PDA

View Full Version : Man charged over rare helicopter theft

Greg McDonald
30th May 2008, 03:46 PM
From NEWS.COM.AU:

A MAN has turned himself in to police over the theft of a rare helicopter from a Sydney airport.

Police said the ex-military Kiowa helicopter was stolen from a private hangar at Bankstown Airport some time between last December and early this month.

The aircraft, a rare collector's item and one of only three in Australia, was found by police at Taree Airport, on the NSW mid-north coast, on May 6 and returned to its owner.

A 48-year-old Port Macquarie man handed himself in at Bankstown police station this morning.

He was arrested and later charged with break, enter and steal as well as receiving.

The man was granted conditional bail to appear before Bankstown Local Court on June 18.

Mike Scott
30th May 2008, 04:00 PM
Where was Bob Bell when they needed him !!!!

MS

Nigel C
30th May 2008, 04:20 PM
He's been MIA since the Phoenix Board started...not sure where he is these days!

Grant Smith
30th May 2008, 07:19 PM
That article might explain his abscence ;)

Mark Grima
30th May 2008, 08:16 PM
I was surprised when I heard this today, I don't recall the original story. Any word on how he stole the chopper? And no smart a*se replies to the extent of "he flew it out". I mean you can't just stuff the thing in your pocket and walk out the front door!

Cheers

M

Greg W
1st June 2008, 07:23 AM
Hi All,

Grant I can assure you that Bob Bell was not involved in the theft of the Kiowa from Bankstown. Here is a photo of the stolen helicopter at Taree.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?pid=8019

Cheers

Greg

Grant Smith
1st June 2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the update Greg, glad it doesn't explain his abscense from the board...