PDA

View Full Version : Pope's arrival

Gerald A
30th May 2008, 06:36 AM
Just heard on the radio that the Pope will not be flying into YSSY, he will be flying into YSRI. No date or time was given.

Gerald

Andrew P
30th May 2008, 08:33 AM
He will arrive at the RAAF base in Richmond on July 13., no time
Banjo

Adrian B
30th May 2008, 09:30 AM
Was looking forward to seeing the pope on Border Security, being asked if he had any food items.......

NickN
30th May 2008, 11:04 AM
....... and then saying he didn't understand what the card said before he signed it.

What happens when they asked him if he packed his own bag?

"Sorry my son, Cardinal Philippe packed my bag I didn't know that was in there"

Nigel C
30th May 2008, 03:41 PM
Where's that Narita drug dog officer when you need him...

Mike Scott
30th May 2008, 03:56 PM
Hopefully the popemobile is making the trip....I guess it now will have to be either Mercedes/BMW/or Volkswagen based....cant be a fiat or anything Italian ;)

MS

Mike Scott
30th May 2008, 03:57 PM
PS: Sorry I forgot...it could be a Porsche !!!! :cool:

MS

Steve Jones
30th May 2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry if it's already reported, but I believe it's an Alitalia 777 and the intention is to fly it nonstop to Sydney from Rome if possible.

Mike Scott
31st May 2008, 01:42 AM
Then the popemobile cant make the trip (too much weight)...better leave the pointed hat at home too !!!! Looks like it's going to be the Oz version for this trip...a holden ute with a beach umbrella !!!! I hope the seagulls stay home...that mess doesnt look good on the white outfit he wears. :D

MS

Anthony J
31st May 2008, 12:00 PM
Sorry if it's already reported, but I believe it's an Alitalia 777 and the intention is to fly it nonstop to Sydney from Rome if possible.
I don't think that's correct. It should be a 747-400 of another carrier!

Paul McFarlane
31st May 2008, 12:51 PM
Just a little off topic..

A shy gentleman was preparing to board a plane when he heard that the Pope was on the same flight. "This is exciting," thought the gentleman. "I've always been a big fan of the Pope. Perhaps Ill be able to see him in person."
Imagine his surprise when the Pope sat down in the seat next to him for the flight. Still, the gentleman was too shy to speak to the Pontiff. Shortly after take-off, the Pope began a crossword puzzle. "This is fantastic," thought the gentleman. "I'm really good at crosswords. Perhaps, if the Pope gets stuck, he ll ask me for assistance."
Almost immediately, the Pope turned to the gentleman and said, "Excuse me, but do you know a four letter word referring to a woman that ends with the letters 'u-n-t?'"
Only one word leapt to mind...
"My goodness," thought the gentleman, "I can't tell the Pope that. There must be another word."
The gentleman thought for quite a while, then it hit him. Turning to the pope, the gentleman said, "I think the word you're looking for is 'aunt'."
"Of course," said the Pope. "Do you have an eraser?"

Have a good day all :D

Mike Scott
1st June 2008, 01:20 AM
They can always get a 400 from Lufthansa if they cant get everything on the triple 7....and then trade off the cost by having the pope do a commercial pushing the "heavenly" experience of flying Lufthansa. :eek:

MS

Philip Argy
1st June 2008, 09:06 AM
The Pope pleaded with his chauffeur over many months to let him have a turn at the wheel of the papal Mercedes but the chauffeur always politely refused telling His Holiness that he was not allowed to do that as he didn't even have a licence.

Finally one day the chauffeur, sick of refusing, relented and told the Pope he could have just a little turn at the wheel. The Pope swapped into the driver's seat and set off down the road with increasing speed until the chauffeur reminded him of the speed limit and warned him to slow down. Undeterred the Pope put his foot to the floor and was doing over 120 km/h in an 80 zone when a passing Highway Patrol gave chase with siren blaring. Knowing he was going to get in big trouble the chauffeur persuaded the Pope to pull over and let him do the talking.

The big burly Highway Patrol officer approached the driver's window and peered in, astonished to see the Pope in full garb sitting meekly behind the wheel. Without saying a word he rushed back to his patrol car and radioed in:

"I've got a problem, base; I've pulled over a VIP whose car was speeding but I can't book him".

"Don't be ridiculous", came the reply, "no-one is above the law, VIP or not - you go right ahead and issue a ticket".

"No", said the officer, "you don't understand, this is no ordinary VIP".

The sergeant in charge came on the radio and demanded to know why the officer was being inappropriately lenient. "Who the hell have you pulled over - the Mayor, the Police Chief, the Prime Minister - they just can't do that kind of speed and not get a ticket so you just go ahead and issue a ticket to the driver".

"This person is much more important than any of those people", pleaded the officer. "I've pulled over GOD!".

"That's absurd", replied the Sergeant, "what makes you think you've pulled over God - have you been drinking on the job?".

