PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Radio Calls

Andrew S
2nd June 2008, 11:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a flight into YBBN this week and I will be parking at the GA Terminal, does anyone know if a Start Clearance is required from Ground ? or will it be just a taxi clearance to the active.

Max C
2nd June 2008, 11:33 AM
G'day Andrew,
Unless the ATIS specifically says that 'start clearances required', you should be able to just request an airways clearance from Clearance Delivery on 118.6 I believe it is, and then request taxi clearance from Brisbane Ground on 121.7

Nigel C
2nd June 2008, 01:06 PM
You should read your ERSA before flying into ANY destination to familiarise yourself with local procedures. It will state in there if start clearances are required.

Andrew S
2nd June 2008, 01:34 PM
I have checked my ERSA, that was the first thing I did, It does not state specificaly about a start clearance, however I know that Jets and heavy aircraft some of which are parked at the GA Apron require a start clearance, my question was more specified to light singles. Hence posting the question on here to pilots who may fly into Brisbane regulary.

Thank you Anthony for your reply. Is very helpful. I thought that might have been the case.

Nigel C
2nd June 2008, 03:17 PM
Where does it say they require a start clearance?

I've also checked the latest Notams and DAPs and I can't find any reference.

At Sydney we occasionally have pilots requesting start clearance out of habit more than anything. Perhaps it's the same at YBBN?

FWIW, there is sometimes a start clearance requirement during periods of inclement weather or if there's an AEP clogging the system up. When this is the case, it's put on the ATIS.

Andrew S
2nd June 2008, 04:06 PM
It is not written in either the DAP's or ERSA, hence the question.

That is a good point, I suppose it could be more pilot habbit then anything. I have just heard on many occasions on the ground frquency that for the jets a pushbank and start clearance is obtained and for the cargo's at the GA apron they ask for a start clearance. Have never heard it on the ATIS but I understand what you are referencing.

Thank you for your input. Always enjoy a conversation on these matters.

Mick F
2nd June 2008, 04:23 PM
G'day Andrew,
I operate into Brisbane quite a bit during all hours of the day and can give you a quick hand.

Firstly, the only times I've heard the requirement for a start clearance is after 2300hrs Local through until I think it's 0600hrs Local. It's broadcast as part of the ATIS.

So best thing to do, just prior to turning the key on your machine, just double check the ATIS to make sure there isn't any start clearance requirement (things do change).

After start, get your airways clearance on 118.60, then once you're reading to taxi, call up Brisbane Ground on 121.70.

"Ground, ABC is in the GA, 2 POB, received Alpha, request taxi clearance". They'll come back to you with an instruction, and hey presto you're on your way.

Then just switch over to Tower approaching the holding point and call ready.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Mick

Will T
2nd June 2008, 04:55 PM
G'day Andrew,

Your question has been answered in the previous posts, but for what it's worth, this is what The Book has to to say about it:

4.1 Engine Start
4.1.1 The pilot in command of an aircraft must request approval to start
engines when the requirement is notified by ATIS, NOTAM, AIP
Supplement, ATC, or listed in ERSA.

- AIP ENR 1.1 4.1