side of Tel Aviv) :D

Gerry S
30th May 2008, 09:12 PM
Tsan,
Anybody know if DPS still allows ramp access for a certain fee of 100,000 rupiah?
The official version is "no" or the price has gone up (after someone (yes, another spotter) peeved the authorities off BIG TIME), but you know who to call over there... Plus some new spots around (after concrete path next to November Papa was closed)... Now got some nice vantage points overlooking the runway.

Long time no chat eh my straits neighbour... ;)

Monty,
Location to location, motorbike's the best... or just go around with the local spotters.

Still waiting for an answer from them.

Regards,

Gerry

Grant Smith
30th May 2008, 11:32 PM
The official version is "no" or the price has gone up (after someone (yes, another spotter) peeved the authorities off BIG TIME), but you know who to call over there...

That bloody Slammin Sram Chewbacca... He has a lot to answer for...

Gerry S
31st May 2008, 05:55 AM
That bloody Slammin Sram Chewbacca... He has a lot to answer for.
:eek: Is that the new name? Well, the airside guys are pretty tight lipped about what happened so to this day I dunno which spotter caused that. Although 2 years ago, a friend (who works airside) was pulled aside by the Apron Movement Control guys while taking photos. The first two question was "who are you?" and "what are you doing?" After showing them his airside pass, the next question was "Do you know (Name)?" My friend called me asking "Is he that famous?"