"No Sarge - it has to be God because this guy has the Pope as his chauffeur!"

:D

Rhys Xanthis
1st June 2008, 02:31 PM
hehe, read that before Phillip, but its so good:D

Troy R.
1st June 2008, 04:05 PM
Richmond is an interesting choice. I'm thinking it's for security reasons.
And on the security front NSW Police are absolutely spitting chips about the Vatican releasing details of his itinerary. They are being gripped by an acute case of "Chaser-itis"!

Mario Facchini
1st June 2008, 07:10 PM
Richmond is an interesting choice. I'm thinking it's for security reasons.
And on the security front NSW Police are absolutely spitting chips about the Vatican releasing details of his itinerary. They are being gripped by an acute case of "Chaser-itis"!

Speaking of which, here is the itinerary From the Catholic News Agency (yes they have one !!!):

Full papal itinerary for World Youth Day released

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/avantgo/new.php?n=12795

Vatican City, May 30 (CNA) - The Holy See’s Press Office has released the full itinerary for Pope Benedict XVI’s trip to World Youth Day, which will take place July 15-20.

He will arrive at the Richmond Royal Australian Air Force Base at 9:15 a.m. local time on Sunday, July 13, after which he will spend three days resting in private.

On 17 July Pope Benedict will begin his World Youth Day activities by celebrating a Mass in private. He will then meet with several officials of the Australian government, including Governor-General of Australia, Major General Michael Jeffery; Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd; New South Wales Governor Marie Bashir; and New South Wales Premier Morris Iemma.

Following a brief display of traditional Aboriginal dances and songs, he will then board the ship "Sydney 2000" for his official welcome to Sydney at 2:45 in the afternoon.

On July 18, the Holy Father will again begin the day with a private Mass after which, at 10:30 a.m., he is due to participate in an ecumenical meeting in the crypt of St. Mary's Cathedral in Sydney before going on to meet with representatives of other religions in the cathedral chapter.

Also on Friday, the Pope will have lunch with a group of young people and then following lunch he will proceed to the square in front of St. Mary’s Cathedral where he will begin the Way of the Cross with a prayer.

At 6:45 p.m. he will also meet a group of disadvantaged young people at the Sacred Heart church of Notre Dame University.

At 9:30 a.m. on Saturday July19, Benedict XVI will celebrate Mass in St. Mary's Cathedral with Australian bishops, seminarians and novices, and consecrate the building's new altar. Having had lunch with the bishops, that evening he will travel to the Randwick Racecourse to preside at a prayer vigil with young people.

Sunday will see the Holy Father arriving at the Randwick Racecourse in a helicopter to preside over Mass for 23rd World Youth Day and to recite the Angelus at noon. At 6 p.m. on the same day, he will deliver an address to the benefactors and organizers of World Youth Day in the chapter house of St. Mary's Cathedral.

The final day of the Pope’s itinerary will begin with a private Mass, followed by a trip to The Domain in Sydney where he will meet with the 23rd World Youth Day volunteers and bid farewell to the youth. He will then go directly to Sydney's international airport, where he will be greeted by the authorities before departing by plane for Darwin. After a brief stopover, his flight will proceed to Rome where the Holy Father is due to arrive at around 11 p.m.

“His Holiness has a very full schedule on his first visit to Australia,” said Bishop Anthony Fisher OP, Coordinator of World Youth Day. “He has requested specific meetings in order to connect with the full range of Australian youth and the youth of the world.

“As a Head of State, he will also be conducting several official meetings with civic leaders,” he said.

Gerard M
1st June 2008, 10:34 PM
Im not sure if this is the reason and i may be completly off on this theory but when i was coming into Sydney i drove past Richmond on Friday and noticed that they are placing those concrete barriers they use at road works and stuff in the inside of the perimeter fence. From what i remember about apec which isn't much cos i upped and left Sydney at the time, but weren't those big apec fences all around Sydney placed on the concrete blocks?
Is it possible that they will be putting the apec fence as a bit of extra security around Richmond?
Like i said, i may be completly wrong but its just a thought.

Gerard

Mario Facchini
1st June 2008, 10:37 PM
They could be doing that to bolster security around the prerimiter in case someone decided to drive through the fence. like a road block.

Grahame Hutchison
1st June 2008, 10:39 PM
Maybe they are preparing for "The Chaser".

Mike Scott
2nd June 2008, 12:43 AM
What about a streaker !!!!! (what a great venue for that activity) would be about as popular as a pork chop in a synagogue.:o

MS

Greg McDonald
2nd June 2008, 09:55 AM
The final day of the Pope’s itinerary will begin with a private Mass, followed by a trip to The Domain in Sydney where he will meet with the 23rd World Youth Day volunteers and bid farewell to the youth. He will then go directly to Sydney's international airport, where he will be greeted by the authorities before departing by plane for Darwin. After a brief stopover, his flight will proceed to Rome where the Holy Father is due to arrive at around 11 pm.

Foir those in the know, what time does this mean he'll be leaving Sydney?

Tim Bowrey
2nd June 2008, 09:28 PM
Will he be driven around in a Bullet-proof car like Dick Chaney when he was here does anyone think? Pottentially bringing some cool looking cargo aircraft in? Because an Antonov An-124 brought a few Bullet-proof cars for Mr Chaney when he was here i think.

Any ideas what aircraft this will be? His charter or a different one?
He will then go directly to Sydney's international airport, where he will be greeted by the authorities before departing by plane for Darwin.

Tim

Greg McDonald
3rd June 2008, 09:13 AM
Because an Antonov An-124 brought a few Bullet-proof cars for Mr Chaney when he was here i think.

If I remember correctly, wasn't it a couple of C-17 aircraft that brought the cars and SUVs to Richmond?

Tim Bowrey
3rd June 2008, 09:42 PM
Ah your probably right Greg but i got a photo of one coming into RWY34L when he was in unless it was bringing something else.

http://myaviation.net/?pid=01011114

Tim

Andrew C
18th June 2008, 01:48 PM
Why is the Pope arriving @ Richmond?
1/ security - YSSY had POTUS could handle the Pope

2/ Is he arriving after 11pm???

Any ideas all.

Mark Grima
18th June 2008, 07:42 PM

QF are the official WYD08 airline partner, I would be very very surprised if the pope arrived in to Australia on anything other then a QF 744.

Cheers

M

Andrew C
18th June 2008, 08:27 PM
It was already announced that the aircraft with the Pope will arrive into Richmond. I always thought he flew on an Alitalia plane.

here is the latest travel information from the Holy See

Saturday, 12 July 2008

Fiumicino (Rome)

10.00 Departure by plane from the Leonardo da Vinci International Airport of Fiumicino (Rome) for the Airport of Darwin/RAAF Military Air Base

AUSTRALIA

Sunday, 13 July 2008

Darwin

9.15 Arrival at Darwin Airport/RAAF Military Air Base
Technical stopover
10.30 Departure by plane from Darwin Airport/RAAF Military Air Base for Richmond Airport (Sydney)/RAAF Military Air Base
Richmond (Sydney)

15.00 Arrival at Richmond Airport (Sydney)/RAAF Military Air Base
15.15 Transfer by car from Richmond Airport (Sydney)/RAAF Military Air Base to the Private Residence
Private time till the morning of Thursday 17 July

Jethro H
19th June 2008, 10:57 AM
World Youth Day organisers also announced at least 36 extra flights scheduled for next month, including four additional Qantas flights from Los Angeles and Europe and a charter flight.

The charter would be call signed "Shepherd 1". Type of aircraft has not been published yet.

Mick M
19th June 2008, 07:52 PM
QF are the official WYD08 airline partner, I would be very very surprised if the pope arrived in to Australia on anything other then a QF 744.

We could start a tote on this. Well, at least there's lots of discussion on this one! ;)

Because an Antonov An-124 brought a few Bullet-proof cars for Mr Chaney when he was here i think.

I don't think so Tim. Hell would freeze over before the US Government allowed security vehicles to travel on Russian aircraft. Russian aircraft move Russian government freight, US aircraft move US government freight.

Mike Scott
20th June 2008, 04:50 AM
Dont be surprised when this pope show's up on Lufthansa !!!!;)

MS

Grant Smith
20th June 2008, 08:01 AM
Dont be surprised when this pope show's up on Lufthansa !!!!;)

MS

I'll wager against Biman bringing him in!

:cool:

Philip Argy
20th June 2008, 09:03 AM

Cheers

M

I found this 2007 contribution on flagspot.net (my emboldening) but I don't know how authoritative it might be:

Aircraft Marking

The Holy See, naturally, doesn't have an air force. As far as I know it doesn't even have planes. However, when the pope is taking a flight, his arms appear next to the front door of the plane. See: <www.airliners.net/351454 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/351454/L/)>, <www.airliners.net/261961 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/261961/L/)> and <www.airliners.net/522829 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/522829/L/)>. It seems that those arms are left on the plane afterwards as a declaration "The Pope flew in this plane" as seen on the out-of-service ex-Viasa plane at <www.airliners.net/484315 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/484315/L/)>.
Dov Gutterman, 28 June 2004
The pope travel only in "Catholic" airlines. When he visit a "Chatolic" state he uses the local flag carrier airline to his flight. If there are more then one flag-cattier, he don't insult anybody and used all of them.
In his visit to Mexico, the pope JP II used Mexicana on one way and Aero-Mexico on the other
It seems that the pope emblem is not removed afterwards and the plane still carry it as a token and to show that this is a "papal plane".

When visiting a non-Catholic state, the pope use Alitalia planes.

Dov Gutterman, 4 July 2007

adam c
21st June 2008, 04:00 PM
I found this 2007 contribution on flagspot.net (my emboldening) but I don't know how authoritative it might be:

When visiting a non-Catholic state, the pope use Alitalia planes.

Is Australia considered a Catholic state? Officially Australia doesn't have any religion, but according to the 2006 census Christianity is the most common, and Catholicism is the most popular sub-category of Christianity...

Mark Grima
21st June 2008, 04:40 PM
hmmm, good question, I think Australia is officially a Catholic state. Surley, WYD which is obviously a catholic event, would only be held in Catholic nations.

I still think he will be here on a QANTAS jet. The Popes coat of arms will be a nice addition to one the QF 744s.

Cheers

M

Jethro H
22nd June 2008, 08:33 AM
In the sense of the meaning from the Papal notes, no we are not a Catholic state. A Catholic State is where the government runs law in line with the belief of that religion. This can not happen in Australia as per Section 110 of our Constitution, we are not permitted to have a state religion.

There are only a few countries that are such as Italy where this is so such as Italy where the population is close to 90% Catholic. (Australia is 26%)

Anthony J
22nd June 2008, 10:22 AM
Too subtle?
It will be a 747-400 of an Australian Airline, wearing a red and white livery, on the VH register, maybe Rolls Royce or GE engines..........

Jethro H
22nd June 2008, 01:00 PM
I still think he will be here on a QANTAS jet.
M

Going by earlier quoted post:
The pope travel only in "Catholic" airlines.
Does Qantas fall in that category?

Just on the previous post about "Catholic States", Spain is a declared Catholic State. Hence I would guess why we have seen the Holy See has used Iberio aircraft in the past.

Interesting though, the Pope has also used AeroMexico as well. Whilst 90% of Mexican's are Roman Catholics, they are do not have a Catholic State status (like us, it's against their Constitution).

Qantas have announced in their Media release they have a "charter flight" booked for WYD from Europe. They have not released any other details...yet!

Ken N
22nd June 2008, 02:41 PM
Seems we're all having a stab in the dark here, well, here's my guess.....he arrives on AZ, then the AZ acft postions to RJAA.
Ciao...;)

Andrew P
22nd June 2008, 02:57 PM
the last time a Pope (Pope John Paul II) was in Australia was 1995, and he arrived on Air Niugini, a great Catholic airline IMHO.

he flew MNL - POM on Philippine Airlines

Banjo

Stephen Brown
22nd June 2008, 04:07 PM
And lets just review this once again for those who are bereft of intelligence...

Too subtle?
It will be a 747-400 of an Australian Airline, wearing a red and white livery, on the VH register, maybe Rolls Royce or GE engines..........

Steve Crook
22nd June 2008, 04:11 PM
I can't remember which Pope it was, but one of them also flew on a Qantas 747 SP - VH-EAB from memory. Not overly sure whether it was coming in to Australia or leaving - suspect it was leaving. I have a vague memory of some protocol whereby a carrier belonging to the nation from whence the Pope is leaving provides the aircraft...but I reiterate, that is a vague memory.

Grant Smith
22nd June 2008, 04:30 PM
And lets just review this once again for those who are bereft of intelligence...

So what you're saying is a Royal Jordanian flight will be bringing the Pope in?

;)

John Thoroughgood
22nd June 2008, 05:32 PM
Watch out for Ozjet departing 34L! LOL!

Anthony T
22nd June 2008, 05:34 PM
Steve is correct.

The "Flag carrier" of the last visited country flies the Pope to the next destination, I haven't been following the details of his visit, where is he coming from? Is it direct from Italy or via a 3rd country, If it is from Italy then Alitalia (if it still exists by the time of his visit) will be providing the aircraft to Australia, and QANTAS (If it can provide a serviceable aircraft) will provide the aircraft to his next destination.

Andrew C
22nd June 2008, 05:48 PM
The pope is coming directly from Rome according to the itinerary on the Holy See web site.

Steve Jones
23rd June 2008, 08:13 AM
as per a previous post, an Alitalia 777 is expected to bring the Pope to Australia, with the intention to fly it nonstop.

Adam P.
23rd June 2008, 10:00 AM
QANTAS (If it can provide a serviceable aircraft)

Ouch!

Jethro H
23rd June 2008, 10:37 AM
as per a previous post, an Alitalia 777 is expected to bring the Pope to Australia, with the intention to fly it nonstop.
I gather non-stop to Darwin
Rome-Darwin-Richmond.

Bernie P
23rd June 2008, 12:17 PM

On a 'wing and a prayer' no doubt... :D

Mark Grima
23rd June 2008, 08:18 PM
Too subtle?

I have trying to help you get your point across here Anthony! I am totally convinced he will be here arriving on a Qantas aircraft!

Cheers

M

Anthony J
24th June 2008, 06:31 PM
I have trying to help you get your point across here Anthony! I am totally convinced he will be here arriving on a Qantas aircraft!

Cheers

M
As far as I've been made aware it is only one way on QF ;)

Montague S
24th June 2008, 06:55 PM
Steve is correct.

The "Flag carrier" of the last visited country flies the Pope to the next destination, I haven't been following the details of his visit, where is he coming from? Is it direct from Italy or via a 3rd country, If it is from Italy then Alitalia (if it still exists by the time of his visit) will be providing the aircraft to Australia, and QANTAS (If it can provide a serviceable aircraft) will provide the aircraft to his next destination.

its always been the way, arrives on Alitalia and transported onwards by the last port of call's national carrier.

I remember when JP II was in Perth in the 80's and he left on a QF 747-SP.

Mick M
24th June 2008, 07:22 PM

Mark Grima, I'll lay a $100 that you're wrong about a QF arrival. Now I may be wrong too, but I reckon I'm on the money so I'll take your cash if you're up for a little wager!

Liz E
24th June 2008, 08:50 PM
I'd like to bid $100 monopoly dollars on the Pope arriving in Richmond on a RAAF biz jet.

Montague S
24th June 2008, 10:32 PM
I'd like to bid $100 monopoly dollars on the Pope arriving in Richmond on a RAAF biz jet.

I'll raise you $10,000 and guarantee you that he's arriving on Alitalia with the callsign of "Shepherd 1."

Alitalia has always set aside a plane for the pope on his day of departure and the next day that plane returns to Rome. The only time I can recall when he didn't return on Alitalia was last year when he visited Brazil, pretty obvious why too...without Varig being there as the national carrier it was down to Alitalia.

Anthony J
24th June 2008, 10:48 PM
I did misread Steve's post, I thought he was talking about the return trip.

Mark Grima
26th June 2008, 09:13 PM
I did misread Steve's post, I thought he was talking about the return trip.

OK, So now I am doubting the information that I had which I thought was rock solid, thanks Anthony haha! :eek:

In any case my mortgage can afford me to have a $100.00 wager on somethng like the popes arrival! Unfortunatly I am pretty much against religon so I can hope for a devine intervention to pull me through!!!!

Cheers

M

Radi K
3rd July 2008, 01:08 AM
He will be stopping for a fuel stop in DRW prior to SYD. So don't know if the 744 bit is right.

Craig Lindsay
3rd July 2008, 08:34 AM
With a bit of luck he has God on his side cause i woundnt fly with alitalia if u paid me

NickN
3rd July 2008, 12:15 PM
No good having god by your side if he isn't rated in a 747.

Grant Smith
3rd July 2008, 12:59 PM
With a bit of luck he has God on his side cause i woundnt fly with alitalia if u paid me

Is there any airline you would fly on?

Trevor Sinclair
4th July 2008, 04:50 PM
A mate of mine is F.O. on the outbound leg - I'm sure he said to HKG

Nigel C
4th July 2008, 07:09 PM
I thought it was HGK?

Rhys Xanthis
4th July 2008, 10:44 PM
I thought it was HGK?

from what i can see its HKG.

Grant Smith
5th July 2008, 12:31 AM
I thought it was HGK?

I have it on good authority from a hot boy hot girl that it is in fact via DAC...

NB: Information as always subject to change

Nigel C
5th July 2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the update Grant. Helpful as always!

I see the WYD is also causing some airspace restrictions around the city for the duration of the 'festivities'.

Notams are in place...

C1552/08
TWO TEMPO RESTRICTED AREAS ACT
(1) (KNOWN AS NORTH CBD) WITHIN THE AREA ENCLOSED BY STRAIGHT LINES
JOINING S33 52.4 E151 14.5 (BAY STREET AND SOUTHERN SHORE OF SYDNEY
HARBOUR), S 33 52.7 E151 14.5 (THE INTERSECTION OF BAY STREET AND NEW
SOUTH HEAD ROAD), THEN WEST ALONG NEW SOUTH HEAD ROAD TO AND THEN
ALONG WILLIAM STREET TO AND THEN ALONG PARK STREET TO AND THEN ALONG
DRUITT STREET TO S33 52.4 E151 12.3 (THE INTERSECTION OF DRUITT
STREET AND CLARENCE STREET) THEN NORTH TO S33 51.4 E151 12.2 (HARBOUR
SHORE) THEN EAST ALONG THE SOUTHERN SHORE OF WALSH BAY TO S33 51.3
E151 12.5 (SOUTHERN END OF HARBOUR BRIDGE) THEN EAST ALONG THE
SOUTHERN SHORE OF SYDNEY HARBOUR TO S33 52.4 E151 14.5. (BAY ST)

(2) (KNOWN AS SOUTH CBD) WITHIN THE AREA ENCLOSED BY A STRAIGHT LINE
JOINING S33 52.7 E151 14.5 (THE INTERSECTION OF BAY STREET AND NEW
SOUTH HEAD ROAD), S33 53.9 E151 14.5, S33 54.0 E151 14.2, S33 54.2
E151 12.5, S33 53.9 E151 12.4, S33 52.4 E151 12.3 (THE INTERSECTION
OF DRUITT STREET AND CLARENCE STREET), THEN EAST ALONG DRUITT STREET
TO AND THEN ALONG PARK STREET, ALONG TO AND THEN ALONG WILLIAM STREET
TO AND THEN ALONG NEW SOUTH HEAD ROAD TO S33 52.7 E151 14.5.(BAY ST)

FLIGHT IS NOT PERMITTED WITHIN THE TEMPORARY RESTRICTED AREA WITHOUT
THE APPROVAL OF THE CONTROLLING AUTHORITY NEW SOUTH WALES POLICE
FORCE. NSW POLICE WILL ACTIVATE THESE TRAS AS REQUIRED AND AS
COORDINATED WITH SYDNEY ATC

THESE TWO RESTRICTED AREAS ARE WITHIN THE SYDNEY CTR. ATC CLEARANCE
IS REQUIRED FROM SY ATC FOR ACCESS AFTER OBTAINING APPROVAL.
WITHIN THE RESTRICTED AREAS NO AIR TRAFFIC SERVICES ARE PROVIDED.

CTC NSW POLICE TEL 02 9796 9800
CTC SYDNEY ATC RDO 135.1 MHZ

FROM 07 122100 TO 07 210900

C1553/08
R405AB
SUNRISE TO SUNSET
THE CONDITIONS FOR FLIGHT IN RESTRICTED AREAS R405A AND R405B
ARE AMENDED. FLIGHT IS ONLY PERMITTED BY:

(1) HELICOPTERS WITH THE SPECIFIC PERMISSION OF CASA AND
(2) HELICOPTERS OPERATED BY THE NSW POLICE AND
(3) AIRCRAFT BEING OPERATED EXCLUSIVELY FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES
RELATING TO HUMAN LIFE OR SAFETY, OR THE PROTECTION OF PROPERTY AND
(4) MILITARY AIRCRAFT WHEN BEING OPERATED FOR MILITARY, SECURITY OR
EMERGENCY PURPOSES AND
(5) FLOATPLANES ENGAGED IN CHARTER AND RPT OPERATIONS.

FLOATPLANES MUST OPERATE IN R405B ONLY AND EAST OF A LINE BETWEEN
BRADLEYS HEAD AND POINT PIPER.

FOR ANY FLIGHT IN R405A AND R405B BETWEEN 170400 AND 170700
(2:00PM AND 5:00PM LOCAL ON THURSDAY, 17 JULY 08)
SPECIFIC APPROVAL IS REQUIRED FROM THE NSW POLICE.

CTC NSW POLICE TEL 02 97969800
CTC CASA: SY REGION GA FLG OPS 131757
FROM 07 160200 TO 07 210200

Grant Smith
5th July 2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the update Grant. Helpful as always!

Nige, as always you post what you've got to post - if it turns out to be a bunch of hot air then so be it... You just take the chance ;)

Craig Lindsay
5th July 2008, 06:08 PM
Is there any airline you would fly on?

Ive flown on vb,qantas,cathay pacific,ba,aloha,alitalia,garuda,aer lingus,continental,north west,death star,pan am,air zealand.AND after flying on alitalia and garuda u wouldnt get me near them again.I probably wouldnt fly on any south american , african or el al plane

Nigel C
5th July 2008, 08:48 PM
What's wrong with El Al?

I know of a few people here who have it as one of their favourite airlines.

Steve Crook
5th July 2008, 10:43 PM
I flew El AL a couple of times many years ago (we're talkiing 707s). The level of security involved before and during check-in, on board and when deplaning told me that I'd never fly on a safer airline. Even with today's level of heightened security in aviation generally this belief would still hold true. My other striking memory of flying with El Al was that the cabin decor verged on nightmarish....the designers obviously relied heavily on hallucinogenics for inspiration. Apart from that EL AL was "just another airline".

Philip Argy
12th July 2008, 05:58 PM
its always been the way, arrives on Alitalia and transported onwards by the last port of call's national carrier.

I remember when JP II was in Perth in the 80's and he left on a QF 747-SP.

To avoid prolix cross posting, see my corroborative update on the related thread:
http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?p=8453#post8453

And from Avionews, this further update on the Pope's fight with Alitalia:
http://www.avionews.com/index.php?corpo=see_news_home.php&news_id=1092230&pagina_chiamante=index.php

Andrew Neil
13th July 2008, 12:16 PM
I dont suppose anyone is putting up a live ATC link out there?

All the ones i norally listen to are all down and have been for a while

Andrew

Grahame Hutchison
13th July 2008, 02:53 PM
First ACARS pickup of the Pope's aircraft from the ACARSD web site.

ACARS mode: 2 Aircraft reg: EI-DBL
Message label: Q0 Block id: 8 Msg no: S47A
Flight id: AZ4000 [] [Alitalia]
----------------------------------------------------------[ 13/07/2008 14:39 ]

Now from www.16Right.com (http://www.16Right.com) ACARS .....

EI-DBL (http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/2/1/7/1114712.jpg) AZ4000 13/07/2008 14:56 Alitalia B777-243(ER) Rome-Darwin-Richmond (Pope)

ACARS mode: S Aircraft reg: .EI-DBL
Message label: H1 Block id: 0 Msg. no: F01A
Flight id: AZ4000
Message content:-
#M2BPRG/DT[B]YSRI,28 ,394,045855,046/FNAZA4000724A
-------------------------------------[13/07/2008 14:56]

Richmond Runway 28 will be used.

matthew mcdonald
13th July 2008, 04:20 PM
And here he is......

Cliff Cook
13th July 2008, 04:27 PM
The arrival of Pope's aircraft in Richmond was shown on live by SBS at 15.00 till 15.45 this afternoon.

Lukas M
13th July 2008, 04:37 PM
Its all here:

http://video.sbs.com.au/player/news/index.php?mmid=13573&chid=12&tabid=87

I wouldn't touch that link on a 56k Modem though..:D

andrew evans
13th July 2008, 04:46 PM
A couple more shots from today

Sarah C
13th July 2008, 04:56 PM
Great photos Matthew and Andrew, even with the poor weather

Good to see in one of those photos people actually being allowed to take photos, and not have the police keeping them away.

Sarah C
13th July 2008, 05:06 PM
Anyone know when the aircraft will depart? It will be a shame if it leaves tonight but I have a feeling it will.

Lukas M
13th July 2008, 05:11 PM
When does the pope leave??

Nick W.
13th July 2008, 05:16 PM
21st July

http://www.wyd2008.org/index.php/en/wyd08_events/papal_itinerary

Darren Butterworth
13th July 2008, 05:26 PM
Couple of pics from today. I'll throw more on my website over the next couple of days.

Darren

Tim Bowrey
13th July 2008, 05:40 PM
I have to say... I found my way out there fine and it was an awesome arrival. I (luckily) took a ladder to get over the fence and stood right at the RWY28 threshold and went right over the top. Will post some pics up once iv processed them;) 2 hr drive home but deffinatly worth it.

Tim

Tim Bowrey
13th July 2008, 05:44 PM
When does the pope leave??

Hey Lukas.. Got this from http://www.wyd2008.org/index.php/en/wyd08_events/papal_itinerary

Monday, 21 July 2008
1000am Flight departs Sydney International Airport bound for Darwin Airport

***EDIT.. Sorry i repeated Nick but it will be 10am

Greg McDonald
13th July 2008, 05:53 PM
A few more...

Tim Bowrey
13th July 2008, 06:39 PM
Some from me;) Enjoy!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/Marlb0ro/Tims%20Stuff/eidbl5.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/Marlb0ro/Tims%20Stuff/eidbl4.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/Marlb0ro/Tims%20Stuff/eidbl3.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/Marlb0ro/Tims%20Stuff/eidbl2.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/Marlb0ro/Tims%20Stuff/eidbl.jpg

phil.l
13th July 2008, 06:44 PM
Nice photos everyone,does anyone know if the 777 will depart and when?

matthew mcdonald
13th July 2008, 07:00 PM
Wonderful photos Tim. I have absolutely no idea how you got that great light on the 777, mainly in the first picture. Well done

Tim Bowrey
13th July 2008, 07:02 PM
Cheers mate.. There were several hundred people at my fence line as it was also the exit where the pope would go past in his car, but were was your area covered? I have a pic which ill put on soon.

Gerald A
13th July 2008, 07:13 PM
A good coverage by SBS zoomed in on the rego, full screen.

AIRCRAFT INFO
Alitalia
Type B777-243ER
Rego EI-DBL
Line/Con 459 / 32781
Hex code 4CA1E0
Selcal code GP-KS
First flight 28 Oct 03
Delivery 14 Nov 03

Jethro H
13th July 2008, 07:15 PM
Great pics thanks!

The one with the "Follow Me" car reminds us how big those engines are!

Sarah C
13th July 2008, 07:25 PM
Lovely photos Tim! :)

Mario Facchini
13th July 2008, 08:22 PM
Tim, your photos are BRILLIANT !!!!

Lukas M
13th July 2008, 08:44 PM
Tim, your photos are BRILLIANT !!!!
Absolutley, and the one with her about to touch down is magnificent:)

Andrew McLaughlin
13th July 2008, 08:47 PM
A couple from my daughter Brianna from the hill at the Rum Corps Golf Course. (Shutup Browneye! ;))

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/772_ALITALIA_EI-DBL_YSRI_13JUL08-1.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/772_ALITALIA_EI-DBL_YSRI_13JUL08_BM.jpg

NickN
13th July 2008, 08:48 PM
Couple from me telling todays story.......

http://picasaweb.google.com/aroundsydneyphotography/PopesArrival

Andrew McLaughlin
13th July 2008, 08:52 PM
...and three of mine.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/772_ALITALIA_EI-DBL_YSRI_13JUL08_AM.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/772_ALITALIA_EI-DBL_YSRI_13JUL08-2.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/772_ALITALIA_EI-DBL_YSRI_13JUL08-3.jpg

Cheers

Nigel C
13th July 2008, 09:12 PM
Nice pics Andrew, but I reckon your 5 year old daughter takes better pics than you.:p

Andrew McLaughlin
13th July 2008, 09:20 PM
Nice pics Andrew, but I reckon your 5 year old daughter takes better pics than you.:p

SHUDDUP!!!

....and she's 9, ok.... :(

:D

ChrisG.
13th July 2008, 09:52 PM
G'day Andrew,
Your 9 year old daughter seems to be pretty good at taking photo's. Obviously she didn't pick it up from you?

Cheers

Chris

Steve Crook
13th July 2008, 09:53 PM
Great shots to all concerned - many thanks. I have to say those Alitalia colours are so classic.....stand up just as well today as they did when I use to watch the Alitalia DC-8s come and go.

Andrew McLaughlin
13th July 2008, 10:10 PM
G'day Andrew,
Your 9 year old daughter seems to be pretty good at taking photo's. Obviously she didn't pick it up from you?

Cheers

Chris

Oh, ok...everyone's a comic tonight it seems...:rolleyes:

Ok, bring it on...give it your best, but I have a long memory, ok? :D:cool:

Cheers

Brenden S
13th July 2008, 10:40 PM
Great shots, now did anyone take advantage of the lack security and snap the herc's and the 707's????

Tim Bowrey
13th July 2008, 10:43 PM
Great shots, now did anyone take advantage of the lack security and snap the herc's and the 707's????

There was a oooge line of Herc's lined up Brendon but it was very hazy and difficult although i assume some got some nice shots. The 707's were quite out of sight and you could just see there tails. Very impressive mind you;)

Tim Bowrey
13th July 2008, 10:50 PM
Here are some more pics i just got ready. Note: All were taken looking over the fence on a ladder;) I was prepared:P

Big croud wishing the Pope a nice stay in singing.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/Marlb0ro/Tims%20Stuff/croud.jpg

Hold your breath! Here she comes!
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/Marlb0ro/Tims%20Stuff/final.jpg

Gliding over the lights into RWY28
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/Marlb0ro/Tims%20Stuff/threshold.jpg

TOUCHDOWN!
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/Marlb0ro/Tims%20Stuff/touchdown.jpg

Once everybody had moved from the fence i saw this girl taxiing to the runway so whipped the ladder back out a took a few.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/Marlb0ro/Tims%20Stuff/a37003-1.jpg

Tim

Grant Smith
13th July 2008, 11:39 PM
A couple from my daughter Brianna from the hill at the Rum Corps Golf Course. (Shutup Browneye! ;))
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/772_ALITALIA_EI-DBL_YSRI_13JUL08_BM.jpg

Getting some practise in eh Andrew - good for you... Although playing at Rum Corps I'm not sure what kind of practise you were getting ;)

damien b
14th July 2008, 06:31 AM
Great photo's by all - thanks for posting.

Stephen Brown
14th July 2008, 08:54 AM
I'm not saying a word....BUT on Saturday......:)

matthew mcdonald
14th July 2008, 09:02 AM
Still no ideas when it is leaving?

Jethro H
14th July 2008, 11:05 AM
...and does it just go to SYD to take the Pope home next Monday at 1000hrs?

Graeme M
14th July 2008, 02:52 PM
Shepherd One

Tim Bowrey
14th July 2008, 03:19 PM
Shepherd One

It would have been good for them to have use Shepherd One rather than Alitalia 4000. What does the 4000 mean anyway? Does it have some relevance?

Tim

James Herbert
14th July 2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the pics fella's. Especially like the 'follow me home' pic :D

Jason Mac
14th July 2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the pics fella's. Especially like the 'follow me home' pic :D

Follow me is one of my all time favourite photo's.

Philip Argy
14th July 2008, 07:29 PM
It would have been good for them to have use Shepherd One rather than Alitalia 4000. What does the 4000 mean anyway? Does it have some relevance?

Tim

As I noted the other day, Alitalia has used AZ4000 as its flight number for the papal aircraft since 1964:
http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost.php?p=8453&postcount=24

I do not know why, though.

Jethro H
15th July 2008, 08:54 AM
Still no ideas when it is leaving?
She already has left. A C17 was parked there yesterday and they have bought on of the 707's back out onto the flight line... assuming to make space for the Army gear at the western end